Constant disconnecting after latest firmware update

@djk44883 @Aubrey I can confirm that so far, we have not found any new bugs that would cause connectivity issues. We are still investigating reports that come in very closely, but so far, most of these issues (as is the case for most firmware updates) are related to either a network problem or a brief connectivity hiccup that can be solved by a reboot.

Our advice is to follow the standard troubleshooting guide seen here: Troubleshooting Connectivity Issues – Tablo

And if you still have issues, to contact our support team either by email or phone: 1-844-TABLOTV (822-5688).

As a quick note: we do not recommend reformatting your drive, or factory resetting your Tablo before contacting our team to take a look. It is certainly possible that a pre-existing hard drive problem could be discovered with some investigation from our team and fixed, but we have no reason to believe drive errors would be caused by a firmware update.

Thanks! I have 2 devices, a Dual and a Quad. The Dual is kind of just “left over”, and I’ll update that later and see how things go. I know these are different devices, but do they use the same firmware? or just the same versions for a specific device?

From what little I’ve seen about stored update versions, they just seem to have revision numbers, none device specific …but I understand this may be a trade secret.

as unlikely as I hope this is true - suddenly “everyone” seem to have similar issues and coincidentally at the same time, allegedly after a firmware upgrade. Certainly this is odd.

I would bet that there are 1000’s of us that have absolutely no problems at all with our Tablo after the upgrade - almost 6 yrs now. Cheers!

3 Likes

1001! I just upgraded my Tablo Dual – not even taking too long or nothing. Waited out “rebooting”, then clicked done and everything seems to be functioning as expected. I can’t wait to figure out how much better it’ll be with the enhancements :wink:

I understand users have issues, but “self proclaiming” a non-existence bug can be troublesome for everyone… then again… it unlikely could be, yet unconfirmed :neutral_face:

THANKS TabloSupport

1002! Zero problems with every firmware update so far. I’m also going on 6 years with an original 2 tuner model using its original self powered 1tb hard drive.

2 Likes

1005, 1 OG 2-tuner, 2 OG 4-tuner models.
3 to 6 years old.

2 Likes

While I’m certain most people don’t have issues (I’m sure they tested it after all) it doesn’t mean that something doesn’t exist in the firmware, or the way it is delivered, that causes problems for a small subset of users. It’s practically impossible to test for all possible situations and outcomes.

I am happy for those of you without issues, but it seems more than coincidental to me that I had zero issues, then upgraded to the latest firmware, and now I have issues. Again it may not be the firmware itself and something that happened as it was delivered, but it also seems to me from other posts on here it is not an isolated issue.

I’m still waiting on hearing back from support, so I’m hopeful they can figure it out. If not I’ll try the factory reset and all else fails I am pretty sure I’m still under warranty.

Edit: and I just checked, my recordings all unsurprisingly failed last night. Never really had any issues before. A sporadic fail here or there that I chalk up to spotty reception. But i had 5 recordings fail yesterday on strong signal channels

IF, big IF, you’re absolutely certain it’s the firmware when tech support determines your issues are from the upgrade they do have a process to go back the your old firmware

You do not have to factory reset and loose everything, you do not have to format your drive and loose everything.

When you show them the firmware messed up your tablo, they can walk you through the “bank rollover” and revert to your previous version, with out

This is all speculation. If the firmware update process corrupted the HDD then even downgrading to the previous firmware won’t fix the corruption on the HDD. You’re still SOL.

As somebody who committed to the Tablo product line well before it actually was officially released, and have purchased three Tablos myself, the first in November 2014, and recommended it to countless family and friends who then went on to buy their own units, I have to say that one huge problem has remained an issue for me throughout my seven years of ownership.

The firmware and app software has been a continuing source of owner frustration. Having lived through every single release of updates of both server firmware and client app updates for Roku, Apple TV, IOS,and Nexus players, from the very beginning, there has been a pretty deadly combination of software bugs, insufficient testing, and dismissive blame of the victim. I never cease to be astonished when the words “alleged” “coincident” and “suddenly” fail to acknowledge legitimate customer complaints which all occur “suddenly” because a poor update is “suddenly” released.

There is a reason I have not posted here in at least a couple years, since there were no such problems, Only when “suddenly” an “alleged” problem in the firmware update turned both of my Tablos immediately into useless bricks Was it necessary to seek advice.

