Tablo-VLC: a VLC media player extension to play and save Tablo recordings

Yea I noticed the same thing … I had a problem with another tool written by another fellow forum user and his tool was a bit more informative … once I ID’ed the problem recording and purged it … VLC started working again… I dont think the author to this plugin checks the forums anymore since he could prob stand to make a few bug fixes to make the code which fetches the recordings listings off the tablo a bit more fault tolerant.

VLC works well for me on Win 8.1, except that I am only able to save about 30 minutes of a 3 hour program with the stream to file or save function within VLC. ffmpeg works quite well, but it still takes quite a while for a video that long. Thanks to @doubleTap for the batch file.

@kwaa, good work on this and thank you!

I found one typo in your lua code for Linux:

• Line 258, currently says:
    self.data[prefix] = parent:add_subnode(node)

• I had to change it to:
    self.data[prefix] = parent:add_node(node)

Without this edit, it only displays one recorded program even if you have 100’s recorded and the VLC debug window gives you:

lua error: Error while running script ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/sd/tablo.lua, function main(): ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/sd/tablo.lua:258: attempt to call method 'add_subnode' (a nil value)

After this edit, it works fine, displaying all recorded content.

(Edit: sorry if this comes so long after you initially posted it, I just started using it today based on the code available at your site today)

Newbie here :stuck_out_tongue:
Using this Tablo-VLC method, is it similar to the PlayLater software ? i.e. allow recording of live streams from devices like Roku, Fire ? Thanks !

No. The Tablo records the live OTA stream so the HDD that is connected to the Tablo. This is a method to export said content off the HDD to your computer.

@kwaa - This is great! Thank you for writing this, and releasing it publicly! (esp. under the MIT license)

Thanks @tablotester and @kwaa ! I installed the extension, but was initially only showing one recording. After applying tablotester’s fix, I’m seeing all recordings.

Great work!

You are welcome @OVAZ.

Full credit goes to @kwaa for developing this solution … I just fixed a little bug :smile:

Any known solutions similar to this one on a mac running OS X

You could use Tablo Exporter, it is cross platform

This app VLC plugin is buggy and I dont recommend it … use Jestep’s Tablo Exporter…

the vlc plugin is sensitive to errors on the tablo and if you have a missing or damaged file (say from a reboot or other issue) it could cause this plugin to not work… the author seems to have gone M-I-A …

Thanks, I have read enough to see your are making a serious contribution to this solution. I’m sure I am doing something wrong but after downloading java, ffmpeg & your app, I can see all my recordings but after double clicking on the show I wish to covert, it won’t load into the fffmpeg file field. any suggestions?

Well, it may help to ask these in my thread :wink:

And post what your screen looks like so I can see it, I have an idea, but want to make sure

Getting a 404 on the download link. Would you want to host it on something like github?

Anyway to get the last update to this one? Looks like it has a Playon Plugin that I would really find useful

1 Like

Just tried the Tablo-VLC download link but it appears broken.

Anyone know if this is still available somewhere?

Not sure, but go here to find other tools

https://community.tablotv.com/c/tablo-apps/third-party-apps-plex

Thanks for the link.

I looked (and already tried a couple) but still haven’t found anything for OS X that will allow me to move recorded content from Tablo to my Mac so I can transfer it to DVD.

My solution does :wink:

Tablo Exporter

Tried it and couldn’t get it to work.