Uneccesary internet mandate

A digital converter looses HD. Video tape means carrying it to which ever TV i’m watching. I have and do use streaming services. Just, that after paying for the hardware and storage, essentially providing the content, I have to use the internet to assess my OTA recordings. I cut the cable cord, but still need some wires. So now it’s not completely “free” over-the-air.

I find tv programing from several web sites. I understand it’s pain-free to have it with the programming guide, great option.

This data is called PSIP and is transmitted along with the OTA broadcast stream. We find it can be quite unreliable and in some cases absent which is why we choose instead to rely on high-quality guide data that is downloaded from the web each night.

This is not something that we provide for this reason:

We do collect data on usage but we don’t sell it to any third parties. It basically allows us to have data for troubleshooting and product development research.

We don’t have any plans at all to develop a non-internet version of Tablo. It would require significant investment and maintenance of a totally different system/approach for a very small number of users, and would provide what we believe would be a sub-par experience.

It sounds like Tablo is not the right device for your needs.

5 Likes

If you use an ISP as a consumer versus business the WAN address is fed to the local ISP facing router from an ISP DHCP server. It could be a static or dynamic address. Dynamic addresses come from an out of home DHCP server. And are static addresses nothing more than reserved addresses in the ISP DHCP server.

Inside your house you can have as many routers and DHCP servers as you desire. But usually a DHCP server on an ISP certified router will go down if the WAN goes down. You can usually check the entries in the router log.

Products like tablo, Roku, Fire TV , etc., seem to only support the DHCP protocol. So when you reserve a static address in a local DHCP server on your own router are you doing anything other then telling the DHCP server what address to feed to the device. And if so what is the lease time - infinite?

I do appreciate your reply. One thing to note if someone just reads the box - how would they know. It doesn’t appear like marketing communicates with development. It only reads:

WHAT YOU NEED
HIGH-SPEED INTERNET
To download guide data and stream HDTV out-of-home

Implys it’s not required, only needed for specific purposes.

On the side it reads…

Network DVR = No HDMI Tablo connects to your router, instead of your TV, so one DVR can stream gorgeous OTA content to all fo the devices connected to your home network.

Leads one to believe I can just connect it to my home network [peroid].

On the front, in part

Browse, record, and stream free Over-The-Air (OTA) HDTV programs…

Ok, so I do already pay for internet access, but my OTA isn’t truly free anymore if I have to pay (for internet access) to watch it.

None of this is explained before purchase!

Ok, but it is hard to believe any corporation is going to provide a service with out having some way to recoup expenses. Then again I don’t recall having to agree to any terms of service or accept a privacy policy.

Tablo might be right for my needs, just doesn’t function as expected, or explained.

Thanks for the response

Overall, I think these are good points. Nuvyyo probably needs to make the Internet requirement more clear for sure.

When someone states “What you will need”, that is pretty clear. It’s hard to list every single detail on why you internet, but it is there in all caps on the box.

And as for recouping expenses, that is what buying the product and (especially) the subscription are for.

1 Like

I’m not sure what specifically an ISP looks for to certify a router. I have my own router - Netgear R7000, and two older linksys. They all work the same configured as “gateway mode” to the internet using NAT. (not a network admin, just have an overview understanding of some of the words, I think).
The DHCP server on my router, for devices connected to it, is not impacted by the WAN connection - ever. My router is also enabled for local DNS, so devices can find eachother by name not just IP, none of this is ever see on the other side of the router – WAN due to Network Address Translation.

Everything is configured as a static lease - just my choice. I have a bit of control this way. My system is running dd-wrt and yes, infinite is an option. I can set the lease time to what I want. I have “smart plugs” which are never off, have no time (although, technically the do reconnect at intervals). Computer that is always on lease last a week. Just because, Amazon devices go for the default 1440.

I didn’t get it’s implied for basic use. I guess it’s open for mis-interpretation.

I have been looking for the TOS that explains this. Can you point me to it? It’s nice to know you don’t sell the data.

1 Like

It’s in our privacy policy: https://www.tablotv.com/privacy/

Information Use
We will not release any data that you have provided, as part of the registration or information request process, in a personally identifiable form to any 3rd party organizations. Nuvyyo may, where appropriate, engage 3rd party organizations for services where this personally identifiable information may be shared. In these circumstances, all data will be covered under contract and legally binding confidentially agreements.

2 Likes

Thank you! I was having a hard time finding that. I kept coming up the the TOS for the community instead when I searched.

I love Tablo, but having spent much of the past year working on institutions’ responses to the EU General Data Protection Regulation and related privacy policies, I don’t find the Information Use policy, or the privacy policy as a whole, cited by Tablo in any way relevant to the comment/disclosure above that “We do collect data on usage but we don’t sell it to any third parties. It basically allows us to have data for troubleshooting and product development research.”

