Weird chirping noise only in Tablo app watching Live TV (updated to include recorded shows too)

I have searched the Roku forum to voice my concern but can’t find a post on this. Anybody have a link. I am trying to dump Uverse. The Roku/Tablo looks promising but this chirping is annoying. I will do my part to elevate the issue but I may need to return the equipment and abandon this project if I don’t think it will get fixed. One advantage for Uverse: no finger pointing, they fixed any problem we had. What is the best way to elevate the issue?

@vpetrill, I submitted a ticket to Roku weeks ago about this issue and haven’t even gotten an auto reply back from them. I will say that the 2.2.6 update eliminated the chirping on my Roku sticks and made my Roku 2 worse. The Roku update to v7 did nothing so I ended up getting a Black Friday deal and replacing my 2 with a RokuTV. Low and behold, the chirping was gone. I haven’t tried the 2 since my Tablo 2.2.8 update but suspect the chirping is still there.
While I agree that the issue is specific to Roku 2s and 3s on wifi, I find it interesting that it only appeared after the 2.2.2 update (just saying)

FYI - There was a Roku firmware update around the same time as the 2.2.2 update.

We have also notified Roku about this issue and are hopeful it will be resolved in their 7.1x firmware.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. Do you have a Roku ticket number I could reference when I contact them?

While I will be spending more on Roku devices than the 4 tuner Tablo, I know it is small change in the scheme of things. I do have a number of Facebook/nonfacebook friends waiting for my results as they want to go the same route. If I can resolve this and one more issue I can give them a configuration that should work for them. Replacing all my old TVs is not an option but I would consider Roku alternatives. I appreciate any advice. I would like to make this work.

@vpetrill Unfortunately no - we chat directly with a contact on their developer team.

Many folks have been having success moving from Roku to Google Nexus streamers.

1 Like

I picked up three used Roku 3s for $50 each, two on eBay and one on Craigslist. Then spent $30 on four DECA ethernet to coax adapters to get them all hardwired using existing coax line. $ and time well spent I think.

On the Roku 3 I’ve heard the weird high pitched chirp thing. For me it seemed to happen with high bitrate content.

Apart from Tablo data, I’ve heard it while watching some Super HD content, and when watching captures from my frame grabber which are at a really high bitrate by default. I usually just transcode them down.

Better not jinx this. I’ve had zero chirps with the 3s (wired).

Agreed.

As a side note, I missed NewEggs Cyber Monday sale :frowning: My wife is telling me to just buy it, but I’m stubborn.

As popular as it is… there will be a good refurb sale after the new year. Normal stuff…

1 Like

@TabloTV all my tv’s have either composite vidio or old HDMI that doesn’t support HDCP. It appears Roku 1 is the only solution. I am curious how you track the issue to resolution with no tracking number. I am working with support at Roku but with no tracking number they can’t do anything but try to reproduce the issue. Can you get a defect open so I can push the issue?

I’m not sure if this is related or not but after ripping my recordings via Tablo Ripper, when I watch them from the PC streaming via Chromecast, I get little high pitched chirps occasionally. They sound almost like an LP record being scratched. Never had any issues watching them from the Tablo so I think the transfer process did something.

An apple vs. an orange… but yes, those mpeg4-ts to mp4 h264/aac do seem to have the problem sometimes.

After 5 attempts at using Roku’s support channels: chat, phone and email, I finally got through to them that this is a documented, known issue. Alas, while they acknowledged it, no eta. If anybody wants to push it, tell them you would like the issue reference in case 4366689 resolved. I would guess the more often the hear about it the higher up it will go in priority but not really sure. As a side comment, because of the great Tablo support I have been experiencing I decided to keep my Tablo and replace our primary TV’s so I can use an alternate to Roku 1’s. I am also recommending it to several who have asked me to let them know how this project works out.

Tablo: I appreciate the responsiveness of your support and the fact that everybody I have communicated with is knowledgable and seems to have a very strong customer focus.

3 Likes

I shelved my Roku2 because of this audio clipping problem about a year ago. I have not had issues with my Roku3. I switched to using a chromecast, but would like to redeploy my Roku2 - did the FW updates fix this issue? I don’t see where the thread concluded with a solution.
Many thanks

I’ve had audio chirping issues with 3 different model Rokus: 2 (2015); 3; and 4.
Audio chriping occurred when Rokus were wired on same switch as the Tablo, and when the Rokus were wireless, both wireless-n, and wireless-g.

The chirping occurred for the Roku Tablo app, as well as other Roku apps, like Netflix.
The chirping went away around the time Roku OS v7.2 came out, which is currently the latest production version.

Funny you mentioned this as I had not used my Roku 1 in a long time but needed to recently and that annoying little chirp is still there.

The Roku 1, I believe, is on a much older version of the Roku OS.

FWIW, my seven Roku 1 boxes are all running Version 7.2.0 Build 4113-06 and the issue remains. If you’re free of it on 2,3 and 4 models, then it could be the processor rather than the OS. Not that up on what chip’s in what.

From my experience, higher bitrate content causes the chirp.