Windows 10 coming soon (Edit: is here)

Any of my Tablo friends planning on upgrading to Windows 10 as soon as available? I have reserved the upgrade on 4 of my machines and then will do a clean install.

I’m holding off… waiting for the inevitable fixes.

I even found a patch to uninstall the annoying windows 10 reminder in the tray.

Chas

I will upgrade my main computer as soon as it comes out. My other two computers will be upgraded a little later.

cthompgh: That seems to be the exact opposite if you are concerned about having your main machine up and functional.

Why not upgrade one of your non mission-critical pc’s first to gauge impact on the apps you use.

Of course that could just be the techy in me coming out…

I am running it in Parallels on my Mac and it looks awesome. I am a hardcore Mac designer guy and I love how it looks. Seems to be working well in beta.

I plan to update as soon as it is released.

I only have one desktop which I use for my business and it’s running 8.1. I don’t want to yet take a chance of screwing it up.

I do have 2 laptops running windows 7, might take a chance with one of them.

Chas

Had a Sony advisory to hold off a few months until drivers are available for my Vaio Tap11 running Win 8.1, which was upgraded from Win 8.

I also have an old laptop running Win 7 that I’ll upgrade soon after Win 10 becomes available, waiting a week or two to assess whether there are any critical issues in the first release. I want to do the update quickly on this one to better advise my neighbors as to when and how to update theirs.

I’m still waiting for fixes to Windows 3.1.

3 Likes

I have been running the preview version (Currently Build 10240) which is reportedly RTM on a 1 year old Dell laptop that came with Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1 with no driver issues.

@cjcox , I thought about trying to install 3.1 on a current machine just to see what would happen. I actually have installation disks, problem is I do not have a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive. :smile:

1 Like

@roraniel

Okay here is a link to a an iso download for windows 3.1.

http://www.mywindowspage.com/download/os.htm

1 Like

Lol. Thanks, I just might give this a try on a 6 year old desktop I don’t use anymore.

1 Like

So before I dig the old Desktop out of storage, will the 16bit OS run on a 32bit machine?

It should… I upgraded windows 3.1 to windows 95 back in the day… the bigger issue will be drivers. Good luck finding a network driver for it.

You could have just as much fun running it on a virtual machine though

Yup, should run on a 64 bit machine even. :smile:

1 Like

We received an email from “Endicia” yesterday Wed July 29. This is the company we use to print our shipping labels.

"As you may know, Microsoft is launching the Windows 10 Operating System on Wednesday July 29th. At this time, Endicia recommends that you do not update your operating system to this latest version of Windows until further notice.

If you do choose to update to Windows 10 immediately, your ability to print postage may be negatively affected."

I assume “Kasperky”, the company that provides us with Anti-virus and maleware protection is on top of this upgrade.

I don’t see “System Mechanic”, the company that provides us with tools for automatic cleanup, etc announcing Windows 10 compatibility on their website.
I’ll check this before we upgrade.

Chas

I did a upgrade on one of my machines and it went well. I noticed in the recovery area there was the ability to go back to your old OS for a period of 30 days. Did not try doing it but it is there.

I also tested the method for doing a clean install and still be free on another machine and it works. MS stated the following in the FAQ:

Q: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

A: Yes. Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need a product key for re-activations on the same hardware. If you make a meaningful change to your hardware, you may need to contact customer support to help with activation. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive or DVD, and use that to upgrade your device or reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

I actually tested it on 2 machines.

First Test on HP Desktop:

1. Ran the Windows 10 update on a Windows 8.1 Pro Machine that was up to date with Windows Updates and Windows 10 was activated.
  2. Immediately did a clean install of Windows 10.
  3. During the clean install it asked for a product Activation key twice. Both times I clicked skip. Windows 10 Pro was activated when the install completed.

Second Test on Dell Desktop:

1. Did a clean install of Windows 8 Pro and activated it.
  2. I did no Windows Updates after install.
  3. Ran the Windows 10 update and Windows 10 was activated
  4. Immediately did a clean install of Windows 10.
  5. During the clean install it asked for a product Activation key twice. Both times I clicked skip. Windows 10 Pro was activated when the install completed.

Being asked for Activation Keys when they were not needed was a little confusing but the clean install method MS promised does work.

Doesn’t clean install mean install on a machine with no OS? It sounds like both of your installs were on machines that had an OS already installed.

gapa85: What, not Windows 286?