Since my previously originated thread complaining of this latest update was removed, and portions were merged with this thread, I wanted to report very positive progress solving the connection problem which many frustrated users are reporting. It is my hope that it may provide support people and consumers with some useful observations.

Below is my tentative but pretty likely solution:

I wanted to first say Thank you very much to all of you who have offered suggestions and assistance here. It is sincerely appreciated.

I’ve spent nearly a full day experimenting, rebooting, reformatting, et cetera. All of this has been in response to the firmware upgrade recently which took most of my DVR capabilities out of commission for a few days, as posted elsewhere on this forum.

What I ultimately learned was that my disk drives had both become corrupted/damaged, perhaps due to wear and tear, higher I/O traffic required by the firmware update, or some combination of both.

Even though reformatting the drives would temporarily recover some stability, the eventual “solution” was to put new drives into both of my Tablos. I have aggressively loaded both machines with very heavy work loads, using all tuners, doing a lot of shuttle fast forwards and generally high data rate activity. I am finally no longer seeing any connection problems, stalling, spinning cursor’s, or any error messages complaining of no disk space, no hard disk connection, player errors, etc.

My conclusion would be that marginal hardware combined with a more stress inducing firmware update caused my problems.

I have decided to add a third Tablo, and ordered it this afternoon. Operationally, it will replace my two tuner unit purchased in November 2014, with a quad tuner box with an SSD Samsung EVO 870 SATA drive. Compared to the SSD speed, I recognize that the peak demand for making or playing 4 simultaneous streams is orders of magnitude lower, but the low SSD SATA cost along with their low latency and no moving parts makes them an interesting alternative. Unlike some of my earlier experiences with SSDs, these drives, and especially the Samsungs, can write over 2 petabytes (2000 TB) before write “wear-out” is a problem. I also ordered a Samsung T7 USB external drive to be used on my older Tablo 4 tuner unit, just to see how it compares, and potentially enjoy the same benefits of the EVO SATA.

If my hypothesis is correct, and a marginal hard disk caused all of the totally disruptive “bricking” of my Tablos, when the update came along stressing them much harder, then I would suggest that future beta testing include a much wider range of older “compatible” discs, which may suddenly become Incompatible once the update is applied.

I will need another day or two to convince myself that the remedy I have described above is based on correct conclusions. I do think it is pretty safe to conclude that significantly increased disc traffic is at the root of this latest update kerfuffle.

That’s an interesting take. I pulled my HDD out earlier this evening and I have yet to have an issue just watching live TV. I will leave it out and see how it behaves tomorrow. I do think it may have become corrupted somehow during the update process, but I doubt it’s due to age, and hopefully it’s salvageable. It is just a 1TB HDD, not an SSD, but it’s under a year old, and it was the one that came preinstalled in the unit. Also, I’ve never filled it to capacity yet, so I doubt it’s had many rewrites.

When it was installed the HDD was noticably hot, but I don’t know if this is new since I never had a reason to check it before. So far most signs are pointing to it being a HDD issue though. Again, I’m still patiently waiting to hear back from support about it, but for now I’m going to leave the drive out and watch live TV. I’m tempted to try out an external drive on it in the mean time to see if I get any of the same issue.

“corrupted” HDD is kind of a vague and catch-all term. If the drive is physically dying, it’s reached the end of it’s life. Some have discovered bad cables can simulate this as well.

If the filesystem has some how become corrupted …repeatedly? - this is odd. Presumably maintenance mode cleans this up is possible (it’s unclear).

I’ve seen an occasional drive failure way more than I’ve seen a filesysten (ext4) become flubbed up beyond use, although it’s always possible and does happen.

But the phrase - my drive is corrupted, is vague. As here, it may have been synonymous with my drives are failing or dying, but this could be semantics.

1 Like

It IS semantics.

A few final thoughts from my Tablo reconnecting-problem after the firmware update:

• I cannot speak to the definition or existence of a “bug” or “corruption” in any of the software and hardware that makes up my home environment.

• I can speak to my satisfaction and appreciation of Tablo Support’s reading community posts and contacting me after their long holiday weekend. Even though my problems were solved, there are too many vendors who are totally unreachable or ignore their community forums.

• In the absence of Tablo support while they were out of the office, I was more interested in restoring the usability of my Tablo system than trying to identify the cause of my problem, so I just started trying things.

