Yet Another For the list - suddenly "Recording failed due to weak signal."

Will the channel you are having trouble happen to be one of public television like pbs?
Recently, several public television licensees have opted to take a technological step backward in exchange for cash from the FCC spectrum auction that will help finance their stations’ futures.

No, 13 WTVG never, over the years have I had an issue. Even odder, often get more channels later at night, not signal loss.

djk44883, since you mention WTVG I must be in the same area. I am also having problems with 13 and also 11. You’re not alone.

Yes, I live in greater NW Ohio. I generally have no problem with either of these nor 24, 36 or 30.

Until very recently anyhow. I have 2 tablo’s - I’ve been recording same shows on both, and it seems the issue is on one with a longer cable run – which has been in place for over a year ---- issue free.

Independently the second tablo was/is a refurbished unit, but it’s been in service since Oct '19 so that’s nothing.

@ronintexas has some technical info about atmosphere and related issues. In over 30yrs never seen this, but now I suspect it may be related to the extreme heat related weather… or another coincidence. It’s not as prevalent, but not completely 100%.

I also have a small fan on the tablo. It’s in an unused room, so it’s hot in there when it’s hot outside. (there’s too many conspiracy theories about overheating devices).

If I/we get a round two simultaneous government money I’m strongly considering getting a Quad. Have everything on one device “centrally located”. It would be nice if the long cable run worked like it always did, but I’m not sure I care to mess with it again.

I went with a direct cable run from the attic to a 3-way splitter (about 30’ of cable), and have two Tablo 4-tuner DVRs and a TV hooked up. I stream to the other devices in the home. When I tried to split to the TVs in the house, the reception wasn’t consistent (cable runs?), and so I went with streaming. The nice part? It is in a cool room, and I don’t have to worry about cabling. I let my Orbi Mesh Routers send out the signal.

The two Tablo DVRs perform about the same as the TV tuner (the TV will pixelate at about the same rate, but eventually recovers, where the Tablo gives the “no signal error” and doesn’t recover). On those summer nights where I have problems - I usually resort to streaming (Roku Channel, Stirr, Pluto, etc).

As the world changes, lot of things are different all the time. I know there are multiple ISPs providing wireless internet, LTE cell service, etc coming and going in areas and regions. Then there’s unknown topography changes that don’t even have to be in your vivacity to have an impact.

It’s also unknown, stations may be making equipment changes thinking ASTC 3 is a good thing for everyone… to monitor what consumers are doing to provide targeted ad “for an improved experience” and possibly have paid content.

I have no problem with a (single) split running +50’ around the house (RG6). The TV may have an occasional rare pixal, the tablo sometimes at least tries with segmented recordings but not always.

At the other end, about 10-15’ from the amp-splitter there’s a splitter for TVs and tablo. It has little to no problems.

Yea, the tablo does seem to be more sensitive and wants an ideal setup.

But really, until recently I didn’t have any real problem with this setup. It was just coincidental I had noticeable problems after firmware upgrade which included “enhancements” 2.2.28:

There are also a number of smaller enhancements that will improve performance for those who have channels with marginal or problematic reception, tweaks to the algorithm behind what is marked watched, and MUCH more.

Now that NW Ohio is in a temporary cool down, all my channels are coming in clear again.

There may be some improvements. I only have 4 recording from 13.6 this week without issue, time after 11pm.

But we’ve had record heat waves in years past and not lost reception… but I’m not usually up that late (I"m up at 4:30am) and only recently have more than 3 sub-channels each, so I may not have had a reason to record in the past.

Other channels seem to alright, I have noticed “across the board” failures a couple weeks ago, now it’s directly related to a lightening strike to the transformer on the utility pole knocking out the power.

djk44883

“Until very recently anyhow. I have 2 tablo’s - I’ve been recording same shows on both, and it seems the issue is on one with a longer cable run – which has been in place for over a year ---- issue free.”

So the issue is more likely to be related to a weaker signal.

Any chance that high wind has changed the direction of your antenna?
Pets or pests might have chewed on a cable?

JimH

Antenna looks like it’s still anchored solid. I have checked the cable and connections. I replaced the 25 year old cable a year or so ago. Connectors tight and secure, no nicks in the cable.

Later at night, just the one channel again. No problem during the morning or evening, really odd.

djk44883,

“Until very recently anyhow. I have 2 tablo’s - I’ve been recording same shows on both, and it seems the issue is on one with a longer cable run – which has been in place for over a year ---- issue free.”

