'Tested' Hard Drives

New Tablo User here. I use this external hard drive.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND: Toshiba
MODEL: HDTD210XS3E1

PRODUCT NAME: Canvio Slim II
SIZE: 1 TB
LINK: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-canvio-slim-ii-1tb-external-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-silver/1783007.p?id=1219063717978&skuId=1783007
COMMENTS:

WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive (WDBU6Y0020BBK-NESN) at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DULWSXI

I’m having issues with my Western Digital MyPassport Ultra and want to upgrade to the very best possible unit. I’m wondering if any of the SSD units have been tested and confirmed? Or is there a standard drive that gives good (fast) response?

Any >2TB drives that are USB powered (and that work with the Tablo)?

Not tested, but WD makes bus powered drives that are 3TB in size.

Seagate makes a 4TB. Was on sale at Costco for $119? maybe on the floor now at 139.

If it matters, Seagate (often found play catch-up tech wise) is doing a RAID 0 across 2 x 2TB drives. Could be a pro, could be a con depending on perspective.

CONFIRMED GOOD
BRAND: Segate
PRODUCT NAME: Seagate - Expansion 4TB External USB 3.0 Hard Drive - Black
SIZE:4TB
LINK: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate-expansion-4tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/8686213.p?id=1218888214682&skuId=8686213
COMMENTS: Just got this on sale at BestBuy a week ago. So far it is working great and not running to loud or hot.
Model: STBV4000100
Best buy SKU: 8686213

Since I replaced my Seagate BackupPlus 1TB drive with this drive about 2 weeks ago, the Tablo has been working flawlessly.

Before getting the STEB5000100, I was having constant issues with the Tablo. I reformatted my BackupPlus multiple times, but problems persisted. I was ready to give up on the Tablo, but decided to try this drive first.

So far so good.

I guess my contribution here is:
Seagate BackupPlus 1TB = BAD
Seagate Expansion 5TB = GOOD (so far, 2 weeks)

That’s the drive I’m using as well ( for past couple of months) and it has been working very well for me…

1 Like

No problems here.

@TabloTV Did you just test out the 8TB model? Any thoughts on other size models? 8TB is a lot. I was thinking of getting the 5TB model.

Anyone else buy this model?

@faganm24 - We tested the 5 TB model we list on the Hard Drive page: https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-usb-hard-drive-specifications-suggestions/

I know you tested that 5 TB Expansion from Seagate. But what did you test of the Seagate Backup Plus Desktop? Just the 8TB?

Have you tested any of the Western Digital Elements Desktop drives?

I have upgraded to the 5TB Backup Plus Desktop a few days ago and it has been rock solid so far. The unit that it replaced was also a Backup Plus Desktop (4TB) which I purchased several years ago, but the case looked completely different than the new one.

@TabloTV, I understand you have verified compatibility of the Seagate 8TB drive, but have you let it run for extended period of time to make sure there is no performance issue at all? I’m thinking about getting that drive when I see good sale on it, but I want to make sure it won’t have any problem with Tablo in the long run. Can anybody share their experience of using that 8TB?

@faganm24 - We haven’t, but generally what you want to be looking for now with Tablo drives are ones that are not prone to disconnects. If you do a Google search on the drive name + disconnect and there’s 10 pages of results, avoid it like the plague.

@kamy2015 - We have been running the 8 TB for a long while now and recording multiple streams all the time and it’s performed well.

3 Likes

Confirmed GOOD
Seagate
Expansion Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB3000100) -This is the “new” version
3TB

I have not seen anyone comment on this specific one yet. Running about a week flawlessly.

1 Like

I’m a new Tablo user.

Before I buy one of the recommended Seagate drives (Expansion 3TB or Backup Plus 3TB) I wanted to know if anyone is successfully using an external SSD drive with Tablo?

Thanks

do a search for ssd on this form and you will get about 20 responses

Why would you need an SSD? There will be no additional performance improvement due to the increased speeds.