Bizarre buffering/repeating when watching Live TV; Gets stuck in an endless loop of about 25 seconds

I’ve had this problem for several months and tried power cycling both the Tablo and the Roku (now 6.1) independently. Only cycling the Tablo seemed to work for me. Given that my Tablo is upstairs I was not impressed. After trying a number of other techniques the only consistent solution without cycling power seems to be “Edit Channel Lineup”, “Rescan” and then “Add to Guide”.  I’ve shown off my Tablo to many of my friend who are interested but I cannot recommend it with this bug.

I was getting the ‘looping’ problem a lot last night and I tried rebooting the Tablo and my Roku 3 and it did nothing.

I used one of the recommended usb drives. WD Elements.

I noticed that it was constantly blinking and my live tv viewing kept repeating.

I removed my hard drive and now no repeating.

My thoughts were if I’m using the Tablo to catch my OTA and share it over my home via streaming devices (my roku 3)
then how would it repeat a live tv feed?

I’m thinking there is a glitch between the tablo and hard drive somewhere.

It would be great to figure out a way for the hard drive to only be accessed when I press record or viewing a prior recording.

Just my 2 cents Thanks :slight_smile:

@BrendaS - Is this on Roku? If so, this can be due to signal issues. Roku will default into a mode of recycling the previous segment when it’s not able to get a signal for the next one. 

Is this issue resolved? Did tablo announce a fix?

@Kay - This is the standard behavior on Roku. It is related to a poor signal from your antenna and not a fault w/ the app. Have you experienced any other signal issues? 

I had a similar issue yesterday when playing live stream on my Roku3. When I started to play live tv in the late afternoon, the feed that was playing was something from early morning because it had a news ticker with the time on it. Thought it was a problem with the Roku so I played the same live TV on my Nexus7. It started in the same spot. I didn’t wait to see if it looped, but my guess is that it would have. I rebooted the Tablo with a short press of the reset switch and everything was fine after that. Would the problem with the Roku cause playing of the live stream on any other device to do the same looping thing?

I have the same looping issue on one channel for weeks. It was indeed due to poor signal strength but has corrected, yet the channel still has the looping problem. I have the Roku 3 Tablo 4 channel tuner and am on version 6.2 Build 3467. I have stopped short of a factory reset. Has there been. A fix yet?

Disregard…it seems after I did a rescan of my channels and restarted my Roku, that did the trick.

If you have the issue in the future, I’ve found that tuning to different channels equal to the number of tuners works. For example, if you have a 4 tuner, and are stuck on 1 channel, tune to 4 different channels, one after the other. The tuner that’s “stuck” will then be used on a different channel. You can then tune back to the looping channel and it should work. I’ve done this and it’s worked for me.

1 Like

This issue is generally caused by poor signal strength. Yes there are workarounds as you described but I found the best way to fix is it to resolve the signal issues with either a larger OTA antenna, repointing said antenna, and/or use a distribution amplifier before the Tablo.

Unless you already have a large roof antenna hooked to an amp, and have the problem with a fringe station 50 miles past the local towers. Then the options are tune all the tuners to other channels, or never use the fringe station. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay, my TV just started doing this. I have my Tablo and Den Roku hard wired. Recordings and live TV work fine on the wired Roku. Now my Bedroom Roku 3 is wireless. I can watch recorded shows without a problem. But live TV is the problem. I am trying to watch my strongest channel (5miles away) and it just loops!!! This all started when I changed routers. My roku is saying wifi signal strength is good. I rescanned the channels. What else can I do? So frustrating reading all the responses about poor signal quality. I have a set of rabit ears hooked up to the TV and the signal is fine watching on that. So I would think my high $ roof mount would be even better? How could a router change affect the TV signal quality since that is all that has changed on my system recently?

Reboot your Tablo and router.

I have tried rebooting everything. Still keeps looping??

Is it raining where you are? Weather can affect signal quality.

No partly cloudy. The TV transmitter is 5 miles away. I can stick a piece of wire in the cable connector any pick up the channel. Why would it not do it on the wired roku? If its the TV signal, I would think it would affect all Rokus wired or not.

Go to my.tablotv.com on the Chrome browser on a computer, go to Settings and uncheck Fast Live TV Startup.

I already verified that? I just tried on my kids Roku 2 and it plays fine? It is closer to the router? Maybe it’s a wifi signal issue? I’m going to move the router around a bit. This is a new AC router with beam forming. I have great signals on my PC and phone in the bedroom. Strange… Thanks for all the suggestions!!

What router?

Are you running the Roku on the 2.4 or 5 GHz band?

Did you reboot the Roku?