Bizarre buffering/repeating when watching Live TV; Gets stuck in an endless loop of about 25 seconds

TP Link Archer C9 running all on 5ghz

Might be silly but have you tried swapping out the Rokus? See if one of the others duplicates the problem in the bedroom when wireless.

Hey also just read from a post in January from @snowcat that Tablo doesn’t support wireless AC, only up to N. Maybe @tablotv can confirm?

1. The OP’s Tablo is hard wired. But yes, the WiFi is dual-band Wireless N on the Tablo.
  2. Roku 3 is also only dual-band Wireless N, but most AC routers allow the 5 GHz band to fall back to N connections if the client does not support AC.

@PlanePilot

1. Do you have different SSIDs (aka wireless network names) for your 2.4 GHz band and 5 GHz band?
  2. Is your 5 GHz band set to only AC mode or both AC and N?

Re-positioned the router and switched to 2.4 and it’s not as bad. So it is wifi strength. I’m lucky that my switch on my entertainment center is on the same wall as my bedroom. I will be punching a wire through the wall this weekend and make it a wired connection!

Interesting - while 5 GHz band is faster than the 2.4 GHz band, it does not do well over long distances or through walls. How far is your router and said Roku apart?

About 30ft but it has to go through a kitchen wall and bedroom wall!! My Netgear had better range but it started dropping wifi so I returned it. At least I have the option of running a wire.

@PlanePilot
Glad to hear you’re up and running :smile:
Feel free to give us a shout directly if you need anything else!

Hi, just for your info, this happened to me too and I’m using Apple TV Airplay.
I had to disconnect power Tablo device and reconnect.

Just experienced the same issue on my Roku 3 (firmware 6.2 3467) and 2 tuner Tablo. I have pretty good signal reception. Since I’m not a big fan of power cycling I tried the suggested idea of subsequently tuning to two different channels. And it worked! The channel that was in an endless loop got unstuck. Thanks for the tip.

I’ve also just experienced this issue on my Roku 3 (firmware 6.2 3467) and from my Chrome browser (version 44.0.2403.155 m) on my laptop. I’ve tried the fix by tuning to 4 different channels, without success.Since it happened from two independent devices, i’m inclined to think that it has more to do with the Tablo or weak signal as some have thought. I haven’t yet rebooted my Tablo

I am having this same issue! Help!

@Msswan727 A good note by @tvance - you can just get the Tablo’s tuners to user another channel, and then go back to the channel experiencing this issue.

If it’s still happening, you know the reception is still corrupted. The main issue here is that instead of ‘retrying’ or just ending the stream when it becomes ‘untunable’ is that the Roku video player will just continue to loop the last video segment it received.

I’m getting the same repeat issue. My RF signal is strong. I have 100 Mb connection with repeaters so it’s not a network issue. I am running the Roku 3 on all TV’s so I believe it is a bug in the Roku. Very frustrating. Love my Tablo but this makes watching Live TV and Recordings painful and really useless. I hope the Tablo team can come up with a fix soon.

1 Like

I also get this issue occasionally. Roku, other devices work fine. It plays and then “Buffers” for a while, then loops back and repeats. Channel and WiFi Signal is strong. Seems to mostly happen on Live TV and when watching a Recording in Progress.

@tonyd and @japzone - make sure you are running the Roku 9044 load. That totally cleared up all my loading please wait and issues like you describe.

(Edited to correct Roku load name to 9044, not 944.)

What is the Roku 944 load?

It is the newest build of the Roku 7 firmware.

It’s also on ROKU TV"S

Just to avoid any confusion, I think we all mean Build 9044.