Chromecast support for iOS

TV Cast works OK.   It is slow start and does not pass the wife test.      I beg and plead Tablo gods, please bring Chromecast support to IOS.

That dang wife test…

1 Like

Any news from Tablo about a release date for Chromecast streaming from the Tablo app on iOS? I have a family member who uses only iOS devices … would be hard to refer her to Tablo without support for her iPad and iPhone.

Please Tablo … this should be #1 on your list of improvements considering how many iOS users are out there.

After reading this thread I now understand that Tablo does not currently allow for casting antenna related TV content from an IOS device (phone or pad) to a big screen TV via Chromecast. – However, is that functionality available from an IOS device to TV via Amazon Fire Stick?

NM, I was not conceptualizing the Fire Stick correctly. After researching further, I now realize the Fire Stick and Tablo work on a big screen TV via an app independent from a mobile device (like a Roku) and does not require casting from a device (like Chromecast)? – I too am very much looking forward to IOS Chromecast ability. I prob will wait for that functionality before moving forward with purchasing a Tablo.

Given the wide availability and popularity of many other Android devices for playback on an HDTV such as the Fire TV and Nexus Player, I would think casting from an iOS device to Chromecast will be a long wait. But I am only speculating, it is still a fair warning.

I was surprised to find my new Tablo did not support Chromecast streaming from iOS. It’s been a while since the last official update from Tablo on this topic. Have we made any progress on this front ?

In the meantime, I’ve been able to cast through Plex, but the UI is not as nice as the native Tablo app. The new apple TV with native Tablo App would be my next option.

Question for TABLO: Any guidance on which of the two (iOS Casting / Native Apple TV app) we will see first ?

We’ll definitely have the AppleTV app ready first. That’s what our iOS team is focusing on at the moment.

When that’s done, we’ll be able to go back to our other iOS apps to do some additional updates like adding Chromecast support.

2 Likes

@TabloTV

any chance we get an eta on when there’s gonna be an eta for the new atv app? :smile:

@jayeffgee - If we had an official date, you would have heard about it. Pinky swear!

As soon as we have an update to share, we will.

2 Likes

Just adding my support for chromecast via iOS so as to potentially up the priority a bit :-). Just retired my Windows Media Server OTA/DVR and went Tablo/Chromecast on our three tvs and got this nasty surprise when trying to show my wife how to watch TV through her iPhone (I use Android). Needless to say my wife was not impressed and now wondering why I spent hundreds of dollars upgrading when the “old way worked fine”. So anything thing you guys can do to up the priority, it would greatly be appreciated. Thanks! Get product otherwise.

For the wife factor, I would likely recommend getting a Nexus Player ($50) and it has its own standalone app for the Tablo. No need to cast but it also does support all the casting features of the Chromecast.

1 Like

@kensatx I agree with you. My household is mostly iOS but with older Android Tablets for use with Tablo. Tablets are expensive enough that I don’t want to dedicate one as a TV controller. Netflix, Youtube, PlutoTV, FilmOn, … provide excellent functionality with Chromecast from both iOS and Android platforms. It would be great if Tablo could do the same.

Just giving a +1 for the iOS app to support Chromecast. Any update on the timeline?

I just bought a Tablo and somehow missed that this feature was lacking. Hoping for an update on the app, otherwise I fear this is going to fail the wife test :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just got the Tablo and its amazing how more professional it is over the HDHomerun. Although we have a Chromecast in every room and almost everyone (but me) have iPhones. Ironic, but it would help if we could get an update with native Chromecast support since it seems this ticket is almost 2 years old.

Add me to those who thought that my new Tablo would work with my Chromecast from the Tablo app on my iPhone. Please see if you can add that soon, a lot of us are disappointed and you would sell more Tablos. Thanks, Mark

1 Like

I also use the TV Cast with Chromecast with my iPhone. It is decent, but can be a bit clunky unlike the Tablo app.

Adding my vote to get native Chromecast support in the tablo app.

I’m not finding a Chromecast button within the Tablo app on my iPad Air 2. Still no Chromecast support for iOS?!? :cry:

1 Like

I recently bought a 4 tuner Tablo after “Much” research. In reading through the information from Tablo I was under the distinct impression that the Tablo supported IOS. I was shocked to find that the Tablo did not support the iPhone or iPad casting to Chromecast. As it stands there is no easy way watch Tablo on your big screen TV with Chromecast. Tech support told me to buy a Roku. Problem is that I own two Chromecast devices. I did not read this Tablo forum before I bought the Tablo or I might not have bought one. The Tablo is a great device but Tablo’s information is very misleading. I have read this form concerning Tablo working with IOS and it seems that there is a great deal of interest in Tablo fixing this issue. There a millions of us out here with iPhones and iPads. “PLEASE TABLO”, if you read these forums stop stalling and fix this issue.

You could use Plex on your iPhone and cast through the Tablo channel.

This is not ideal as the Plex channel is not supported by Tablo directly, but is a decent workaround.

The Atv4, Roku 3 or 4 and the Nvidia shield are the preferred devices as they run the Tablo software natively

1 Like

Btw the Chromecast is a nice device and I use one myself to play flash based content from my PC, but if you’re serious about cordcutting you should invest in a better, more robust streaming box, my 2 cents…

1 Like