1. Swap the Tablos and see if the problem moves with the Tablo. (Tablo & Hard drive and change IP address)
    1A. No it did not move: (Not the Tablo) Damaged cable???
    ------------- Try replacing that long run of coax cable. (Over the floor as a test.)
    1B. Yes, it moved: (Seems to be a Tablo or hard drive problem.)
    ------------- Move the Tablo and hard drive out of that small room and into the living space. (As a test for two or three days.)

Heat can change the operation of electronic components or even cause them to fail. I have seen both happen. In one case the heat caused a permanent premature failure of the piece of equipment and in another it caused a subtle intermittent failure which cured itself on cool down. That suddenly intermittent piece of equipment had been in the rack for over 5 years! The permanent failure occurred after about 3 years in the rack.

And the Tablo runs a little too warm anyway.

That is an excellent plan, however most of my problems have cleared up. I had bad recordings hit 'n miss on three different stations. Heat wave passed, and I had a fan on the tablo. We’ve had heat waves in the past and never had issues with reception. So, the tablo doesn’t like the hear… the heat/weather impacted atmospheric conditions which impacted RF signals along with the position of the sun.

Now it’s limited to one channel, not just the tablo. It seems to be the run to the end of the house. When I initially re-did the cabling I moved the “amp” to that end of the run and discovered it mess up just one single channel. I removed it and have been issue free since.

Now overnight after ~10pm I loose a clear signal to 13 [WTVG] - through all it’s sub-channels. It comes in clear with the news comes on just before 4:30am (ouch). I haven’t gotten up to confirm the “big” TV on the shortest run has a clear picture, but I believe that tablo records alright.

In the evening, ~7pm it’s coming in clear as well. This is extremely odd - just the one channel, just at unusual times (regularly ?)

There doesn’t appear the be any damage to the cable nor loose connections.
Admitting, when the weather became tolerable, I didn’t really invest time trouble shooting this seriously.

djk44883,

“We’ve had heat waves in the past and never had issues with reception. So, the tablo doesn’t like the hear… the heat/weather impacted atmospheric conditions which impacted RF signals along with the position of the sun.”

You have missed my point. Heat damage to electronic equipment accumulates over time! And it can be intermittent.

Heat can detune frequency determining components! And the effect can vary by channel.

Using a fan to move hot air around is not a good way to cool electronic equipment. And looking at the outside of coax cable is not a good way to determine whether it has suffered just enough damage to attenuate the signal going thru it. (My experience is that it doesn’t take much.)

I repaired broadcast electronic equipment for 31 years. My experience was that you are beat when you quit testing.

But if you don’t want to do the tests, then don’t.

Good luck.

Good point. This device hasn’t been in service for a year yet. Continuing issues are noticeable via the TV and tablo on the same cable run.

Ok, this is over my head, I get digital channel RF 11 - 201 MHz alright/all day. and digital channel RF 13 - 213 MHz consist issues only at night. How much 12MHz difference. Not denying the heat damage or discounting it’s impact.

I get your point. This is an otherwise unused room (aka storage). It’s not an attic or garage. Windows open, so there’s air moving through the house. True blowing 90 degree air over it only helps so much… but I know I feel better sitting in front of the fan :slight_smile: This situation isn’t extreme conditions. If the issue is on the tablo in one room and the TV in another (on the other side of the wall) - this somewhat negates heat damage to tablo, as the TV struggles while air-conditioned during extreme heat.

That’s not entirely what I meant. Before it was too hot to do too much that wasn’t critical. Now it’s pleasant, it’s not critical at this point, so I’m tending to other tasks… enjoying the summer.

Or things like setting a new mailbox because they “moved the ditch over”. First said they didn’t think they’d dig them up - because I’d get a new one to set if they were. Then… suddenly they’re dug out and re-mounted to a stake/pole the shoved in via front loader.

To do some true trouble shooting I need to check if I have issue with the reception at the other end. The TV has a “signal meter” and “signal quality”. It can give some indication what it’s getting. Since it only happens late at night, while I’m sleeping, since I have to get up for work, it’ll have to wait until I can “plan” for it.

I need to compare both feeds. Swap them at the splitter and work my way back. That cable run was re-installed Jan '19 so it’s readily accessible. Actually most of it was remnants of a satellite setup.

In the context of a professional and/or someone trained with a background for what they’re working on - especially if you’re getting paid.
For others, in context of general populs… could be they’re getting in over their head or exhausted their expertise.

and I truly appericate your willingness to share and help everyone!

It’s hard to say what’s all going on… I may have tracked town the final problem. When I first posted this, I had multiple channels with various issues. I begrudging may accept this may is some way be have been “weather related” with atmosphere conditions during the heatwave.

