Updates on Cloud DVR & Automatic Commercial Skip, Changes to TV Guide Subscription Accounts

From the release

Those who already have multiple Tablo OTA DVRs on their account will be grandfathered and will NOT have to start paying additional subscriptions for their EXISTING or REPLACEMENT units.

You would have to prove this doesn’t satisfy the original terms legally

Sure, here ya go, from the release

So if a grandfathered user has, for example, two Tablo DVRs and chooses to add a third DVR without removing one of the existing Tablo DVRs from their account, they will need to add and pay for a guide data subscription for that new, additional device.

Literally the next paragraph. It lists a change to the old “terms”

1 Like

I not sure we need to get upset. I think we all want the same thing in the end, don’t we? We want Nuvyyo to be profitable so they can continue developing Tablo and add new features. If a change was needed in their structure to facilitate this, then maybe it will benefit all of us.

However, I do understand how users like @Max are frustrated. They paid for their lifetime subscription under the premise that it covered their Tablo and all future Tablos. It doesn’t seem unreasonable for current users to be given some additional consideration. That is also good business practice. Nuvyyo isn’t going to sell many Tablos or new subscriptions to current customers who are dissatisfied with the company.

Likewise, for users like myself who are just waiting in the wings to buy new Tablo (the Quad), this announcement comes with somewhat poor taste. They have touted how the Lifetime Subscription benefits are tied to you and not the unit. Now that a new product is coming out, they change that before I can purchase the product. It’s ok, I understand the change, but it would have been nice to give me the opportunity to purchase and add the product before the change took effect. Yes I know they have other products, but the timing of is it for a reason.

This change won’t stop me from buying their product or adding a lifetime subscription. But it will stop me from buying a 2nd Tablo or adding any other future subscription. I’m not sure that is the intent they planned. Had they given a ‘phase-in’ period, I more than likely would have purchased a 2nd unit. Had they grandfathered in existing customers, they would have been happy and kept purchase options open for those individuals as well.

Like I said, I understand the reason for the change, but I think the way it was implemented just frustrated their current customers and reduced their short-term unit sales. My 2-cents.

4 Likes

New device new terms… That sub is tied to you, you can replace the device so it isn’t device locked technically

Well put, agreed

That’s a fair argument. So legally it might not be a bait and switch (IANAL); but ethically it just shows that they can’t stand behind their promises.

Emphasis mine.

2 Likes

Well said. I agree.

I edited my post above as you were responding. Technically they cover this IMO. Maybe to the letter and not the spirit of the agreement.

1 Like

If they wanted to charge a new fee for commercial skipping, fine. Retroactively removing something I had, covered by my current subscription? HELL NO!

1 Like

The original 2-tuner MSRP was around $225 and the 4-tuner MSRP around $299. BestBuy is having another 3-day 2-tuner sell for $100.

This change only affects those users who actually are going to buy multiple units. All this pissing and moaning over a subscription fee is crazy. It’s not like Nuvyyo was making tons of money. If they were they would need another injection of VC capital.

I’m waiting for them to change the terms of the lifetime to really mean 2 years, covers 1 unit, and doesn’t provide any firmware updates.

1 Like

They didn’t really CYA themselves here either, because I can no longer add let’s say an OG dual tuner to my lineup (I wasn’t planning to, I was eyeing the new quad, but that’s not the point).

Like I said IANAL, sure, maybe they can weasel out of this in the legal world, but they are 100% operating outside the spirit of what they sold me.

That was exactly my point above, 100% agreed. They’re a business, they need to make money. I’m all for that.

You never paid for lifetime firmware upgrades. I still agree with you, but they can stop doing firmware upgrades for people out of warranty if they needed to/wanted to make more money.

If you have concerns, I would recommend you follow TabloTVs advice noted earlier in this thread and drop them a message. I’m not sure the powers that be frequent these forums.

The blog entry incorrectly states:

Since we launched the original 2-Tuner Tablo DVR in 2014, we’ve been committed to keeping our TV Guide Data Subscription optional, affordable, and tied to YOU.

That will not change.

It did change.
Our subscriptions are now tied to the number of Tablos we have, not to us.
The original subscirption model was tied to us.

4 Likes

Already done, a while back. I’m sure I’m not the only one. And I referenced the outrage on the forum too.

Since no one has stepped forward and purchased Nuvyyo and they haven’t gone IPO maybe it would be better if they went out of business and their iron turned into bricks or beer coasters

Maybe I will, considering the money I’ll save by not buying additional Tablos. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have 2 2-tuner models on my account. If I get the new quad I will have to replace one of my old 2-tuners on my account and it will lose guide data and most functionality. I guess it could become the goto for Live viewing… basically useless tho. This just means I won’t be buying new hardware until one of my current units die.

Was there a reason to not grandfather by keeping the 10 unit cap for all current lifetime owners or perhaps just add 1-2 above their current count?

All I can say is “whoops”.

This step is weird, because the Tablo support folks until today, have been boasting about the way they used to handle subscriptions. Apparently this took everyone by surprise.

And while I do like Tablo, the scrappy Plex DVR if you’re a Plex Pass member (lifetime cost is $150) comes with free guide. I’ve tested 8 tuners with Plex DVR. You can have as many Plex servers as you like (but hey, you can put several quad tuner boards in if you like!).