Weird chirping noise only in Tablo app watching Live TV (updated to include recorded shows too)

Never get the chirp with tablo recordings. But I only record at 720p.

But I get it a lot with HBO especially when I fast forward. It’s really very distracting when you are watching Game of Thrones and the dwarf is in the brothel and I get the chirping. I keep thinking I’m missing out on a completely new game.

Update: I plugged in the Roku 2 and updated the FW to the latest version. Restarted and kazam… no frigin change! Still has the annoying chirp and the lag to move around in a recording was painful… doesn’t hold a candle to how well the Roku3 on wired network works… although these issues with the Roku2 are not related to the wifi, more the chip/FW. Disappointing.

BTW, chromecast is very unreliable too…

How many times does he go to the Brothel?! :smiley: Or better, how many times do you watch the Brothel scenes?

While the roku tablo playback has been fairly chirp free, the slingtv app has had hours at a time of random chirping. Then it goes away for a few days.

Must be gerbils going wild somewhere.

I returned my Roku 1 after I went to HDTV connections on all TVs due to the commercial chirp. I’m using a Roku 3 and TCL TVs with Roku built-in and all are chirp free. The Roku 3 still kicks me out of recorded content, but that topic is covered on a separate thread.

I just hooked up my Tablo with a Roku 1. Having the same issue with the earsplitting ping. Sounds like a glass bowl being struck with a metal rod. The reason I am using the Roku 1 is due to hardware limitation on my TV, i.e. no HDMI. I only have component and composite TV inputs. Does anyone know if the Roku Express+ exhibits the same problems or is limited to the Roku 1 through 4 models? Thanks for any input.

I have the Roku3 and never had the ping, mate. I think it was just a Roku1 and Roku2 problem.

It’s a strange thing limited to the Roku 1 for sure and possibly the Roku 2. I have not heard of it happening on any other Roku version. I was surprised to learn that chirp was still around after hooking up the old Roku 1 on a TV we added.

I suggest ditching the Roku 1 though and find a used Roku 3 for about $40. The improvement in remote response is huge. Plus if you can get ethernet to it that seems to work better for some, possibly many, but definitely for me.

I can’t use the Roku 3 because it does not have composite output only HDMI and I don’t have HDMI inputs. That’s why I thought the Roku Express+ might be best.

I read that and had included a link for a converter but read it wasn’t for Roku so I deleted it…forgot to replace the link. You may want to give this a try https://www.amazon.com/Tendak-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00KBQZC4M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1493265294&sr=8-5&keywords=hdmi+to+composite+converter. After their promotion price it’s $14.81.

I also get them. They seem to coincide with cutaways to commercials or local inserts. Happens only with the older Roku units. I suspect they are signalling cues that are not being filtered out by the older Roku devices. They have never interfered with the Tablo playback, and like you, they only appear on live programs.

The chirping noise occurred on my Roku 2 (2015), 3, and 4.
Hasn’t happened in recent months though.