Commercial Skip Not working

Sometimes disconnecting from the tablo and exiting the app works. It seems to always work if you reboot the Roku.

But we gave up on tablo and use Plex for commerial skip recordings. The last test run on July 1st still had 20%-25% failure due to "Commercial Skip detection failed. " Not counting the missed detection in the other recordings.

On my Roku (4) the commercial skip feature is enabled, the shows say that Commercial skip is available but it doesn’t skip the commercials. Anyone having this problem?

When you pause the playback are the commercial skip sections yellow or gray?

They are grey. They seem to mark the commercials properly. On the episode “page” there is a yellow checkmark and “commercial skip is available”.

Grey means it is disabled on your Roku device. Commercial skip is obviously enabled on your Tablo DVR but you also need to activate it on your Roku.

Commercial skip was enabled on the Roku. I deleted the Tablo app and reinstalled and now it works. Thanks for the suggestion 3rdRockOKC! Rebooting the Tablo and the Roku didn’t solve the problem.

I’ve had to do this a couple of times on my tablet to fix issues but never had to do it on the Roku.

Or you can just push the down arrow on the Roku and it will activate/deactivate skip bars

Yeah, ad skip is totally not working on Roku. I’ve checked…it’s turned on, shows where commercials will be, just doesn’t skip.

I have the Roku premier, and I have commercial skip enabled, but I never see the yellow bars, and table does not skip commercials. I have tried pressing the down arrow on the Roku remote, and it tells me that commercial skip is active, but I don’t see any yellow bars, and a commercial just now came on. This is DVR recorded content (Blue Bloods-CBS)

First go to the settings screen on the Tablo app and verify that commercial skip is enabled. Once commercial skip is enabled your Tablo should process any future recordings to skip commercials.

Commercial skip processing starts after the recording is completed and preview thumbnails have successfully been created. It can take 10 to 15 minutes for thumbnails to be generated for a 1 hour program.

The commercial skip process can take an additional 2 to 3 hours to complete for a 1 hour program. If you see a yellow dot with a check mark in it, your recording has successfully completed commercial skip processing.

If when you click on a recording, and you don’t see a yellow dot, it usually means that the commercial skip processing hasn’t completed.

If you see a red dot when you click on a recording, it should have a message after the dot describing why commercial skip failed.

If you don’t see either a yellow or red dot after 2 or 3 days, then something is definitely wrong and you need to contact Tablo Support.

I personally feel the commercial skip needs work.

The statement listed below is a bit bogus, its as if Tablo makes this statement in order to not take responsibility for the low percentage commercial skips. I’d say 30% of my recordings have commercial skip and this is the reason posted (Commercial Skip detection failed due to poor reception)
Poor reception wouldn’t allow me to have consistent streams on all channels, if reception was poor I’d see issues with streaming also, not just on the Commercial skip. Tablo please look deeper to resolving this issue.

Commercial Skip detection failed due to poor reception
While recordings completed during periods of especially poor Over-the-Air reception won’t be eligible for upload at all, recordings with spotty reception can still fail commercial skip processing due to errors in the broadcast stream. If this is an error you see consistently, try improving the positioning of your Over-the-Air antenna.

And did the recordings that failed CS have thumbnails used for fast forward?

Some do and some don’t.

Thumbnails are needed for CS processing.

Thumbnails are usually missing because a some part, even a small part, of the recording can’t be processed. And I’ve had thumbnails produced where the actual recording has some amount of pixelation.

Thanks Zippy, I understand your point but this should all be done via Tablo software/device, there’s nothing we can do to enable or disable the Thumbnails. My point is, my reception isn’t an issue. No matter what testing you do the reception wouldn’t allow consistent streaming at all times but become inconsistent when the commercial skip process is active. After over 20 years of Network Eng and the past 7 on the Security side of the house, I can definitely make sure my network is up to par for streaming media up and down. I’m not saying the service is bad, I just think it needs more work to be consistent for all users.

Which is exactly why it’s in beta. They are giving everyone access to it for free (not to imply any future cost one way or the other) to keep refining it.

Pretty sure they’ve said this will be a “cost” feature. It’s one of the reasons why they ended the whole one subscription multiple devices policy.

Fair point. I couldn’t remember what the latest was, just that it’s no cost while in beta.

If it had a cost it would need to be just about perfect, or maybe $2.99 and not as perfect.

Maybe if they just charged on a per suscess episode. Or give credit for each failed, unless they provide a more descriptive reason why it’s not their devices fault. :neutral_face: