Why am I not connecting?

2 Tablos- Device named “2 tuner” is ethernet connected to network. It is my old unit and I am just playing content. Then I will replace HDD. I can connect from any Roku or Android device in the house. Does not connect outside my network (Tablo Connect).

Device named “4 Tuner” is my new Tablo. It is connected to my antenna. It is then wirelessly connected to a Network Extender which then connects to my network. I can ping it’s static IP address, but I cannot connect with Rokus and Android devices inside my network, except for the Roku on the same Network Extender as the 4 Tuner Tablo. My Windows laptop connects to both Tablos and can play recordings on both or live TV on the new 4 Tuner Tablo (Again, old Tablo does not have an antenna attached). Does not connect outside my network (Tablo Connect).

Both Tablos worked fine yesterday. What is wrong? I tried the standard things - unplugging, rebooting the network extender. Both units are on latest firmware.

Thanks.

What is your ip address, vs the ip address of the new Tablo connected via wireless extender? Are they both on the same subnet?

Same subnet. Somehow, something in my network extender is making it so my Roku and Android devices do not see it. Also something is preventing both devices from being on Tablo Connect. Trouble is that both devices worked 48 hours ago. Maybe they are 2 separate issues.

Complicating things even more is that my laptop “sees” both devices. What do I mean by “sees”? I can ping both IPs. I can type both IPs in my browser and I get the “Nuvvyo Tablo Server” message. I can use the Tablo Windows app to watch both Tablos.

I purchased a highly rated WiFi range extender years ago. It was always a pain and caused me constant headaches. Ultimately I gave up and purchased a new and much more powerful WiFi router. No more problems ever since. Maybe some people have good luck with them, not me.

1 Like

Umm, since I can ping the device from anywhere on the network, the wifi extender cannot be the issue. At first I thought it was, but the facts don’t support that. But worth a try…

You should be able to ping your tablo wherever within your LAN, but those extenders/repeaters/boosters might not be ideal for video distribution for your setup.

If you have your wifi extender set up as a wifi repeater (with no hard line connection), then you might be dealing with about half of your projected wifi speed through the device. I’m no expert, but just giving food for thought.

This is what I read from a website

Blockquote You may see devices marketed as “Wi-Fi repeater” or “Wi-Fi booster” as well. Essentially, they are the same — they all work to strengthen and increase the range of your wireless signal. However, they work in slightly different ways.

• Wi-Fi extender – This device works by grabbing the existing wireless signal then re-broadcasting it on a different channel. Since it can connect to your modem and router via a coaxial cable or Ethernet cord, there’s a lower chance of interference. This means you’ll have a strong Wi-Fi connection in other areas of your home.
  • Wi-Fi repeater – These first-generation extenders work the same way by grabbing the existing signal and rebroadcasting it. However, since it connects to your router wirelessly on the same frequency, you’ll only get half of the available bandwidth resulting in higher latency.
  • Wi-Fi booster – This is just another name for all Wi-Fi extenders and Wi-Fi repeaters.

Your link just goes to a marketing or sales page for internet access. Agree with your point the device-in-the-middle can have an impact on throughput.

Wi-Fi extender/repeater/booster are somewhat marketing terms, at the lest vendor specific. They can mean what the manufacture wants them to mean. ie) PCmag

A device that extends a Wi-Fi signal for greater coverage. A Wi-Fi extender picks up the signals from a specific Wi-Fi access point and, depending on the brand and model of the device, either boosts the signals under the same network name (SSID) or under a new SSID that must be created and configured. Newer extenders support both the 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency bands. See SSID, Wi-Fi and cellular network extender.

See Wi-Fi extender.

See Wi-Fi extender.

hightly rated that’s always a screwy one

Sorry about that link. It should be gone now.

1 Like

Bad wifi extender/repeater/whatever you call it does not explain the facts as my Windows laptop is NOT on the extender and it can connect to my new Tablo that is on the Extender. It can play live or recorded tv on the new Tablo. If speed was the issue, no device could stream.

My workaround is to hardwire the new Tablo to the network. To do this, I would move the Tablo far away from the antenna, thereby eroding TV signal.

I wish I had the answer, but don’t.
However, getting a ping response doesn’t mean all the networking hardware, software, and configuration are all working and set up properly.

If you’re supposed to be able to get a ping response, but don’t get one, there’s something wrong.
If you’re supposed to be able to get a ping response, and do get one, it doesn’t mean everything is okay.

