Tablo-VLC: a VLC media player extension to play and save Tablo recordings

The vlc plugin used to work on a computer but now it just gives an error message saying it can not get the recordings.  On a different computer it does work.  I tried uninstalling VLC and reinstall, but that didn’t fix it. The one that is working is on Windows 8.1 and the one that used to work is on Windows 7.

Another thing I noticed is that if the movie is over 2 hours and 15 minutes, it misses the end of the movie.

I read somewhere that @TabloTV was working on an official version, but I guess it is not ready yet.

That's because flash sucks.  And it's a resource hog.

i've tried the plug-in for VLC but find that converting shows from Tablo to a PC-based format leaves the audio way out of sync with the video. I've tried several and each time the voice and image aren't even close. It reminds me of a Milli Vanilli concert.

There is supposed to be a “audio video sync bit value” that I guess is not being acknowledged or recognized on your playback software. I know this was mentioned before somewhere on this forum…

The vlc plugin used to work on a computer but now it just gives an error message saying it can not get the recordings.  On a different computer it does work.  I tried uninstalling VLC and reinstall, but that didn't fix it.  I also noticed that the web interface does not work on the computer that the vlc plugin does not work on.  I bet when one is fixed, they both will be.

Another thing I noticed is that if the movie is over 2 hours and 15 minutes, it misses the end of the movie.

I read somewhere that @TabloTV was working on an official version, but I guess it is not ready yet.

Ever since the new updated firmware was installed this vlc plugin works great for me.  Prior to the update all of the shows wouldn’t show up and now they do… works great.  Thanks OP!

That's because flash sucks.  And it's a resource hog.

i've tried the plug-in for VLC but find that converting shows from Tablo to a PC-based format leaves the audio way out of sync with the video. I've tried several and each time the voice and image aren't even close. It reminds me of a Milli Vanilli concert.

There is supposed to be a “audio video sync bit value” that I guess is not being acknowledged or recognized on your playback software. I know this was mentioned before somewhere on this forum…

i read your response and just tried playback via VLC… it seemed ok when played using VLC on my PC.

I also did the same MP4 that I had VLC pull from Tablo and convert, playing the converted show in MP4 format via WMP and Chromecast, it was way out of sync.
So what you said may make some sense. WMP playing that converted show from Tablo, the shows that VLC pulled from Tablo, converted to MP4 and saved, were at their worst with WMP, but I am not sure how to pull using VLC, save to MP4 on the PC, then play it to Chromecast without using Chrome and Chromecasting that tab, and WMP plays inside Chrome, I can’t see VLC allowing me to play the converted show and casting it to Chromecast.
Maybe someone else here knows how. 
VLC does a superior job over WMP anyway… that may be one thing i’ve said that gets little argument! LOL
But I can’t cast it to the TV. Once the show was pulled from Tablo and converted by VLC, much of the issues were gone - meaning Tablo wasn’t able to play the show itself, VLC could pull and convert it and the show then played on my PC.

I’m using a Mac with VLC 2.0.9 and when I click on Tablo, error said "Error getting Tablo IP; Error when opening stream.

I'm using a Mac with VLC 2.0.9 and when I click on Tablo, error said "Error getting Tablo IP; Error when opening stream.

I recommend you upgrade VLC. The current version is 2.2.0. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Same issue here on Debian.  I’ll try going straight to the source instead of Synaptic.

Ahhh, that’s the ticket!  Thanks for the suggestion.  Oops.  Spoke too soon.  No more error, but it still doesn’t do anything.  :(

Hmmm…  5 days later, it works like a charm.  :)  Thank you!

Installed the official VLC app from the Amazon app store on Fire TV then manually added the luc/sd and luc/modules directories in /sdcard/Android/data/org.videolan.vlc directory.  Then copy tablo.luc to luc/sd and copy xjson.luc to luc/modules

BUT this is not working…Any ideas on how to make this addon work in FireTV ??

Only a couple of my shows are showing up. Do you know how to make it all show up?

Only a couple of my shows are showing up. Do you know how to make it all show up?

Yea I am missing shows as well … using 2.2.0 on Mac

for example one show I have there are 25 recording and only 7 show up and they are all no “newer” than Feb 28, 2015.

@kwaa are you still maintaining this project?

I also tried it on windows with a fresh install of VLC and the tablo plugin with the same results as on OSX.

Anyone know about how long an hour long TV should take?  I am using the Command prompt method like this

*Update - Nevermind Jestep answered my question in a different post.  I ncase you are wondering, an hour is not normal and way too long.

It’s got to many hitches in the giddy up for me to make use of.  That is one of the.

-Rodger 

@kwaa, great plugin!

I finally got around to installing VLC, your plugin, and ffmpeg yesterday.  In order to expedite the command line, I wrote a quick batch file.  Now all my kids have to do is grab the source path from VLC -> info and paste it in when prompted, then give the file a name. 

@ECHO off
cls
ECHO.
ECHO.        ******************************************************
ECHO.   The following will step through converting Tablo 
ECHO.                      video to mp4 on local PC
ECHO. ******************************************************
ECHO.
REM set directory
C:
cd C:\users\Main\Videos\Tablo Downloads rem change to path where you want to save converted file
REM define command string
set “cmd1=ffmpeg -i ^”"
REM request source file
set /p "source=Please enter path to source file: "
set “cmd2=%source%^” "
REM add switches
set "cmd3=-bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -vcodec copy -c copy "
REM request output file name
set /p "output=Enter output file name: "
set "cmd4=%output%.mp4"
REM complete command string
set "command=%cmd1%%cmd2%%cmd3%%cmd4%"
REM display command string
echo.command is:%command%
echo.press any key or ^<CTRL+C^> to abort . . .
>nul pause
cls
REM execute command string
%command%

Everyone,
I’ve noticed that if there was a failed recording, the Tablo VLC extension stops at the failed recording. Using a web browser, go to your Tablo recordings. Look for the sections: All, TV Shows, Movies, Sports, Manual and Failed. Go to the Failed tab. Delete any failed recordings that show up there. Restart your VLC. Mine had stopped after 403 shows. After deleting the failed recording, I now show all 853 recordings.
Hope that helps!
Maurice