In fact the privacy statement essentially says that Tablo does not collect such personally identifiable usage data.

This can be easily corrected with an additional item in the privacy statement, and I urge Tablo to do so. (Since I am watching Tablo remotely in the EU right now, Tablo is technically violating GDPR right now, and that involves potential fines of €20 million, so it’s worth paying attention to this beyond just good business practice.)

Sorry to be a bit prissy, but claiming the privacy statement covers what apparently is collected sticks a bit in the craw.

If you are sitting in an EU country aren’t there any number (possibly large) of WEB sites that you could connect to that don’t conform to GDPR?

If you are sitting in a hotel in Paris and use your phone to connect to a U.S. only retail site, purchase a product that can only be shipped to a U.S. address, does that site need GDPR?

If so why not just have the EU remove the address from EU DNS servers until they conform.

Actually, I think if the EU really cracked down on GDPR “violations”, they could fit their view of the Internet into an 8 bit address space. This could greatly simplify things for them.

Tablo server only works with U.S. and Canadian OTA. Thus the tablo server would reside in one of those countries to be functional.

A humane has to locally (U.S>/Canada) set up a device to use remotely. The tablo belongs to the user but resides in the U.S. Any data collected would be from the tablo residing the the U.S.

If the user travels to the EU and connects to “their” tablo and thus violates GDPR who is in violation Nuvyyo or the actual tablo owner.

That’s really clever. Not sure the EU data privacy chief or the information commissioners in all 27 EU countries would agree, but it is a very shrewd argument.

Semi-off topic: One of the really interesting things about GDPR is the number of U.S. sites that are actually complying either by extra consent screens that pop up for extra permissions from EU based users or simply blocking anyone evidently from the EU (sometimes off of geo-location, sometimes ISP); the LA Times, for instance, can’t even be accessed by an apparently EU-based reader anymore.

As it is, GDPR was just a little table-thumping - my real point is that it has helped further spur the movement for clear and transparent privacy policies worldwide, and the Tablo privacy statement does not disclose usage tracking.

It should, IMO. (This may never have occurred to any relevant person before this thread, but now that it has, it would be a good thing, I think.) I don’t object, but I’m glad to be informed they’re tracking my usage, and it always makes me uncomfortable to discover it when it wasn’t obvious. For me, at least, the internet component of Tablo has always been somewhat opaque and it ddidn’t occur to me that they were routinely monitoring usage … I thought that was more when Support logged into the Tablo box remotely at a user’s request for some help with the logs.

As for the Paris hotel user of a U.S. retail site for delivery to the U.S. - GDPR says it absolutely does apply to that situation if the user is “EU resident”. There’s no certitude yet what that means, if for example it applies to tourists. Most who care are assuming it does. This is the first major legislation where the EU has asserted broad extra-territoriality. It’s sort of revenge for all the U.S. laws that require compliance by businesses (especially banks) around the world.

It’s an interesting inversion of “information wants to be free” - instead, it’s not free; it belongs to the person it concerns. It takes some real head-twisting to come to terms with, but it actually works once one gets used to it. And so far it does cut down on spam!

Well, let me tell you what many company that didn’t comply with GDPR did to fixed the problem. They shut down or blocked Europe altogether.

Technically speaking you must connect to the Tablo site as a middle point in order to access your Tablo. I recommend Tablo take this at least seriously enough to run it by their lawyers. Obviously none of us are lawyers here or at least none are Tablos lawyers and cannot legally give Tablo advice. Good arguments have been made on both sides but you can be both correct and get sued.

@TabloTV An ounce of prevention is best especially when places like California are considering GDPR type regulation. Everyone here wants you to succeed. Particularly us Lifer subscribers.

1 Like

The forum reply stated “don’t sell” then quoted the privacy policy “will not release”. In circumstances where they find appropriate to share data, it’s under contract.

Could be GiantMarketingCorp offering Nuvyyo profit bost by signing their contract to share our info.

Possibility seems to exist. When I enter http://my.tablotv.com to use my purchased device none of this is made available! (no active links) It’s just something users should at least be aware of.

This, again, is stretching off-topic. Do they need “permission”? In another post someone refereed to it as the owners tablo. I can telnet to it, get a log on prompt, but don’t know the username or password. Admittingly I haven’t inquired, I presume it’s propitiatory. Yet I havn’t been presented with a license agreement… software is licensed not sold.

So if the hardware is mine, and I’m not bound by a EULA then I should also be able to view my own use logs?

If I use the web to access my tablo - an excerpt from the Terms of Use reads

Nuvyyo may alter, suspend, or discontinue this web site at any time for any reason, without notice or cost.

Shouldn’t I be informed I may suddenly find my device useless prior to use, if not purchase?