Crappy dvr, not ready for the wild (ancient post)

I was using MythTV this way with Plex (because I didn’t want to set up an actual computer to be the front end)

Part of what I like about Tablo was the ability to cut all that complexity out. Out of curiosity, what keeps you from using tablo natively on the front end?

We usually pick shows up from the two week schedule well ahead of time. We wind up watching a recorded show probably three or four days after it has been recorded. Most of the shows we record, we like to retain in a library so the post-processing kicks in that evening for a recorded show.

The only recorded shows we may watch immediately are ones we don’t think we’ll keep around. Those are rare. So there isn’t any stress on the Tablo from a dual recording\viewing angle.

We don’t use the Tablo for live viewing since my wife is a channel hopper maniac. This can only be done through the TV itself. She basically gives a show two seconds to catch her attention! So if the Tablo has recorded something, it usually has a tuner free and available for its post-processing without a viewer being there.

We also interleave shows recorded from the Tablo with other streaming packages we have (such as Amazon and Acorn). So we may watch something picked up from the Tablo every second night.

Gee, I’d make a great stress tester for Tablo :sleeping:

@CraigRoyce: I see this same attitude on every product related forum these days. Honestly it does get tiresome. I personally am enjoying my new Tablo. I think it works pretty darn good. Not perfect but it’s pretty darn good.

1 Like

Yes, its not perfect for everyone.
In my case it has some issues, but I’d rather have this alternative than cable/satellite and their charges.
Cable was commercial free, now its a mess. Don’t want high monthly payments for that…

Is this a new record for resurrecting a post? 6 years… :slight_smile:

Probably. I got an email notification and was like damn! This post is so old lol.

And it’s still true…

What is still true? The original post? That it’s a crappy DVR not ready for the wild?

Wow!!..even with all of the criticism that I’ve endured, I’ve never called it a “crappy DVR”!
That’s pretty harsh!..but then again, considering that (six years later) it’s still problematic, I think I know where the OP is coming from.
Sure, as compared to the costs associated with cable/satellite, it’s a better alternative.
No breaking news with that!
However, there are better (albeit more complicated to set-up) alternatives to Tablo (especially six years later).
If only they really took the time and effort to actually listen to their end user’s suggestions (instead of just reciting “we’re working on it”)…regarding a better user experience with actual new features and even basic abilities that other DVR’S had when the dinosaurs roamed the earth!
Such as the ridiculousness of it automatically reformatting a drive that was already dedicated to it, so that your previous drive’s recordings can’t be viewed on the Tablo ever again (surprise!)!
Beyond ludicrous and indefensible!!
…and perhaps not taking (literally) years to make improvements to what could actually be the gold standard but (unfortunately) will always fall short of expectations!

1 Like

Would you be willing to take a vow of silence for the next 30 days?

1 Like

Only if it pays me what you’re being paid to harass me!

Wow, we got a one line post from you rather than your usual 30 paragraph oration… :wink:

You usually keep your thoughts fairly isolated to the appropriate threads. I think we all get you are displeased. And while there is some validity to that “squeaky wheel” analogy you have mentioned before, you start doing it all the time and go beyond constructive criticism and you start weakening your own message.

Aside from my (appropriate) responses to the person who keeps insisting upon harassing me above (not you), my post above does contain mostly constructive criticism (as usual), whether you choose to interpret it as it’s intended or draw your own conclusions from it (your preogative…but it only serves as a distraction from what’s reality with this device and with this company).

No, It is true that there is an alternative available to getting ripped off by cable or satellite companies.
Tablo is not perfect but for the low cost I’m willing to deal with a little inconvenience.
That’s all I’m saying.
If you want to continue getting ripped off by cable, be my guest, its a free country.

I understand, 6 years is a long time.
Tablo should be trouble free by now if all other devices its linked to were to remain the same.
This little unit has to continue to adapt to changing technology over the years.
The developers need to deal with many 3d party companies and proprietary issues.
Just thinking about what Tablo has to manage to make everything work perfectly.

Automatically Reformatting your drive is a biggie, haven’t happened to me (yet).
Was that issue resolved? How did it happen?

Totally agree with you, was just clarifying what you were referring to.

Cool…
I’m new to this community…now i have to find and check the dates of threads so i don’t answer ancient blogs…my bad.

You should see a warning when trying to resurrect an ancient thread.

Wondering if the “warning” should be disabled for Halloween (the living dead).