Antop Antennas!

My Antop 400BV made OTA Great Again! Before I was getting too many dropouts and pixelation. My Antop cured that. Every station that I want to see is solid. I am about 21 miles LOS from the main towers and closer to some smaller stations.

3 Likes

The Antop AT-400 has an intriguing architecture. My brother has one and we took it apart before he mounted it. I took photos and measurements with the intention of building one. Just to see how and why it performs so well. Iā€™ll compare this design against my other antennas. Waiting for the heat and humidity to abate before testing it.

Iā€™ve even rescaled it to a larger size to see whether this architecture works at different sizes. So I have two versions of it - the original and the resized for experimentation.

4 Likes

Our Boston friend pnkflyd51 has some news over at the AVS Boston OTA thread. He bought the HI-LO VHF antenna Winegard HD7000R.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/28454-boston-ma-ota-408.html#post58483064

1 Like

Ah thank you for posting thisā€¦ I have been following a couple of the threads at AVS since you mentioned it (I had been a member but wasnt active since getting rid of my ReplayTV ) ā€¦ but interesting to see that the antenna I was looking at was what he used and it workedā€¦ Now that said, I have a preamp that has separate UHF/VHF inputs ā€¦ so I am going to guess this should work if I connect it to the VHF input lug.

Iā€™m guessing heā€™s about 25 miles from the broadcast tower. He put the Winegard in his attic. VHF input on the amp is a bonus - he had to buy a VHF-UHF combiner.

WGBH has also a page to petition the FCC for a power increase. You might want to add your voice here:

https://www.wgbh.org/spectrum-auction-rescan

1 Like

I did fill in the form thanks!

In responding to a reception question in the ā€œTVA in Hawkesburyā€ thread, I noticed that Digiwave is promoting their ā€œnew conceptā€ antenna - identical to the Antop. The Hawkesbury user asking the question has a Digiwave antenna (not their Antop type) and I went to the Digiwave website to learn more about his particular antenna. Then I noticed on their home page their ā€œnew conceptā€ antenna (their description identical to Antopā€™s):

Digiwave is one of the (several) licensed, co-branded dealers of Antop product. Youā€™ll notice that all of their ā€œnew conceptā€ antennas have the letters ā€œANTā€ (from Antop) in the model number. You are correct, same antenna, same specs, etc.

Of course, I think of something else when I see ā€œANTā€.

Talk about ā€œbranding.ā€ How about personalized antops with logos? HOA approved? Why not? People fly college flagsā€¦

scrot

2 Likes

Done!

antop

5 Likes

The ultimate revenge! Beautiful.

2 Likes

Well Done!

Instead of sports logos, how about great artworks such as the Mona Lisa? For more middle class art, Thomas Kinkade antennasā€¦ How could an HOA object to a Kinkade scene?

antop

3 Likes

Antop Star Wars or Digiwave Star Trek?

Why stop at that, how about the works of M.C. Escher ā€¦ make the Antop appear to be moving, as sort of an optical illusion.

Interesting DIY build (attic) for ch 5 here (post 12263):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/28454-boston-ma-ota-409.html#post58537064

1 Like

Now thatā€™s what I call an antenna. Excellent DIY on that!

Thereā€™s GLaDOS promising everyone cake!! Oh no, weā€™re doomed! haha