Tablo-VLC: a VLC media player extension to play and save Tablo recordings

Yes its much easier … thanks for the ffmpeg tip… I just need to find a buch of options that gives me the same AppleTV2 template in Handbrake … great idea.

You may know this already, but once ffmeg encodes it, I prefer just copying to file server then mess with iTunes. I play the MP4 via the Roku media player.

I find I’m using my AppleTV3 less and less these days.

Same … but I just like to keep ALL the media i put on the PLEX server in the same format (eg. AppleTV2 template in handbrake)… I really dont want some avi’s , mkvs etc… 

@kwaa is there a limit to the number of shows that will appear?  I'm looking for one in particular and it's not there and I activated the id column and looks like 449 could be the maximum count?  Actually it looks like it's only pulling shows through January 16th 2015... hmmm...

This is the easiest way so far to extract show from the Tablo, thanks to all of you for helping the community.
Same here, not all recorded show appear in the list.

Would appreciate if someone could walk me through the specific steps to “export” a saved Tablo program to a separate file. I cannot find an “export” command in VLC anywhere.

Once you have the Playlist shown, right-click on an episode and choose “Save”.  Set the setting you want and a destination file.

I think there are some folks here who deserve a pat on the back and thanks for the efforts to create scripts, plug-ins, etc. for the rest of us to utilize to save recordings off Tablo, export and so on. 

I’m sure it’s a labor of love, so to speak, but it’s still time spent ignoring your wife or kids or the dog. You could be jogging or doing push-ups or mowing the lawn or moving snow or working on the honey-do project list all that time instead. Fun stuff.

1 Like

It would be cool if there was an area on the forum to learn about and download these tools and plugins so they are not scattered in various threads.

@TabloSupport is that something that could be done?
Once you have the Playlist shown, right-click on an episode and choose "Save".  Set the setting you want and a destination file.

Yep, that is what I thought. The problem I had is that VLC will create a file, but then does not copy/save the Tablo recording to the new file. 

Different question - is there any progress indicator to indicate that VLC is copying/saving the new file?

@roraniel We’ll take a look!

Once you have the Playlist shown, right-click on an episode and choose "Save".  Set the setting you want and a destination file.

What settings are ‘normal’? The ‘default’ seems to be: Convert with Profile “Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)” selected. Would a different Profile or different settings be better?

Thank you for this tool, but needs a status so we can see if download is still occurring or has completed.

DHC, “Dump raw input” is the as is download w/o re-encoding. No point re-encoding as Tablo also re-encodes mpeg2 to mpeg4.
Thank you for this tool, but needs a status so we can see if download is still occurring or has completed.

DHC, "Dump raw input" is the as is download w/o re-encoding. No point re-encoding as Tablo also re-encodes mpeg2 to mpeg4.

I wondered about that. Just now tried it with same results as before - the new file is created, but nothing is copied/saved - essentially a zero byte file.

In my case, it saved a file (tested with NBC Nightly News just now), about 1.3GB. Changed extension to .ts and all good. Also appears this new tool/method only works with EPG scheduled shows, not those recorded on the spot or done manually.

In my case, it saved a file (tested with NBC Nightly News just now), about 1.3GB. Changed extension to .ts and all good. Also appears this new tool/method only works with EPG scheduled shows, not those recorded on the spot or done manually.

What did you give for a filename and type? I just now tried (again - for the umpteenth time) and have a filename of ‘Test’ with a file type using the default “Containers (.)”

Gave it ‘test’ as filename and no extension. After download, I renamed it test.ts. No way to tell when download of a particular recording/show is complete, so I just kept refreshing location where download was happening & once it appeared to have ended (filesize not growing any longer), I renamed it with .ts extension.

Gave it 'test' as filename and no extension. After download, I renamed it test.ts. No way to tell when download of a particular recording/show is complete, so I just kept refreshing location where download was happening & once it appeared to have ended (filesize not growing any longer), I renamed it with .ts extension.

I followed EXACTLY the same process and it did not even create a file this time. In fairness, I think this is a VLC problem and not related to the Tablo at all. Thanks for helping me to confirm I am doing things correctly.

Dunno. This new method/tool has promise, so I hope OP will improve it.

Dunno. This new method/tool has promise, so I hope OP will improve it.

Agreed!

I’m trying to extract episodes on my Mac, and when I pull up my Tablo in VLC, I only see 2 episodes of The Blacklist and 2 episodes of Gotham when I have every episode of the current season of these shows on my Tablo.  It only shows the first 2 episodes of the season for each.  Any idea why I can’t see them all?

Gave it 'test' as filename and no extension. After download, I renamed it test.ts. No way to tell when download of a particular recording/show is complete, so I just kept refreshing location where download was happening & once it appeared to have ended (filesize not growing any longer), I renamed it with .ts extension.

There’s a progress indicator at the bottom of the VLC viewer screen; the screen where you’re looking at the Tablo playlist.  I downloaded one show when I first tried it and it work perfect and played perfect after it was downloaded.  My issue is that I don’t see any shows that are newer then January 16 2015 otherwise this would work pretty awesome.

Thanks Suwanee neighbor (I’m in Sugar Hill).