Tablo Tools - Bulk Export/Delete on Win/Mac/Linux

Just stumbled across Tablo Tools - very impressed!

Quick question: Is there a way to add the show’s YEAR after the show name in the episode naming template?

Use case: I’m recording Quantum Leap on my Tablo, both the original (1989) and new (2022) versions. I copy these from Tablo and move to my Plex server so I can watch over there. When I don’t include the year in the episode name, Plex was lumping episodes from the new series in with the old, creating a confusing mess. But by specifying the year, everything works great.

For example, I’m trying to do this:

/TabloRecordings/TV/Quantum Leap (2022)/Season 01/Quantum Leap (2022) - s01e04 - A Decent Proposal.mp4

Instead of this:

/TabloRecordings/TV/Quantum Leap/Season 01/Quantum Leap - s01e04 - A Decent Proposal.mp4

I found the “File Name Templates” section and see a few date fields in there (dateSort, dateNat), but as far as I can tell those are tied to the episode’s air date, not the date the show itself actually launched.

Any ideas?

(For what it’s worth, I’ve been using Tablo Ripper for years which I also love. In fact I found Tablo Tools only because I’m moving to a linux machine and was looking for a linux-compatible alternative. In Tablo Ripper there’s a checkbox “Add release year” which does exactly what I’m describing. I don’t know if the program is getting the year from data on the Tablo or if it’s doing some sort of external lookup, but I mention it as a point of reference.)

Absolutely possible, but there is minimal manual intervention. You’ll need to click + and create a new template, one where you add the text you want to include - 2022 may want to avoid () in filenames. Then save it. Create a second one with the other date.

Then select one template as default, browse show. Hopefully there are saved as two separate shows, select one to export all. Change default naming template then export the other.

If they’re all saved all as one show, then it gets messy. In the template, the left has pre-selected fields. You can navigate through every possible “thing” tablo has for each recording. Maybe there’s yet something for you.

1 Like

So, starting my adventure in migrating to a Linux based Emby server. In Windows World, I’ve been using Tablo Ripper to move media to Emby, but it’s a no-go in Linux Land. Tablo Tools is up and running, and really cool, but I am wondering … Is there an way to automate Tablo Tools so that either as new recordings are completed, or on a scheduled time, it will ‘sweep’ all new recordings from Tablo to the Tablo Tools export directory?

Thanks in advance.

Try SurLaTablo instead. It’s Python and scriptable on Linux.

1 Like

Note: SurLaTablo is still dependent on Python 2.7 (just a PSA from the author)

As things are and as they are going, the longer term viability of Tablo “anything” is questionable. This downfall began long before the takeover btw.

3 Likes

I appreciate the suggestion. However, I guess what I’m asking, somewhat inarticulately, is whether or not the show’s release year is embedded in the Tablo data somewhere? And, if so, can it be made available as a field in Tablo Tools’ template builder?

@CycleJ did this in Tablo Ripper, which is what makes me believe the data is in there somewhere!

original_air_date

It’s present in the meta for a series.

"/recordings/series/3090241": {
    "guide_path": "/guide/series/2816314", 
    "keep": {
        "count": null, 
        "rule": "none"
    }, 
    "object_id": 3090241, 
    "path": "/recordings/series/3090241", 
    "series": {
        "awards": [], 
        "background_image": {
            "has_title": false, 
            "image_id": 3139969
        }, 
        "cast": [
            "Bob Denver", 
            "Alan Hale", 
            "Jim Backus", 
            "Natalie Schafer", 
            "Tina Louise", 
            "Russell Johnson", 
            "Dawn Wells"
        ], 
        "cover_image": {
            "has_title": true, 
            "image_id": 3139968
        }, 
        "description": "Seven people set sail on what is scheduled to be a three-hour sightseeing tour on the charter boat The Minnow, get caught in a storm and end up stranded on an uncharted tropical island together. The comedy comes from the failed attempts at escaping the island and the interaction of the very diverse group: comprised of a rotund but happy-go-lucky skipper, Jonas Grumby (known as \"The Skipper\" ); his bumbling but well-meaning first mate, Gilligan; a snobby well-to-do millionaire, Thurston Howell III and his wife, Lovey; a buxom sexy movie star bombshell, Ginger; a high-school science professor, Roy Hinkley (called \"The Professor\" ); and a nice country girl, Mary Ann. Viewers of the venerable series would be correct to ponder the impossible number of guests who visited the islands, the incredible versatility of the common coconut and the fact that the castaways somehow managed to win the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival.", 
        "episode_runtime": 1800, 
        "genres": [
            "Sitcom"
        ], 
        "orig_air_date": "1964-09-26", 
        "series_rating": "tvg", 
        "thumbnail_image": {
            "has_title": true, 
            "image_id": 3139967
        }, 
        "title": "Gilligan's Island", 
        "tms_id": "SH000018430000", 
        "tms_series_id": "183899"
    }, 
    "show_counts": {
        "airing_count": 97, 
        "failed_count": 0, 
        "protected_count": 0, 
        "unwatched_count": 95, 
        "watched_and_protected_count": 0
    }, 
    "user_info": {
        "up_next": "/recordings/series/episodes/3090245"
    }
}
1 Like

All that is accessible in Tablo Tools. (Im not at a PC to provide screenshot). There are pre-made options on the left side of the template editor. On the right pane you can drill down using any/all of the data, as variables, in your template.

