Tablo with autodelete functioning inevitably throws up

I have had this experience three times now on all different firmware versions of the last 4-5 months.

I have a 2TB HDD.  Everything is fine for 6 weeks or so until the HDD gets full.  Everything continues to be fine for a few weeks as autodelete functions.  Then, WHAM, tablo starts hanging and displaying all sorts of storage related glitches.

Same happened yesterday.  After 6-8 weeks of flawless operation, Tablo was unreachable by all devices on the network.  I’d reboot Tablo, it would respond for a few minutes, and then would be unreachable again.  All recordings from yesterday were missed and it said because of a full HDD.  Yet, the tablo report ~ 125GB free. 

Once again, I had to do a full reset and now all is fine again.  I guess I start the countdown again to my next reset in two months or so.

Has anyone else observed this?

Yes there is another thread about this issue with a 2 TB drive when it gets down to less than 200 GB.

Contact Tablo so they can get your logs. But only fix so far is to delete shows to maintain more than 200 GB.

What is the brand and model of the HDD you’re using?

It's a Seagate Backup Plus slim.

I'd love to delete stuff myself if Tablo provided the functionality to do mass deletes of programs (i.e., all episodes of The National), but to delete on a show by show basis is excruciating.

Would my logs still be there after a factory reset?

No logs would be gone after the factory reset unfortunately.

Yup… I have a 2 TB WD Elements and like was stated… Seems if I get down to around 200GB remaining Tablo chokes and yes I went through and deleted the shows one by one which is very tedious.  To even start deleting shows I had to unplug my HD and reboot and then connect and then plug in my HD and then start deleting before tablo had the opportunity to start choking again.  Once I freed up space though all seems to be fine.

It would be nice to be able to mass delete, set the maximum space to utilize on the disk, only record a certain number of shows (like the news), or any other options that would allow you to control how the HD is filled.

I wonder if it wants all that extra free space (but 200 gig, wow!) for live TV caching or buffering… it sure can’t take THAT much, but maybe with a quad it might. With 2 tuners it can’t need 200 gig out of 2T to do live TV?

It should partition that so that part of the drive is reserved for live and the rest for recordings and give you a change to select what to do about it - like mass delete. 

Seems that this could be an issue just showing up as more users fill their drives after months of ownership… ??

If there was an option to only keep X number of shows that would make life easier.

1 Like

I have auto delete on, a 1tb drive and less than 50gb remaining… All seems ok so far.

I have auto delete on, a 1tb drive and less than 50gb remaining... All seems ok so far.

Sounds like you need to try a 2TB drive.

I have auto delete on, a 1tb drive and less than 50gb remaining... All seems ok so far.

A dual-tuner or quad? A quad I bet requires more space, but the fact that you lose so much space on a larger drive is veerry interesting 

@TabloSupport there are now at least two of us with 2TB drives (myself and @belgiangenius, one with a Seagate Backup Plus and one a Western Digtial Elements) that have this issue… Is the ONLY solution to manually delete recordings?  What’s causing this?  Does the Tablo truly NOT support 2TB drives without them choking once we get them substantially full?  Is a fix in the process?  Are there any users with 2TB drives that DON’T have this issue?

I hope it’s not simply a math error (GB vs GiB).

I'd like to know too if a fix to this is coming soon.

It's not fun having to lose all the recording every time the HDD fills up and Tablo decides to choke.

@belgiangenius @Jerz 

We had a ‘near capacity’ issue a while back, but got rid of it some time ago. 

If any of you can reproduce this, (sluggishness etc when the drive is nearly full) do not delete any of the recordings or factory reset the device. Give me a shout and we’ll log in to grab the logs!

Question: How many TV shows are you guys capturing that it is filling a 2TB drive?  Are you set to record 1080p?

My 2TB drive only has 263gig left. I have a 10 year old son who records everything and doesn’t like to delete anything… lol :slight_smile:

Question: How many TV shows are you guys capturing that it is filling a 2TB drive?  Are you set to record 1080p?

I’m set up to record 720P but I record the news and all sports just in case I tune in late so without a feature to only save a certain number of shows it fills up pretty easily.  I even schedule things to record that I don’t necessarily watch… just in case someone else wants to and then again it’s pretty idiotic not to have an option to only keep the most recent news program.

I have a 1TB drive that had about 50GB free, when the auto delete function was turned on some strange things happened.  My latest Tonight Show recording would not play (black screen), length was 1 hour, but the progress bar showed length of over 2 hours (I was trying to forward).  Then I saw a failed recording from the same day - something about the USB HD being disconnected (but it was not).

I just turned off the auto delete and reverted back to deleting things manually.  Can’t wait for a delete option per program (keep last x episodes).  Can’t say with 100% certainty that auto delete caused these problems - but I never had any problems like this before turning it on.

1 Like
I have a 1TB drive that had about 50GB free, when the auto delete function was turned on some strange things happened.  My latest Tonight Show recording would not play (black screen), length was 1 hour, but the progress bar showed length of over 2 hours (I was trying to forward).  Then I saw a failed recording from the same day - something about the USB HD being disconnected (but it was not).

I just turned off the auto delete and reverted back to deleting things manually.  Can't wait for a delete option per program (keep last x episodes).  Can't say with 100% certainty that auto delete caused these problems - but I never had any problems like this before turning it on.

10-4 on that… When my 2TB drive gets to full I start losing thumbnails, it tells me my ports aren’t setup properly, stops recording, and stops streaming. Once I free up space everything works fine.

Interesting, I have a 320 GB drive with only 18 GB free and it is working fine.