I decided to check my router settings and all port forwarding was gone. I manually added the ports and now both Tablo’s say they are ready for Tablo Connect. Tablo Connect now works with my old Tablo and all Roku’s in the house see it.

New Tablo says it is ready for Tablo Connect, but only my Windows PC (on my normal network) and Roku (on the same wifi extender network) can connect to it.

I believe that Tablo software (apps and channels) find Tablo devices in different ways. My windows PC looks through my entire network. Roku and Android don’t. They somehow cannot see devices on a separate wireless network even though they are on the same LAN.

I believe that if I connected the new Tablo to the normal or router wifi network, let all the devices see it, then put it back in its normal place, everything would be fine.

Will let you know.

fyi: there is no difference streaming either content, locally.

I have a tablo and TV more than 50’ from my antenna - works just as well as the one only 25’ away from the bottom of the antenna tower. Quality RG6 should carry a good signal without noticeable issues (of course, your mileage may vary).

As others, not an expert, a PC by design communicates with devices across networks. Your proprietary streaming Roku usually just connects to the internet via router (gateway). Although connecting via IP is pretty much the same, except with it’s not.
Can you connect and configure your extender? or is it a take what you get.

You didn’t directly answer this…

“cannot be the issue” and the device pinging from also works… so then the issue is the other devices? since device-in-the-middle “cannot be” with no further trouble-shooting.

Everything works. Problem was multiple issues. First was that my Netgear Nighthawk R7800 router lost the port forwarding instructions for the Tablos. I had not been configuring my router or anything.

Second, is still a little unknown, but Roku’s on the main network in my house stopped seeing the new Tablo which was on the SSID of the network extender. Yes, I could logon to the network extender. Yes, I could configure it. Yes, I become a client of the network extender with my laptop and had great throughput. For some reason, just a few days ago Android and Roku devices stopped seeing the Tablo on the network extender. The workaround I did today to fix it was to go back to what I had before I tried to improve TV signal strength. Now I have moved the Tablo back to being maybe 50 feet away from the antenna and Tablo is connected to network via ethernet. I have the same channels. Signal quality looks good.

1 Like

Just an F.Y.I. It has been my experience with multiple router brands that if you want to manually configure port forwarding for Tablo then you should have UPnP turned off. If UPnP is turned on, and you want to keep it that way, then let Tablo do the configuring by turning off remote access (on Tablo) then turning it back on.

The Tablo’s prompted me to manually configure the router, so I did. At first I tried it by leaving UPnP on, but there were ports already taken. So I turned off UPnP, did my manual configuration and turned it back on. So far, the other devices that use UPnP have not been tested. My security cameras are real quirky, want way too many ports, and sometimes insist upon a specific port. Not motivated to mess with them today.

My brother would call this a “first world problem” in that I have over 30 devices on my network. If I got rid of a bunch of toys, I would not have these issues.

I have 29 entries in my Lease Reservations on my router, ok a couple of PC aren’t always active. If your router is overloaded? Sure he’s not jealous?

Bro has not opined on this. Its just what he says when someone complains about not being able to get a convenient hair appointment or not getting their food fast enough in a restaurant. He is just giving perspective.

I bought the router almost 3 years ago, because it was super-rated and could handle many more devices than the previous one. Most routers are marketed as being able to handle a bunch of wireless devices (in theory) but can only handle some small quantity. This one was really supposed to handle a bunch so I gladly paid $230 for it. It can handle a bunch but has other issues. Dropping its port forwarding assignments is just one issue.

I have 53 devices currently showing in my UniFi control panel. There’s more around that have dropped off the list. I do not use UPnP at all.

Next time you’re looking at doing a network upgrade, get a UniFi Dream Machine.

The UDM or UniFi Dream Machine looks sweet. I am probably going to keep my Nighthawk for another year or two. One of the problems with my Nighthawk is the user interface is not well organized. And, in theory you can name the devices on your network and select a picture, but it is a pain to do this. And when you want to see what is on your network, you can only see 2 devices at a time on your laptop screen. Seriously. Is UDM easier to use/manage?

I guess I was spoiled in that before I retired, I had a really great Sonicwall router that I could tinker with. If Dear Wife was not an obstacle, I would put me a big ole Sonicwall in my cable closet and put a sweet, to be named, wireless access point somewhere outside of the closet. Maybe when she replaces her car (that currently has 100,000 miles on it), I get the infrastructure of my dreams.

I installed my system before the UDM came out. I have the USG router, (2) 24-Port UniFi switches (one with POE), (1) 8-Port UniFi switch, and (4) UniFi WAPs. Rock solid system.