This next build brings major changes

Bulk delete of 43 NBC News gave a unresponsive script error. I clicked continue and ended up having to close Firefox tab

How soon will this build be “pushed live to all customers”?

I doubt they will give a date. Probably just say “When it is done”. Finding a single “showstopper” bug can change everything.

1 Like

I’m in the second tier of beta testers and just got the web access yesterday. I STILL do NOT have it on the Roku or an Android Apk (though using the browser on the phone does work).

Mass delete is nice, but there are still some issues to work out.

I didn’t purchase a hard drive yet. I’m hoping I’ll have the cash this month to buy the Tablo w/antenna & the hard drive. So it’s too soon to buy a HD bigger than 2 TB…

Just looking at that drive and Amazon says there is a newer version:

There is a newer model of this item:
Seagate Expansion 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB5000100)

Knowing all the issues with HDD’s people have had my advise would be to get the older one Tablo has tested if you can still get it.

From Tablo comments it seems to be low priority, but the ability to limit selected shows to a certain number of recordings would prevent having to delete a block all at once. Consider a season of a drama; most would delete them as they are watched. Where does one build up a lot to delete? Something like news that is an every day thing. So rather than deleting them all once a week, if I could select to only carry two I would never need to delete anything. You really need to research what people are doing and how they want to use the product more than just count the bitches. I would bet anything the reason bulk delete was high on the scale was simply because the number of recordings could not be limited. Were that function implemented, the screams for bulk delete would have gone away.

1 Like

I think they have. IMO you are an edge case. I don’t think people typically record every episode of the news, and only watch it occasionally.

1 Like

@oldmike - We’ve said it a few times but maybe not in this thread that we do plan on implementing ‘save x recordings’. I’m not sure when we’ll be able to get it into the UI but it is still on the to-do list.

Bulk delete was an easy to implement solution for a problem that existed. As we move forward, we’ll add more granularity to all of the features on Tablo.

1 Like

Don’t think I’m an edge case. I simply set two local and two nationally broadcast news stations to record nightly. I watch one or the other, depending. Regardless, the general question is, is one more likely to need to bulk erase something recorded routinely and watch rarely, or watched episode by episode? If I have a 13 episode drama that has built up a season, I would want to watch each and every episode, then delete as watched. No need for bulk erase here. But my wife likes to have the Today Show and Good Morning America recorded, but does not always get around to watching them. Who would watch three day old news? So with SAGETV I had both set to never have more than two episodes recorded (yesterday’s saved, today’s being recorded), thus no need to ever bulk erase. The bottom line is that limiting the number of recordings would eliminate a lot of the need to even have bulk erase. Do you think it typical to record an entire season of a drama, then watch one or two episodes a night but not delete any until all 20 have been watched? That sounds a lot more edge case to me.

1 Like

I think there were many more complaints asking for bulk delete because of the build up in frequent broadcasts due to the inability to limit the number. Were recordings limited, there would not have been so many requests for bulk. I understand doing the one easier to implement, but the decision failed to look at the root cause of the demand.

1 Like

I look forward to seeing other drive suggestions.

These models get very poor reviews for reliability.

1 Like

And you think that is common? What I think is common is people watch what they record, and delete it after they watch it. Second most common might be someone begins recording all episodes of something, and then it shows up on Hulu or Netflix, so they just delete the whole shebang. The least common IMO would be recording the way you describe.

1 Like

I can tell you having a very young child in the house we tend to “save up” recordings and binge-watch them when my wife and I get time since we are both fairly busy with life/child duties… or as its more the situation lately … either of us will watch a show we both like but at different times when either she or I have the time, then when both of us have watched it … delete them… the only shows we typically save are the ones our son likes (PBS shows) … since he often wants to see the same episode dozens of times.

I suspect this is more typical use case…

3 Likes

Philsoft: you think it unusual to subscribe to more than one evening news and not watch them all every night?

All this whimpering about deleting recordings is getting rather boring. The new release will allow larger discs and some improvements in bulk delete. If a user wants to fill up a 5TB disc with over a thousand recordings which equates to 8 hours viewing per day for over 100 days, they should really explain why additional R&D investment needs to be made to compensate for peoples failure to manage their recording. There must be many more important features.

3 Likes

Ummm, yeah. I think the OVERWHELMING majority of people have a favorite network for news and a few of them MIGHT record THAT network’s news nightly. Recording two local and two national nightly is…As I said before, IMO an edge case.

1 Like

I can see a use for the save “x” number of recording feature. My wife likes to watch Jeopardy and Judge Judy sometimes. I currently have a ridiculous number of recordings for those shows. I know she only really wants a few to watch when she gets in a kick for that type of show.

Definitely a use for it.

There is a use for it. The issue is whether that should take priority over other features that would be used (IMO) by MANY more people.

1 Like