Afterwards I continued to have issues on a single channel during overnight periods. Late July lightening hit the transformer on the utility pole, or the pole (just as I was getting home). Line Crew snapped the “fuse” back (remove the meter first) check the power going to the house and said all was fine.

About 4hrs later - POP, dark. The “fuse” popped out. Beforehand an electric fan started to buzz, nothing from lights, just the fan motor making a noise. Crew came out and replaced the transformer, commenting “lightening does weird things”.

No sensitive electronics seemed affected, a network switch did die. Possible since the cabling runs outside facing direction where lightening hit? …and… I have low voltage lighting - several of the fixtures died. DC transformer with LED lights circling the house. Where the cable goes over a concrete slab it’s tied to a conduit, along with coax cable.

A couple days ago I noticed the channel seemed to be going out earlier, like it’s scheduled. Suspected something with the lightening hitting the transformer on the ground, sends some funky oscillating power, enough to interfere through the shielding of the RG6 on just that frequency.

It doesn’t happen when I just turn it on. I turned it on and checked the TV and it was fine. Went back a couple hours later and the picture was screwed up and the “signal meter” was fluctuating badly. I turned it off and checked - clean.

Lightning does weird things :neutral_face:. That hit was 7/27, this topic was created 7/17 - so there was (or possibly still) other issues beyond this.

Having the same problem. I am finding dozens of failed recordings amongst successful recordings for “weak” signal. Twice now I was around when it was happening. On live TV the channel would not tune in and I would get another error, and Tablo would ask “Try again.” I pulled the power on Tablo for 15 seconds and it fixed the issue. But now I’m doing that hard reboot daily because the errors resurface.

I also think the Tablo unit is running awfully hot.

I also think some of the errors are generic, and point you in the wrong direction.

I put up a 40 foot tower for the yagi antenna. I’m about 45 miles from the broadcast towers. I had a pre-amp but it failed so I’m going without. Not much of a difference with or without. 40 plus channels, all are normally crystal clear. I did play with an LTE cell filter and things were significantly better with it installed.

I definitely think it is NOT a weak signal problem.

Has Tablo weighed in on this? It’s my first day on the forum; lots to read yet.

Tablo Tools has a very neat feature for determining the “quality” of your recordings. One of the tabs at the top is called “CLEAN”. The dropdown let’s you see all shows it calls “dirty”. That includes broken recordings. I use Tablo Tools and check every day or two and have found that it is often the same channel and typically, the show will be broken into two or more pieces. It allows you to delete those shows right then if you like but more importantly, you can see what has happened with your recordings.

I have found Tablo to be unforgiving for high signal strength. When I first installed my system, I figured with digital, more is better so I installed a yagi antenna in my attic, about 25 feet off the ground, and a line amplifier. I’m a little over 50 miles from the tower array. I had a myriad of issues, many related to a Tablo’s software that they fixed with the latest update but also had a LOT of dropped recordings and disconnects. To make a long story short(er), after some discussions with tech support, I not only removed the amplifier but put a 3dB splitter in front of the Tablo and virtually all my issues disappeared. I’m REALLY surprised that they don;t have a bullet-proof AGC (Automatic Gain Control) circuit in front of their receivers but it certainly appears that too much signal is NOT good for a Tablo and from the user’s perspective, looks just like low signal. I wish it had a REAL, dynamic signal strength meter. I think we would learn a lot about our setups and it would make signal troubleshooting MUCH easier. Try Tablo Tools and try LOWERING your signal strength. You might be surprised like I was.

Have you run a fresh channel scan after you tinkered with your setup? It’s worth noting that the signal strength details in the Tablo are not dynamic. They’re based on the strength at your last scan. It’s possible that some of your channels have weakened due to the lack of amp and the filter (which will also reduce signal strength slightly) to come in well enough to record.

A technically about clean/dirty. Tabo-Tools only reports what tablo reports. I’ve found some unusual instances were recordings were marked clean = false – it was several seconds short. Tablo’s web app showed nothing - it’s finished = true so shows no issue.

I was recording shows back to back, on both tuners, and it appears to have offset start/sop times. It’s rare, but dirty / finished isn’t bad. Posted here … bit more
Seems you also have to look at the color of the thermometer - or … several instances of the same recording, those are, as you sadly know, are the most obvious.

So are you saying a listing of all the shows Tablo says are “dirty” is available? I didn’t know that. Please tell me how to see within Tablo which shows it says are “dirty” or not clean.