Tablo-VLC: a VLC media player extension to play and save Tablo recordings

Is this still working for folks? Getting a “Can’t retrieve recordings list…” error today :(.

It would be cool if there was an area on the forum to learn about and download these tools and plugins so they are not scattered in various threads.

@TabloSupport is that something that could be done?

If someone wants to create a ‘how to’ thread I can sticky it in this category.

I like this but it only shows a small fraction of the programs on my Tablo.  Has anyone figured out what to do to get all of the shows to appear?

I like this but it only shows a small fraction of the programs on my Tablo.  Has anyone figured out what to do to get all of the shows to appear?

I’m wondering the same thing… awesome start but it would be cool to download last nights grammys and edit so it’s just the performances to my liking and then throw it out on the plex server.

I just installed the Tablo Extension on my Windows 7 - 64 bit PC under VLC 2.1.5 and see the Tablo option under Internet but when I click on it I get a busy cursor in VLC for about 15 seconds then nothing comes back in the file list from my Tablo 4-tuner box.  I tried rebooting just to be sure and disabling my firewall temporarily but no luck.

Any ideas?

When I click on other choices under Internet I get results back such as Jamendo Selections and Assemblee Nationale…

Thanks!

Still very new to Tablo but finding more and more everyday how useful and powerful it is.

Here is just a rough video walk through of some of my experience with using the Tablo VLC extension.
A lot did not seem very clear reading the other posts but I was able to put some of the pieces together.
Seeing things being tried sometimes helps turn the light on for me and I hope this will be helpful to others.

Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaEVIsFIJV4&hd=1

FFMPEG Options:
One of the things that might be helpful is for those more experienced with using FFMPEG is to share their settings and help us to understand what is going on with the commands. It does seem that the FFMPEG option is much faster at converting the recordings than just going straight through the VLC save options.

Very Best,
Simeon

I get the same results as alanhinrichs Nothing populates. I would definitely appreciate some help.

<div class="Meta CommentMeta CommentInfo">
        <span class="MItem DateCreated">
           <a href="http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/comment/14118/#Comment_14118" class="Permalink" name="Item_44" rel="nofollow"><time title="February 13, 2015  9:37AM" datetime="2015-02-13T16:37:13+00:00"></time></a></span><span class="MItem"><span title="Edited by alanhinrichs on February 13, 2015  9:38AM." class="DateUpdated"></span></span><span class="MItem CommentFlag"></span></div>
Still very new to Tablo but finding more and more everyday how useful and powerful it is.

Here is just a rough video walk through of some of my experience with using the Tablo VLC extension.
A lot did not seem very clear reading the other posts but I was able to put some of the pieces together.
Seeing things being tried sometimes helps turn the light on for me and I hope this will be helpful to others.

Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaEVIsFIJV4&hd=1

FFMPEG Options:
One of the things that might be helpful is for those more experienced with using FFMPEG is to share their settings and help us to understand what is going on with the commands. It does seem that the FFMPEG option is much faster at converting the recordings than just going straight through the VLC save options.

Very Best,
Simeon

Have you tried putting the filename in quotes … I think that was your problem with the inital attempt.

This extension is great! VLC with this extension plays back video better than the Tablo Web App does on my 9 year old laptop. This has salvaged using my laptop to watch Tablo videos; I was using my Nexus 5 propped on my desk instead.

finally got around to installing this (which is silly easy :slight_smile:  )  nice work!!

Got it working. I had to turn off my VPN in order to see the Tablo. Thanks so much for the extension. And thank you simeon for the video.

I get the same results as alanhinrichs Nothing populates. I would definitely appreciate some help.
     <div class="Meta CommentMeta CommentInfo">
        <span class="MItem DateCreated">
           <a name="Item_44" class="Permalink" href="http://community.tablotv.com/discussion/comment/14118/#Comment_14118" rel="nofollow"><time title="February 13, 2015  9:37AM" datetime="2015-02-13T16:37:13+00:00"></time></a></span><span class="MItem"><span title="Edited by alanhinrichs on February 13, 2015  9:38AM." class="DateUpdated"></span></span><span class="MItem CommentFlag"></span></div></blockquote><p>

I don’t really have any answer but I left VLC up and running and I waiting a while then went back and tried clicking on the Tablo in VLC again and in just a few seconds the list of recordings popped up in VLC.   Not sure why the dozen times I clicking on it prior to that did not bring back anything but I would say just keep trying.

I have the Tablo extension for VLC working but when I right click on a recording and select to save it the saved recording seems to be cutting off the last few minutes of the shows.  I tried this on a full length movie and also on a 30 minute TV episode and also tried to save is the MP4 and Divx AVI format with the same issue.

Any idea why it would it would do that and how to fix it?

Have you tried putting the filename in quotes .. I think that was your problem with the inital attempt.

Yes that did the trick.

Also found some interesting FFMPEG information here to help understand how the settings work;

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.264

I tried some of the settings like CRF and Tune and the resulting encoding took over an hour !

(Correction: I was not looking at this correctly.  I was taking for granted that the time being displayed was the elapsed time of the conversion when actually it was the elapsed time of the actual video.  Sorry for the confusion.)

So I guess I still have some more learning to do to find a happy medium between quality and speed of encoding the files from the Tablo.  

Of course a native way to do this from the Tablo app is always going to be a very welcome feature.

Thanks!
Simeon

This saves movies just fine. However, I am unable to see any of the television shows that have been recorded. I have 500 mb of saved shows but can only see three movies.

Any suggestions?

I tried to use this to “export” or “save” from tablo to my notebook. Tablo kept choking on the show due to recording issues it had - poor reception for some reason. It kept stalling and buffering and the show was choppy. So I used this plugin to save, hoping to play the saved file through the browser and cast to the chromecast in the TV.

Ugh - the voice was 4 or 5 seconds behind the video for the first several minutes so we had to abort watching. 
Watching via Tablo cast to the TV was horrible due to Tablo not being able to play a show that had some reception issues, and converting and playing was horrible due to the voice/audio sync issues so we basically lost a whole day of shows. 
I really wish Tablo would do what my DVD recorder does - if the show has some reception issues, say there’s pixel issues, if it breaks up just VERY slightly now and then the DVD recorder records it and you watch it later EXACTLY as it would have been on the TV. Tablo can’t do that - if there’s any breakup at all, even just some squares now and then in the video, Tablo chokes horribly. The DVD recorder faithfully reproduces the show exactly as if you were watching it live, Tablo chokes as the first sign of a less than perfect signal. 
I know it’s because of the recording format Tablo uses - but still the DVD is the most reliable recorder we have now. If you so much as see any pixelation, even if it’s just a rare minor annoyance, Tablo chokes, but the TV plays it fine live and the DVD records it.
When I try to convert or save such a show from Tablo using this method, it has issues with audio track syncing. 
It’s off by several seconds, not just a Milli Vanilli type of thing.

Here is a video demo about tablo- vlc on windows 10

@kwaa  Thanks for the VLC plugin…Can you make it so I can use VLC to play Live TV from Tablo ?

I hate using Flash on a web browser in Windows to watch Live TV, it keeps skipping frames

That’s because flash sucks.  And it’s a resource hog.

i’ve tried the plug-in for VLC but find that converting shows from Tablo to a PC-based format leaves the audio way out of sync with the video. I’ve tried several and each time the voice and image aren’t even close. It reminds me of a Milli Vanilli concert.