Update on 4th Generation Tablo Compatibility with Roku OS 14

As to what? What are you looking to find out?

On the Tablo Legacy there is NO Surround Sound option to turn off. So that doesn’t work. Also, the Tablo Legacy doesn’t work on my iPhone X, it just shows the app for setting up the original Tablo which is already working on my TV. There is no options to watch Tablo on my iPhone X. Anyone know why?

On the Tablo Legacy there is NO Surround Sound option to turn off. So that doesn’t work. Also, the Tablo Legacy doesn’t work on my iPhone X, it just shows the app for setting up the original Tablo which is already working on my TV. There is no options to watch Tablo on my iPhone X. Anyone know why?

While I suppose, like most folks, I do appreciate Tablo’s informative post, I also find it a little hard to believe that a major firmware upgrade to a flagship streaming device caught Tablo entirely unaware. Instead, I’d have thought that Roku would have let all of their partners know well in advance about the upcoming changes so that partners could update their devices and apps so that customers had a seamless experience. The fact that I have really not experienced other apps/vendors having such issues with Roku’s upgrade makes me wonder if Tablo just chose to ignore any testing against Roku’s new firmware, and just waited for the community to find the issues.

In the end, given the amount of acrimony I read regarding Roku, and the amount of actual issues I see on a regular basis with Tablo (no. I am not going to detail them, many others do that regularly here and are told that ‘rebooting’ everything is the ongoing solution.) I am frankly leaning towards giving up on both platforms, and actively recommending against them to family and friends.

1 Like

Agree with this completely. There is no way that Roku made a major change like this without notifying their 3rd-party developers. No other app I have on my Rokus have this issue, it’s just Tablo.

I’m glad Tablo is finally working on it, but it should be TOP priority. Tablo, please don’t even think about making small changes to the guide, or tweaking a feature here or there. Just fix this issue, get it through a FULL testing process, and release to the users ASAP.

2 Likes

I have a Tablo Legacy and there is definitely an option to turn Surround Sound on and off. It’s a check box in Settings near the bottom of the General section.

2 Likes

Two out of three of my devices has this issue. None of the tricks work. About to pick up two Onn 4k Streamers, fix is taking to long.

We run several firestick. Most 4k, one 4k max. They all have issues with Tablo now and then just locking up requiring app restart. Usually when scrolling grid or hitting back button 2 or 3 times. Other than that, they work. We have an older Roku that shows most channels as a small picture with most of the TV green screen. I have a newer Roku TV that seems OK. Brand new Roku TV going on the wall today… Hope it works OK. I find Roku and Firestick pretty similar.

My problem surfaced only after a Roku software uodate on 11/14/24. Worked fine in all modes until then.
Tablo said they were unaware of this new issue and Roku advised (after an hour long chat session) that some other customers had teported the issue and they escalated to a “back end” support team???

I was able to get my audio back on my Tablo. I had a Roku Express 4k and a 4th generation Tablo used on my over 10 year old Toshiba when I lost video and audio. I managed to get video back by following instructions in this thread but no audio. Per suggestions on this thread I bought the Roku Ultra and after installation I got audio back too. Good luck ya’ll!

2 Likes

Your fix got my video working but I still have no audio. :frowning:

Roku didn’t give developers as much lead time as I would have expected: They made 14 beta available to developers on Aug 26th, and then released it to the public on Sept 24th. The release notes didn’t mention a breaking change in this area, but the major version number should have indicated that:

I’m concerned that holiday channel update blackout from Friday, November 22, 2024 through Sunday, December 1, 2024 could further delay a fix.

Amazon Fire Stick works fine with Tablo
Roku on LG doesn’t show OTA or recorded programs

How about we get roku problems fixed! Where is the promised firmware update that is supposed to fix many roku problems including working without internet! (Let’s not forget the nation wide tablo blackout during one of the biggest football nights two or three months ago!) After that fiasco is when we were first told of said firmware update, and just like then, we’re still being told it’ll be out “SOON”! Now it’s a couple of months after… Where’s the fix??? How much longer is soon? I’ve been trying to make this p.o.s work as advertised for almost a year now! Fix it or refund my money, please!!! Or maybe class action lawsuit is what we need!

3 Likes

Way too long to be in this situation… Shame Tablo.

I was trying to figure out why my newer LG worked with Tablo using a Roku and two older Samsungs did not. On the Roku site, the following was in a post:

Seems the ROKU has to be hooked up to a Dolby Digital capable device for Tablo to play since the new version of their app won’t play on only a stereo capable device.

It seems to explain why the older Samsungs do not respond to the “workaround.”

I agree with Madd1One - push out a fix Tablo!

Tablo, do you seriously not have the ability make an emergency code change and run through a testing regiment inside of 2 weeks? Right now, you seem to be telegraphing end of December. This does not meet my expectations as your customer. The problem identification phase is behind you. Figuring out the problem is usually the hardest piece.

2 Likes

@HHR - Seeing same results here:
– Roku Ultra + Visio TV = No problems
– Roku Express + LG TV = No OTA or recorded OTA programs.
– Amazon Fire Cube + Sharp TV = No problems

DJ_Bucciarelli
Did you try swapping the Roku Ultra or the Amazon Fire Cube with the Roku Express?
Maybe one of them would work better.
Plus, trying the Express with one of the other TVs might eliminate it as the problem.

Thanks @papagnome - I thought about it, but haven’t done anything. The Roku Express + LG TV is in the kitchen, and doesn’t actually get a whole lot of use. If something’s not working right, that’s the one I’d want to be down.

The Roku Ultra is hooked up to our family room TV and that’s working nicely, so I don’t want to mess with it. The FireTV cube is in the master bedroom, and it’s working fine.

I’m willing to stand by with the current configuration until Tablo releases the software update.

@veni_vididormivi - My Latin sucks: “I came, I saw, I slept”??? Please correct me :smile:

Same here. I just purchased my Tablo- no clue about these Roku issues. I’m tempted just to return the darn thing.

2 Likes