• My problem, whatever its cause, made the Tablo unusable with constant “Reconnecting…” messages on my Roku and “Unknown player error” on my iOS devices.

• My problem began immediately after I chose to install the firmware update. However, it is a true statement that the timing of my problem could just be a coincidence.

• After changing numerous network settings without any improvements, I decided to take the extreme step of a factory reset (despite Tablo’s warning against doing this unless requested by Tablo.)

• When the factory reset did not eliminate my problem, I decided to take the drastic step of reformatting my external drive.

• Reformatting my drive immediately eliminated my problem! But one could argue that this was also just a coincidence.

• It is correct that had Tablo Support been in the office during my 3-day battle with my Tablo, they may have diagnosed the source of the problem and repaired my environment with neither a factory reset nor a reformat being required.

• After examining log files from the short time between my factory reset and my later drive reformat, Tablo engineers apparently did not identify the source of my problem or tie it to the firmware update (per their community statements.)

• Even if I were the only Tablo customer in the world who experienced the unexplained “reconnecting” problem, I do not believe that the timing of my problem and the timing of my solution were coincidences. But that’s just my opinion.

• I also do not believe the similar “reconnecting” issues reported in the community (just 3?) are separate coincidences that are unrelated to my problem. But that also is just my opinion.

• Perhaps my external drive is on the verge of failure for some reason and that’s the common element between other users with a similar problem. Perhaps my reformat has simply postponed my need to replace an old external drive it to avoid another Tablo “Reconnecting…” problem.

• I agree that there are thousands, perhaps millions, of Tablo customers who have likely not experienced any problem after the update. That is a shout-out to Tablo for testing their firmware and rolling it out in stages.

• But I also wonder how many Tablo customers have had a similar problem, but never considered joining the community or even contacting Tablo support for help. I wonder if some customers have simply discarded their Tablo or purchased a competitive system. That’s sad; Tablo is a good product!

• Thanks for the interesting dialog!

1006 - went through and upgraded a Tablo Quad

zero issues, it didn’t corrupt my WD 7500-BPVT Blue, at least not right away … but as old as it is, hasn’t reached the end of life.

Interesting. Customer support got hold of me and I rolled back my firmware to 2.2.30 and I haven’t had any issues, even using the original HDD without formatting or anything. It’s been almost two days since the rollback and no reboot or disconnect issues at all. All my old recordings work and live TV functions perfectly. Everything seems just as it was before the update. I’m tempted to try to reinstall the update and see if it works and maybe the installation was botched, but i think I’ll wait and see what customer support suggests as the next step. Everything is good now, but it’s just a slight annoyance to click “update later” every time I start up.

As a side note, I did try to use an external drive with the old firmware and didn’t have the same issue, but similar (lots of excessive loading and buffering). I think whatever happened to my updated was making the HDD read/write excessively, since the drive was always being accessed, even when the tablo was idle. This doesn’t seem to be the case with me with the old firmware running. Also the HDD isn’t noticably hot with the old firmware. It’s warm, but it seems like a normal temperature now.

:tada: :fireworks: great you’re able to be up and running (yes, tablo’s live tech support can be helpful but their restrictive contact time is a super PITA for too many :frowning: )

The something went wrong - thing, is another possibility never really brought up (I don’t recall). I can see your temptation to chance it again, while at the same time… do you really want to?

One note: tablo has noted their updates are “rolling” - that is when (made up number, but they seem to be even numbered) 2.2.34 comes along, it will include the updates in 2.2.32 …unless the new enhancements somehow superseded them.

That’s one thing I was worried about. On the next update, if I install it will I be able to still fall back to the 2.2.30 or will it then use the 2.2.32 as the fallback, even if I’m still running the 2.2.30 when I install whatever the next iteration is. That’s definitely something I’m going to ask support about because I have a stable build now and I’d be reluctant to update if it means I’ll lose functionality.

I truly don’t know, but logically, you can’t fall back to a point you never were at… I kind of recall they do each upgrade sequentially, so, yea you would have been at 2.2.32

Although there were 2 upgrades relatively close together 2.2.28 and 2.2.30 I had a notice for each, not just the latest, even though some where they posted each upgrade is rolled up in the next, here’s some discussion about sequential upgrades

Wasn’t:

2.2.28 released February 2020
2.2.30 released June 2020

That seems around 4-5 months.