Tablo with autodelete functioning inevitably throws up

That’s why I guessed at it being a “math problem”  … e.g. GiB vs GB.  The math gets worse the larger the drive is.  I have a 1TB drive and have gotten it down to about 100GB and have seen no problems either.  The problem seems to affect 2TB drive users.

Or it may be related to variations in the HDs themselves (as discussed in other threads).

@mbellaire, yep… it’s weird with all the different HDs out there, there seems to these very common models that Tablo users in particular seem to purchase.  So it wouldn’t surprise me if 80% of 2TB Tablo owners have the same HD.

The only other variable I can think of is my HD is set to sleep after 10 mins (has been that way since I began using Tablo).  The Tablo sends a wake-up signal to the HD when it’s time to record.  It may be that the auto-delete function is not waking the HD up properly.  @TabloSupport - is this a possibility?

We have seen a ton of issues with drives that have the sleep function enabled. So it is entirely possible. How about you turn off the sleep function and let us know what happens.

@theuser86, I appreciate the suggestion but am hesitant to test auto-delete again.  After disabling audo-delete I found 5 other recordings that had gotten messed up; (recording time not matching actual play length, recordings that are scrambled during playback - jumps to 00:10, 00:21, 00:05, 00:30, etc. etc. as played, recordings marked as failed).

I have deleted a lot of old recordings from the HD so plenty of space right now.  Maybe I’ll feel differently when the drive fills up again.

@mbellaire, I’m going to turn off autodelete and see if I have issues… thanks for posting.

@Jerz a further clarification since I worded my reply to @theuser86 poorly.  I had issues after turning on auto-delete.  After realizing I was having problems I turned off auto-delete, and upon further examination found the other messed up recordings.

@Jerz @mbellaire The auto-delete function really just calculates the threshold of room left on the hard drive depending on your active recording quality. It doesn’t touch sleep timers or anything else. There are a lot of moving parts on the Tablo - but this particular setting wouldn’t have too much of an effect on existing recordings and whether or not they succeed.

@TabloSupport - I trust what you are saying is correct.  When my HD gets closer to being full I will turn on auto-delete again - being careful to change no other settings - and will report my results.  I will leave the current 10 minute HD sleep time in place.

@TabloSupport - I let my HD fill up again with auto-delete turned on, and am happy to report that things are working fine.  This is with a 10 minute sleep time set on my HD.

During my last auto-delete test I began experimenting with the 1080 quality setting before I realized the HD was so close to being full.  Maybe this “late” change caused the auto-delete space calculations to become corrupted - but all ok now.

Glad to hear it @mbellaire

I think I’m having the same problem too. Acting very wonky, can’t delete files unless I reset, and that only lasts a few minutes. 2TB drive, almost full.

In the last couple days, when I check the settings it shows the drive nearly empty, when I know it’s nearly full still. Something ain’t right!

@ChicoJoe - Submit a ticket to @TabloSupport and they’ll have a look to see what’s happening. 

http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

@TabloTV - spoke too soon, have another scrambled recording (never had one before) - will submit a ticket to @TabloSupport.

@mbellaire Just circling back. We got your ticket and have collected logs. 

Mine is puking again too @TabloSupport 

I noticed yesterday that I couldn’t connect so I rebooted and it seemed to be ok with about 67GB left on my 2TB drive with Autodelete turned ON.  Today I noticed that there was an update so I’m remoting into my desktop PC at my house and I get the “connecting” message.  So it sounds like once again I’ll have to unplug the HD, reboot, reconnect the HD and manually delete shows… definite PITA.

@Jerz If you’re still having issues when you get home, give me me a shout. We can grab the logs while they’re still ‘fresh’ to see what’s going on.

I went ahead and submitted a ticket @TabloSupport complete with Mac Address.

@TabloSupport - since the initial scrambled recordings that occurred during my 2nd time turning on auto-delete I have not had further problems.  However, there may be scrambled recordings that I have not viewed yet, but I will report back if more issues.