Audio problem after firmware 2.2.28

I’m having terrible problems with newer recordings only. Older recordings done back in May & June have NO issues. current recordings like my daily recording of Fox news has TERRIBLE chirping during the commercials, almost quits during the actual broadcast-ed news. The commercials are bad enough my wife usually refuses to watch the entire program. We are using the Tablo Internet app. I can watch it on a smart TV thru its roku app & the same program does NOT chirp (I don’t do this very often as using the TV is VERY inconvenient) I’ve also noticed that getting the Tablo to connect to the app without a reboot EVERY time is basically impossible now. It USED to connect very easily & quickly… I haven’t been able to connect without a reboot for weeks now. I’m using 2.2.30

My Tablo started to have this issue last week. I just submitted a support ticket. Has there been any fixes for this issue?

My issue is a loud squeaky noise on new recordings only. Live TV and past recordings have no issues. I’ve rebooted, no help. It doesn’t matter which channel I record, same issue.

*** Update *** I changed the Recording Quality to SD 480 - 2Mbps in the Settings, General section. The squeak went away. After I finish a recording I will switch it back and see what happens.

*** Another update *** I switched the recording back to HD 720-3Mbs (recommended) (I have an old TV) and now my recordings are squeak free!

A possible work around that I used recently when this started on a recording was to stop playing the recording, go to a live program, play it for a minute or two and go back to the recording. I also tried this on a live program and it worked too.

I fixed my squeak!

I changed the Recording Quality to SD 480 - 2Mbps in the Settings, General section. The squeak went away. After I finish a recording I will switch it back and see what happens.

*** Update *** I switched the recording back to HD 720-3Mbs (recommended) (I have an old TV) and now my recordings are squeak free!

I hate to burst anyone’s bubble in this thread, but, this problem is not fixed. If it were, we’d get some feedback from Tablo and they have been absent. While I don’t seem to get this artifact as much as I did early on, I still get it occasionally. I’m not convinced it’s gone and I don’t think a workaround is a valid solution.

Come on Tablo, when can we see a fix?

2 Likes

I had this issue happen yesterday while watching live TV. I changed channels and it still happened. I changed channels again and the squeaking was gone. I changed back to the original channel and the squeaking was gone.

The squeaky audio issue is happening on my system.
It’s occurring on live TV channels and is present on a recorded show as well.
Very annoying.

Firmware 2.2.30
Local CBS channel (KIRO)
Channel tuned at 1080 with green circles (excellent signal quality)

I had noticed this randomly again. I export my shows and figured it was a reception/source encoding issue - oh well.

I’ve noticed it again, too bad to get through from a CBS show again! So now I may be seeing a pattern and may record random shows, and watch via taboo app first to confirm… or not it’s one network

I have this issue on most live channels. It makes my Tablo useless. It’s frustrating that this has been a prolonged issue with no fix. Tablo, the ball is in your court.

1 Like

No idea what’s going on, whether it’s the tablo, the broadcast or a combination. Since that last episode of Celebrity Family Feud, I’ve only noticed in particularly through an incomplete recording from a PBS recording.

I’ve had it a few times, but it’s been a couple/few months since I’ve encountered it.
note: Title is about 2.2.28 and my tablos are 2.2.30

After a couple of months of no chirping it returned this week on live TV. I switched channels a few times and went back to the original channel and it was gone. Haven’t had the problem on any recordings lately.

1 Like

Well I only got my unit this January and it didn’t start for a couple of months. I did all the firmwares, and I’ve reduced the res for recording and playback to the minimum. It still happens. What’s the next workaround?

I am going to try Tablo Ripper on the next recording with an issue to see if it removes the chirping.

Just say’n, I export my recordings… they chirp. Haven’t had an issue for a very long time. It’s saved in the recording, so it will be in “the source”, - though your mileage may vary

I hadn’t realized the issue at first, though it was a faulty export. When I wanted to see if it was a particular channel/network/show… it stopped. Question: is there something common or completely random on any/every channel? network? particular show? (different broadcast channels/networks with different resolutions) just wondering about consistency between variables.

I can tell you something about the consistency, but it makes it seems like superstition. Mostly, I just use the Tablo to record 1 show on 1 channel. The chirp never happens during the show, but about half the commercials have the chirp really loud! I don’t mind that so much, but I taped a movie on another channel and it had the chirp all the way through, but it was quieter (but still unacceptable). The only workaround I’m aware of is reducing the playback and recording resses, but that didn’t work.
Tablo’s R&D is in Ottawa, isn’t it? Well, it shouldn’t be too hard for them to duplicate the problem since it happens on Ottawa channels.

After running the resolution at its lowest setting for a while, the chirping went away. However, it’s been back a couple of times.
I suspect this problem might be caused by power outages. When I first got it, I hooked it up to a smart plug and regularly powered it off, which I was told I could do. After the chirp went away, I kept it powered 24/7. Now that I’ve had to move it several times, the power also got cycled. There may be a connection.

Tablo Support when is this going to be fixed? I have the same issue!

1 Like

I am having same problem. It actually sounds like someone is fast forwarding an old tape player over top of the show’s sound. It is random when it happens.

1 Like

I have the same issue. Recording is from 09/16/2021 at 2pm.
It sounds very much like a tape fast forwarding. I expect the video to jump ahead, but it and the dialogue are fine.

I’m going to open a new thread since this one is old and cites an old firmware.

Same problem with no fix.