What can I expect for OTA wireless distribution?

They most certainly work with Roku.

I was referring to the 4th gen possibly not wishing with his Roku, which was his worry to begin with.

If anyone is worried about them stopping support for products they very recently sold and are still selling today (refurbished) anytime soon (several years at least) would also worry about gen4 support going away too.

I don’t expect it to be soon, but eventually a company puts its weight behind one product over another (Lisa vs. Macintosh?) and can only do so much to keep a product going.

The 4th gen seems to be a complete overhaul of an older system. I can’t see them going back to the legacy models if it’s successful.

I just know that when I buy something refurbished or outdated, I don’t expect it to last as long as something brand new. I’m sure the expected product life for any of these is max 3-5 years anyway. My thinking is that without a way to migrate recordings later, it just makes more sense to upgrade the other parts of your system to match a newer product. And yes, I do recognize that if my Tablo dies tomorrow, the hard drive cannot be used in another 4th gen either.

A legacy may be right for him. I’m glad he’s asking a ton of questions.

Love the dialog, and the information I’m gaining, although I can’t say I know Legacy from OG. I was looking at the round, white unit they’ve been advertising. I understand it has two internal tuners, so more than one channel can be viewed at a time on two different TVs. For the money spent, if I could be sure I can stream the OTA channels I now receive over my network, I would be happy. But, they have to work with my Roku TVs and streaming boxes - can’t see starting over with that to get something to stream OTA to my remote locations - just not that big of a priority. I’m hearing Tablo works fine with Roku, and then that there’s issues with Tablo working with Roku. Since I’m primarily looking for viewing OTA over my network, and willing to accept less-than-perfect performance with the DVD or the program guide, I would like to know I have a better-than-average chance that Tablo would work for my purpose. My main streaming needs are taken care of. Can I assume the round, white unit is the 4G unit spoken of? If so, are any Roku system users experiencing any issues with streaming?

What speeds do you get when you run speedtest.net on a laptop in the pole barn office? It looks like you will need at least 10 Mbps per live OTA channel.

Here are a couple of recent threads about problems with Roku and the white Tablo.

Legacy and OG (original gangster) the same Tablo DUAL LITE Over-The-Air DVR | Tablo – Tablo TV it and this X-MEDIA 3.5-Inch USB 2.0 SATA Aluminum Hard Drive HDD External Enclosure Case | eBay or similar (and drive of course) yes round is gen4. The 4 is pretty much beta read some of the posts here.

Here is info on guide. What Do I Get With my TV Guide Data Service Subscription? – Tablo (tablotv.com)

Just ran on my iPhone here in office and getting 78 Mbps down and 17.8 up. Any idea when the notification of 0.8.300 & 0.8.401 was issued? It will be interesting to see if it irons out some of the glitches people are experiencing.

That should be fast enough for at least two or three streams from the Tablo.

0.8.300 was released around December 10 and quickly backed out. 0.8.401 was released around January 2. It fixed some issues but not all.

1 Like

I wonder if they coded 0.8.401 with Roku 12.5.5 in mind. Who knows what OS they had access to at the app’s release.

Great information - thanks again! I’m going to hold off for a while on the Gen 4, and watch and see what further developments happen. Am I understanding it correctly that the Legacy Dual Lite model has a good record with network distribution? Realizing that this is an obsolete device, does Tablo still provide support for it? Have they indicated that they will no longer support it with future updates, etc.? Is there a separate Tablo App for this device vs. Gen 4, or does the same App cover both?

My barn Roku TV updated to 12.5.5 on 1/24. Haven’t checked any of my other TVs or STBs, but they’re all set for automatic updates so guessing they are too.

2 separate apps gen4 is white. The dual lite I got 2 years ago has worked problem free with my Roku 3930’s. Just had to enable surround sound shortly after buying, had the squeaky audio thing with it not.

Interesting! Just for clarification, do you enable that within the Tablo app? Only my main Roku TV is surround sound capable, and that is through a digital audio feed to a soundbar. Will the other Roku TVs and STBs work OK with surround sound enabled even though audio will be via either internal speakers or output via A/V? Or, do you mean that surround sound has to be enabled within each Roku device - assuming that’s an option?

It’s a Tablo setting, I think it just passes it. No big deal when I first received the Tablo had the squeaking a couple of times came here saw posts about it, enabled it never happened again. Have since seen many more posts as soon as posters changed it gone for good for them too. I only use TV for audio.

OK, great! I’m leaning more and more towards the Dual Lite. DVR operation isn’t a big issue for me, although I could still add an external HD if i see a future need. It looks like the Dual Lite is still available from Tablo, as well as from several other sources. Do you know what Tablo’s intentions are regarding future support for the Dual Lite - it looks like they’re pressing forward with Gen 4? Wonder if they’ve stopped any continuing engineering on it, or if they will continue issuing FW updates? Have they made any public statements regarding the issue? Thanks again!

I’m sure they will support for quite awhile a lot out there. If I remember you have to have a drive for the lites to work, like I said enclosure is only $20 drive not much. Tablo DUAL LITE Quick Start Guide – Tablo (tablotv.com)Setting up your Network-Connected Tablo DVR – Tablo (tablotv.com)

How to Enjoy 5.1 Surround Sound from Tablo – Tablo (tablotv.com)

The only additional work that has been announced is a firmware update that will allow the Legacy units to work with the new Gen 4 applications and provide the free guide data. See the following article.

1 Like