Chromecast support for iOS

@hunt_trex

I’m not trolling you.

I gave you the update that Tablo provided 2 weeks ago to everyone. Because you claimed in your post it has been 6 months.

I also tried to give you viable options while you wait.

Hey all - let’s not get carried away here. I’m sorry I didn’t see this sooner.

@hunt_rex Chromecast for iOS is a priority, but right now the team is focusing on the Roku revamp, and that’s going to take a little while longer. We hope to get Chromecast for iOS in as soon as we can - among a few other things we’d like to catch up on once Roku’s done.

I wish we could provide some kind of timeframe, but we’re just not that close yet. It’s still something we’re committed to supporting, and we do see it as a priority. We’re just not close enough to commit to a date at the moment. We’ll provide more insight when we can.

Thanks @TabloSupport for the clarification - much appreciated!

My Chromecast would like a Tablo app, but my Fire TV Stick would love a Tablo app first - if we’re voting on priorities :wink:

Thanks @TabloSupport for the response.   I was initially disappointed that it did not have the feature, but other benefits I’m am finding with the device is making me fall in love with it. 

Currently trying to the the Plex channel to work for casting live TV on the Chromceast.  If I get that working that should hold me over.  I’ll look at is as a late Christmas present when Chromecast support comes :).
I’ve also noted your other posts on the forum which shows there is great support.  Not to mention your mastery of animated gifs. 

I've also noted your other posts on the forum which shows there is great support.  Not to mention your mastery of animated gifs. 

Thank you! 

Wait…what?  I was just looking through here to find out how to run  Chromecast stuff, having just purchased a Tablo having been led to believe it supported Chromecast on iPhone/iPad.  To be sure, it offers what I desired in dvr/guide and I didn’t mind forking over the $50 for the guide service.  I spent a lot of time in the manual and videos before making my purchase. I’m not exactly happy to find this out. I was able to use the web app on my PC to throw to Chromecast, and it seemed to work very well. I applaud your enthusiasm for your product, and I think it’s a great product (of course, that;s with a week under my belt) but please add me to your list of customers awaiting iPhone/iPad Chromecasting! 

I’m with ya, Stan.  Can’t believe that Tablo cast on iPhone is not supported.  The marketing hype was ambiguous, probably by design.  Naively, I believed that the most popular cell-phone HAD to be supported. . .  My mistake.

We do intend to add Chromecast from iOS. 

On this page we thought we made it pretty clear though by saying:
If you’d like to watch programming on your big screen TV, you’ll also need an AppleTV (which uses AirPlay from an iPad), Roku or a Chromecast dongle (which uses the Android app). You can also use the web app with an HDMI-enabled computer connected to your TV.

I’m just checking in on the Chromecast support from iOS. 

I know there was some talk on here about having in early 2015, and I see some ambiguity from Tablo on this. I have friends asking me about how well it’s working and right now this is the only hesitation I have. Everything else has been outstanding. I love the flexibility of using my own external drive, setting my own resolutions, etc. I’ve had a few minor technical issues, but I’ve learned that I just can’t rely on the Android app. The web app on a laptop is much, much better. The iOS app works extremely well but this is one area that I am just not pleased about. I have to agree with some of the other mentions on this page that the advertising and marketing are very simply misleading. I still think this is the best option on the planet right now so I am sticking with it. Please do, however, provide an anticipated timeline for Chromecast via iOS. 

I have recently found that the “TV CAST” app works great with Chromecast from my iPhones.  It has its own browser, and you simply use my.tablotv.com as your home page.  Excellent control of playback from my iPhone.  It will do just fine until Tablo on iPhone can support playback through Chromecast.

@dbailey

Is TV CAST free in the App Store?

Good solution for those waiting - thanks!

@theuser86  The app itself is free, but it has many in-app purchases available. Including multiple levels for removing ads form the app?  :-/

TV Cast was free, but they do have a “premium” version for $6.99, I think.

I cannot find tv cast in the App Store!.?

TV Cast works OK.   It is slow start and does not pass the wife test.      I beg and plead Tablo gods, please bring Chromecast support to IOS.

yes please. IOS for chromecast. I was told this was planned last July. It’s taking way too long.

With 10 million Chromecasts sold:

It out sells Amazon Fire:
http://www.cnet.com/news/more-households-buying-streaming-media-players-roku-still-tops/

72 million iphones sold.  

I can’t understand why the effort to support Amazon fire has been added before Chromecast for IOS.

@hunt_trex

Cause Chromecast is a horrible device (my opinion), when compared to Roku and Fire TV and Apple TV. My Chromecast is permanently retired and I make a bet at least 5 million of those 10 are too.

Plus Apple has locked down their devices which makes this more difficult.

If you have an iOS device and need mirroring, get an Apple TV.

@theuser86   Another attempt to be funny or trolling again?     Please do not respond to any posting that I post.  You do not add value to any conversation and your opinion has been stated in the past.

1 Like

@hunt_trex

Just making educated speculation why the Fire TV was a priority over the iOS Chromecast. Hopefully Tablo will give you a more official response - till then your guess is as best as mine.

Many Chromecast users have been converted to Fire TV for Tablo playback. Just take a read of some of the threads.