Using {{truncate episode.orig_air_date 4}} in your template will give you the 4 digit year from the original airing date. As illustrated above, then using “handlebar helpers” to truncate to entire date down to just 4 places.

A condense version of the template may look along the lines…

{{episodePath}}/{{stripShowTitle}}-{{truncate episode.orig_air_date 4}}.{{EXT}}
(there was a time formatted text didn’t line break)
would yield a file name

/ export “/media/dvr/Ask This Old House-2022.mp4”

From your request you’d include the episode title {{stripTitle}} add a /Season {{seasonNum}}/ note, you can click on these to add these not type them out… but add the extra text “/Season”
-{{episodeNum}}- and toss in a .{{EXT}} (I believe it will be added by default). This may not be complete for your needs…

I just confirmed the {{truncate episode.orig_air_date 4}} will give you the date you asked about. Yes it is possible. Be sure to give it a name and save it. Set it as default when you add this to the cart. Then change template to add other shows. You can change template add shows prior to exporting. (note, I’ve discovered sometimes changing for the fist time, shows in the cart will all change to the new template UGH)

“shortcuts” as noted are just common values pre-made. You can choose whatever you want from the “full” record that tablo has stored about the recording. You have click on the little triangles to drill way down through more than you never knew.

1 Like

First - thank you to both of you (@cjcox and @djk44883) for the guidance… I see exactly what you’re saying regarding how I can drill down through the “full record” on the right.

The problem is this: the value I’m looking for is the SERIES original air date, not the EPISODE original air date. I just followed what you described @djk44883 and produced the following file as a test:

Star Trek The Next Generation (1991) - s04e18 - Identity Crisis.mp4

While yes, that episode aired in 1991, the proper series year for Star Trek TNG is 1987. As @cjcox pointed out, it looks like the date field I’m seeking should be something like series.orig_air_date. But in the template builder I don’t see a node for “series” data. Am I missing something? Here’s a screenshot of what I’m seeing:

(Notice I tried manually just typing in “series.orig_air_date” in the template builder. That didn’t work.)

I do see your dilemma and my oversight.

Without looking into things, you may need to add exactly the value and select just those episodes, chamge templates and add others.

If ths shows/recordings have the exact same name it can be a PITA. Depending on the hassle, open an issue on github and maybe he’ll add some series options. …you notice the series path in the list, you can manually vies it.

1 Like

Trying to connect to my Tablo to transfer to a new hard drive but TabloTools (v03.14) seems to be stuck on an old connection.
Tried Tablo Connect but that doesn’t seem to be working either.
Any tips?
Is it Mac Silicon (M2 max) compatible?

FWIW, I’m trying to use Tablo Tools to pull some cartoons off the now failing hard drive to put on a new one. Before I get too deep into getting TTools to work for me, is it even an option for achieving this?

Can the Tablo you are attempting to connect to still “see”/play the episodes in question? That definitely has to work before TabloTools can export them.

If that’s fine, I wonder if there is an issue now with newer MacOS versions. Someone else recently mentioned having issues under MacOS when a Windows box had no problems. Does any of that sound familiar?

It does occur to me that Apple changed some application signing stuff at the beginning of December, but it didn’t sound like it would affect anything besides new releases I attempt, not installing/using older versions.

Hi Jesse. I run Tablo Tools on Ventura 13.6.3 and it works great! Don’t know about Sonoma. Thanks again for a wonderful program. Cheers, Jim

TTools can’t seem to find my Tablo. It’s still showing a connection from a whole ago (less shows recorded).
Could it be because my Tablo is connected via Ethernet?

Ethernet shouldn’t matter - can you can connect to it from elsewhere in your house? Did you try checking the things I had that user check (you’ll need to swap in your IP address)?

I tried from a different computer and same issue.
I’m downloading the Crossover app and will try and run the Windows version on that.

Tried doing Tablo Tools (Windows version) using Crossover but couldn’t get that to work.
Tried checking the things you had other user check with my IP address and got the ‘hello world’.
Still not giving me a a fresh look at what’s on my tablo’s hard drive. Still showing an old list of recordings.
PS…Turned off any network filtering (Little Snitch)

Late in the game of Tablo. Recently purchased tablo white 4th gen. Is this tool available for the 4th gen?