Why didn't my show record?

Looks like Tablo tuned the 2 channels but didn’t record.

@snowcat I had record new checked and noticed some were not scheduled so changed to record all. What would be interesting is see if titan tv shows the shows as new. Check your scheduled and if not scheduled, check titantv. I still think they do a better job at the schedule than who was picked but unfortunately Titantv doesn’t work with Tablo. I have no idea who they use.

I had the same thing happening to me with American ninja warriors last night. It didn’t show in my recordings but had the orange corner in the live Tv screen. When i tried to play it from the live TV screen, it played fine and i was able to go back to the begining of the show 1hour30 earlier.

I also checked my storage data since i had nothing else recording or shcedule before tonight. I had 748gb left when i went to bed. When i woke up this morning, i had 743gb left. So I’m pretty sure that my show was recorded but that the icon hasn’t been created in the recording screen.

It happened wenesday night too when one of my show didn’t record. I set it to record the rerun that was airing on saturday. When i went to check saturday afternoon, the show was there with 2 recordings: the one from saturday and the one from wenesday i thought didn’t record. So again, i’m pretty sure it does record but fails to created the link in the recordings screen.

Thanks for the information. It would be nice if Tablo Support can comment and help with getting the recorded shows which are not displaying in the “recordings” section to start showing up.

I have had the same thing happen since the 2.2.2 update. Recording is very unreliable at this time.

That’s very unfortunately. It’s been working silently perfectly reliable that I hardly gave it any thought. Got to watch it carefully these next few days. I’d like to be confident next week when all the fall premiers start we don’t miss anything.

It’s possible that if guide data is changed between the time you schedule the airing, and the time it actually airs - it could result in the ‘RecordingID’ being changed. This could lead to the show being unscheduled.

This is most common for sporting events (when you see “Teams TBD”). We’re working hard to improve this process and have some fixes in the next release (coming soon). In the meantime, the work around is to use the ‘Schedule all’ button and then unschedule individual airings that you don’t want to record.

If you still miss out on airings despite this happening, please send us a ticket (ASAP, the logs can expire over time) and we’ll take a look.

@TabloSupport I think there’s a bug with the recordings screen. As I said in my earlier post, yesterday i saw American Ninja Warrior being recorded (Orange indicator in Live TV, channel flashing red and available storage decreasing).

Plus tonight, I just checked my PVR index with my browser (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/) and i see the recording with the snap grid, the segments and all. The only place it’s missing is in the recordings screens of my Roku, my Chrome browser, my iPad and my Android phone. So it’s there, I just can’t see it.

I have another one of those happenig right now. They are all shows that are set to “record new” in 720p and my Tablo is a 2 tuners under 2.2.2

Please look into it. I opened a ticket tuesday morning for that purpose.

1 Like

I have had this issue as well. New Tablo, just starting to figure it all out. Had a schedule to record American Experience last night. Checked it after first setting it to record, all seemed fine. It did not record. I don’t know why. Others are scheduled, and fortunately the episode can probably be recorded at a later date, but this is not acceptable as I have chosen this device to record new shows, and premieres are starting very soon.

Any thoughts?

As somone mentioned, there is a simiar thread. I find that I schedule a show to record and day or so later it is no longer scheduled… so I set it again and confirm it… and a couple of days later it’s no longer set to record.

In my case it was Football… so just to make sure I set it to record all of the series and then I deselect the games I don’t watch. I figure if it messes up it will err on the side of recording…

I had this happen again tonight. Two shows were set to record, they showed up before and during (on the live tv guide) with the record symbol. And here it is an hour after they were supposed to be complete, and they are no where to be found.

This is not acceptable. I do not know what else to check. Time to submit a ticket and try to find out, otherwise it is time to cut my losses and send this thing back!

This is likely why it happened to you.

@TabloSupport Suppose a channel rearranged their schedule and a show you we re recording moves to a different day? If you only scheduled a show I think it will be skipped, but if all was selected then it would still record. Sometimes stations do that to put a new show between two sows already with good audience share.

I have been seeing this exact behavior, and the guide data does NOT change (i.e. it does not say TBD) I noticed last night that I have Sundays Lions game scheduled to record, but in the released Roku channel it shows as “Future” instead of “Next week”. I suspect that when it changes from future (which it should have already done) the recording will become unscheduled.

Well, I just checked and it had become unscheduled. I rescheduled it and it had changed from “Future” to “This Week” It will probably unschedule Saturday when it changes to “Tomorrow”

I sent a ticket today (9/16/2015) about it.

I also submitted late last night. The programs that I had issue with were scheduled, and apparently aired as scheduled - I checked the live tv guide during the time it was supposed to be recording, and the shows were still on the guide, and the record symbol was still with them. I assumed they were recording, but they were not there later in the recordings, or as failed recordings.

I have a follow up on this which may provide TabloSupport with some information. I used information posted by Xirpinu and I looked at my Tablo’s data by opening an Internet browser and going to (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/). So the problem that I had is on the evening of (Mon, 9/14/2015) my Tablo attempted to record “American Ninja Warrior” and “Penn and Teller Fool Us”. Browsing the data in the (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/) directory, I found the following which I think are a match to my missing recordings:

American Ninja Warrior:    /pvr/198217/    2015-Sep-15 04:34:10
Penn and Teller Fool Us:    /pvr/200898/    2015-Sep-15 02:06:05

Now what’s interesting about these directories they are both missing the “meta.txt” file. So this might be where the bug is. I’m guessing what shows up under the “Recordings” view depends on the existence of and the reading of this “meta.txt” file? If so, a missing means it won’t show up in the “Recordings” view?

@mjremijan - Nope - that file is not required at all to complete recording.

The team will take a closer look at your Tablo when they examine your ticket. We’ll get this patched up for you.

@TabloTV. O.K., but what I’m saying is I believe both of them successfully recorded, they just aren’t showing up in the Tablo’s “Recordings” view. I’m just taking a guess here, but if I look in /pvr/200898/segs I see 401 *.ts files in that directory. So it looks to me like it recorded. But the difference between the /pvr/198217/ and /pvr/200898/ directories compared to all the other directories is that those two are missing the “meta.txt” file. So that has to mean something right? I understand the “meta.txt” file is not required to complete recording, but does it play a role in if the recording shows up in the Tablo’s “Recording” view. It looks like “meta.txt” is a JSON object that completely describes the episode so if it’s missing the Tablo wouldn’t know what to display for this recording so it wouldn’t show up in the Tablo’s “Recordings” view. Those are just my thoughts. I have 219 directories when I browse to (http://my tablo ip:18080/pvr/). I haven’t checked all 219 but every other one I have checked has a “meta.txt”. So it’s very coincidental evidence :smile: