Bizarre buffering/repeating when watching Live TV; Gets stuck in an endless loop of about 25 seconds

Yes jdoe. Thanks for correcting me. I meant 9044 but wrote 944. I must have had a thought about cars. :grinning:

I am using tablo with a web browser (chrome) and my tablo loops also. It happens on live tv on one of my strongest channels. I tried another channel and it did the same thing after a while

@daleshue If this continues, please send us a ticket. We’ll get this taken care of.

I’ve been watching live TV as well on a Roku 2 and a Roku 3. Both set ups are wireless and in different places within my home. When watching live the Roku 2 will loop and repeat the loop until I’m pretty much tired of hearing it, forcing me to stop the unit, go back to the guide and selecting my live program again. This is a recurring problem with my Roku 2. This is definitely not due to lack of wireless signal strength OR lack of HDTV signal strength. The signal strength where my Roku 2 is placed is at full strength. My wireless Roku 3 seems to be behaving fine with live TV playback and without any hiccups. The issue is mostly likely a much needed fix with the TABLO firmware or possibly a Roku update (unlikely). Can someone please help me identify the issue? The firmware I’m using on the Roku 2 is version 7 build 9044 – Roku 4200x. My TABLO firmware is 2.2.8 channel 2 build 20. With 83+ posts on this since January of 2015, one would think that this issue would be resolved by March of 2016, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. Can someone help direct me on what to do?

The Roku 2 model 4200X is the original model.
The Roku 2 model 4210X (or R) is the updated 2015 model, which has the same internals as the Roku 3.

Recommend you swap Roku locations.
If the problem follows the Roku 2, then you isolated the problem to that Roku.

By the way, I’m using a Roku 2 model 4210X wirelessly with great results.
Wireless network: 802.11g (~70 feet from wireless router; 3 internal walls between)

I’m sorry, I didn’t make that clear, the Roku actually is 4210. Also my other Roku is a Roku 4 (not 3) that works without a problem.

What do you mean?

With 83+ posts on this since January of 2015, one would think that this issue would be resolved by March of 2016, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

The problem was resolved by Roku releasing version 9044, so it must be something about your setup.

Let’s start with: What recording quality are you using?

Okay, still recommend you swap Roku locations to isolate the issue.

try rewinding about a min. seemed to help.

I’ve been having the same issues…I’ve tried to update the Roku 2 (4210X) but it says it is up to date on version 7.1.0 build 4062-04. I’m not sure why I can’t update to 9044?? Any suggestions??

Build 9044 is for 7.0 I think.

1 Like

That is correct.
I have a Roku 4, and Roku 2 (2015).
These are my previous, and current OS versions.

Roku v7.0.0 Build 9044 (Roku 2 model 2015)
Roku v7.0.0 Build 8906 (Roku 4)
Roku v7.1.0 Build 4062-04 (Roku model 2015)
Roku v7.1.0 Build 4062-17 (Roku 4)

1 Like

@Dgshaffer - If you’re seeing a loop of several seconds being replayed, this can be an issue with the signal from your antenna. Touch base with Tablo support and they can confirm this: http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

I’ve had them check my antenna…it has a strong signal. I’m not far from OTA towers. I selected the 720p, 3 mbps setting and it seems to have helped some. I will continue to monitor…

This is still happening 7 months later. We have to reboot our Tablo at least once a day. There is no other way to get out of a loop. It just keeps repeating over and over.

It seems like weak signals trigger it, maybe not, but that’s what it seems like.

1 Like

This is still happening guys, and it is essentially making me not use my Tablo. I’ve had to restart the damn thing 3X this morning within a 1 hour period. It plays a sequence, buffers, then plays it again, and again. Even if you leave the Tablo app and come back 5 hours later, for that channel it will do this for ever. It is the Roku app.

This sucks.

How solid is your antenna reception? I would start there. That’s where everything starts. The Tablo is at the end of the chain.

Nothing has really changed since I’ve had it (bought it when it first came out). I can understand buffering if the signal is poor, but it replays the same 30 seconds over and over, forever, it is stuck in the same spot. Even when you come back 1 hour, 1 day, or 1 week. That seems like a software defect not an issue with the antenna. If the signal was poor, it should buffer from that point, right?

Since many users don’t have this problem, why is this a software defect? Wouldn’t it affect everyone?

It doesn’t necessarily have to be a “poor” signal. Multipath can make a signal seem strong BUT jumpy. I had a situation a few years ago in which a signal showed strongly on the meter but in practice was jittery and caused the tuner all sorts of fits. For instance, the signal meter showed 100% signal strength but also 20 to 30 error packets per second. The tuner could not handle that high of an error rate and would bail out (even causing the PC to crash).

Just because it doesn’t happen widespread doesn’t mean it’s not a defect, it’s an edge case.