Wait for ATV Tablo app or goto TiVo Roamio w/Lifetime subscription

F: I don’t have Roku and I’m not experiencing your problems. As you know Tablo has to transcode so instant channel surfing is not going to be on their menu. Neither is “upgradng” their hardware every year to enhance profits at the expense of their fan base.

1 Like

Whatever

I’m beyond considering. Went to buy one tonight and couldn’t find it in their site or Amazon. Looked at Best Buy online and its there, new item but not available in any of their stores within 250 mi. Guess I could order one but wonder when delivery is because I didn’t see it anywhere else.

This is correct. Channel tuning times of 10 seconds is reasonable given the transcoding and buffering.

Now I get it.
You have too many channels.
Drop it down to 8, like me, and problem goes away. :wink:

1 Like

Where do you live that you get 60 HD channels? I refuse to watch SD channels - what’s the point having a DVR for such poor video quality lol

2 Likes

SD channels (upscaled by the Tivo) actually don’t look too bad on a 32" TV.

1 Like

I could see that - 52" here :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends on content.
2 of my 8 channels are SD, but their content makes it worth keeping them.

Also, Tivo has a nice Zoom feature allowing you to watch a 4:3 show in full widescreen (stretched but still looks quite good), zoomed to fill widescreen (not good for 4:3) or native (sidebars).

I’m hoping they can do this with the ATV app (the capability is there, just need Tablo to utilize it).

LOL! Ha! Problem solved!

4:3 stretched to full screen sucks. Everybody (and I mean every body) looks like an overweight fat faced dwarf. Rather watch smaller 4:3.

2 Likes

58 mi W of Chicago towers, 23 mi SE of Rockford Towers. Some days I even pick up Milwaukee stations. It’s a mixed bag. SD and HD. Lot of sub stations. I’m amazed how many movies are shown. I don’t mind the SD channels. After you start watching something you forget about it. It’s free, I’m in.

I don’t own an ATV and when? The Beta Test Thread went static. I may get one someday but I’m happy with the Devices I have now. I’m ready to give the TiVo a try.

This is like a soap opera with this “I’m about to get a TiVo.” So get one already and spare us the “As My World Turns” DVR melodrama…

1 Like

Great information on this thread. I decided to give the new Tivo OTA lifetime a try. Installed it yesterday. Family loves it. Definitely recreates the DirecTV experience. Fast, easy very polished. Feature set is very rich and extremely responsive. Remote is RF and is easy to use. I don’t have the Tivo streaming box or the need for a Tivo mini so for now still using my Tablo which to me streaming live to my ipad or laptop is its strength both on and off home network anyway still really like my Tablo but for the STB experience have to go with Tivo.

I will. They hit the stores Wednesday. You don’t have to read the drama although there plenty to go around here.

Great - this way we won’t have to read your daily DVR turmoils. Enjoy your future over at the TiVo forums. Bon voyage.

1 Like

That’s what I was thinking so not a total loss. No need for a Slingbox now anyway.

ATV Tablo app is vaporware but they say a beta is coming. Any guess on date?