Tablo vs Recast

That and the fact only Amazon Fire devices are supported for playback are why I haven’t really researched it further.

I really like Roku devices, they just work. My wife also really likes the Roku. This would be the #1 reason I wouldn’t switch to a Recast. However…if the Tablo proves to not live up reliability wise I would consider switching. I at least don’t have to worry about heat on my Quad.

I also like the non native encoding the Tablo uses, it looks good and you get more recording space.

I looked at the Amazon Recast before trying the Tablo. I really wanted to reduce my monthly cost to $0 so I could justify picking up Hulu, or Disney, and coming from a 2 TiVo household the subscription for that is getting ridiculous.

At any rate, my experience with the Recast was not favorable. Their software interface needs a lot of work. I’m talking a ridiculous amount to be feature complete.

I’m trying out the Tablo for a few weeks, so far it is acceptable. Way better than the Recast, but it could use some work compared to TiVo. But so far the Tablo is an acceptable alternative, where as the Recast went back after a few days, it was that bad.

This is good to know. Sadly I’m trying to pull my wife away from DirecTV which uses Tivo technology. So far so good, but she’s still fighting it.

You may have mentioned this in another post but do the immense cost savings long-term factor into the equation?

From my wife’s point of view…not really. She doesn’t do Jewelry or shoes…but just don’t mess with her TV too much. The commercial skip makes her happy, so hopefully it continues to work. My wife’s not some airhead, she just likes to watch her shows. I think many are in the same boat.

Fair enough. The critical info now is that Tablo commercial skip is still in beta so expecting it to work as well as a long-established similar function with an entirely different device may not be an apples to apples situation.

1 Like

This is another discussion from the past… and ongoing - cord cutting has a range of meanings - it means different things to different users/people. Some, it’s all $avings, others, NO cords or wires while others just use it to mean not cable/satellite subscription.

PlayStation Vue is shutting down in January 2020, so one less streaming service to integrate with Recast.

Nobody was taking Vue very seriously to begin with, the writing’s been on the wall with them for over a year. As time goes by, other services will become configurable to the guide.

Sling is not a good candidate, as their own UI is designed to work with our without OTA, in fact you can even use their app (or box) without a Sling subscription or OTA (Movie Rentals, VOD products, etc.).

Other than Sling, there are plenty of OTT services that would be a good fit and would most likely enjoy the added exposure & ease-of-access that the Recast guide offers.

I’d say the only people not taking Vue seriously was Sony, by saddling it with the “Playstation” brand in the first place?

I’ll be sad to see Vue go. It was a superior option in terms of “bang-for-the-buck”, channel selection, 60fps video, 4 streams, and a UI that several of my “older” customers and family members felt was easier to use than competitors.

I’m not looking forward to spending the holidays helping relatives test, pick and relearn their streaming service. None of the remaining services have all the desired stations, so will be picking the least “crappy” (their words when testing services in the past) UI and hoping for the best possible channel selection.

Merry Christmas!

Maybe Amazon or ? will pick Vue up at a fire-sale price and keep it going? Less competition is never a good thing.

1 Like

Recast only works on FireTV while Tablo works on everything.

1 Like

Good points. My having said “not taking seriously” in regards to PS Vue were intended in the context of Recast Guide integration only, not for the streaming service itself … because by the time the integration occurred, all the speculation of Vue’s coming demise were already out there.

1 Like