Tablo Tools - Bulk Export/Delete on Win/Mac/Linux

Tonight we have v0.2.2-beta.4.
I broke any templates you’ve setup! Such is a woe of beta testing. Simple fix (if you want) - in the config directory, copy SID_XX-naming.db to/over template-naming.db. I won’t have to do that again (with this).

After that, I believe it fixes everything bad that’s been found with this release unless it’s still listed on the Issues page.

Seems to be working! Marvelous. After adding a new template it took one minute for the template Save to go through, probably due to the size of my database but counter-intuitive since instinctively I assumed that just the format of the template needs to be saved. There is no indication that the save operation is taking time (a whirling circle like you use elsewhere might be helpful) so if I didn’t know this from beta testing I would have clicked out long before the operation had stuck.

Notice you took out the delete when complete, which is OK, since one can manually delete the still-selected recordings.

The program DID allow me to change the file name midway during Export and “save” the filename change, although the file was not in fact renamed on its completion (which did not surprise me - but the new name does continue to show on the export page.

The export function is not full-proof however. I exported a file that had a full half-hour recordings and the export “jammed” about two-thirds through, slowing to a crawl and then aborting. But when it aborted it reported the green “success”. And because I had delete when finished checked it in fact deleted the recording having only exported about 18 minutes worth. That is unfortunate. In future I will export without the delete when finished checked, and will manually delete the still-checked recordings if they have in fact successfully exported.

Observation: exporting seems to take variable amounts of time, sometimes going really fast, sometimes slowing to very slow (even multiple real-time seconds per 10ths or 100ths of a recording second), and the Windows Task Manager does not necessarily report high CPU demand by Tablo Tools or otherwise and other Tablo and computer activity is static. No idea why. In general the same length (and quality) recordings can vary by 100% in export time duration on my system. Do this over wifi, so maybe some kind of radio variation?

I’ve only exported a handful of show with tablo-tools. I’ve had pretty much the same results as everything else using ffmpeg to capture streams into mp4 videos. It comes with it’s own prepackages, it follows current build you’d install on your system.

I have tried to replace it with a link to my system installed, and something about the electron-build - it didn’t work, and I didn’t bother.

I doubt there’s anything specific than other export apps or using ffmpeg standalone to vary or fluctuate processing.

It can only process what as it get the data streamed from your tablo. How much network congestion do you have? My perspective, if it can be - it’s wired! Ethernet spec says Cat 5e can run up to 300’ so nobody is really far away.

Yay, at least partially good news!

Right, there should be no reason for the template to take any appreciable time to save despite library size :confused: I’ll check again.

DID allow me to change the file name midway during Export … although the file was not in fact renamed

The behavior, as you’ve mostly found, is that as long as the individual export hasn’t started, you’re good to change it. I’ll further restrict editing.

The export function is not full-proof however

Sorry to hear that happened! I’ll see if I can put a check in to make sure files “look” right before deleting happens.

More than likely the Tablo is “busy” doing other things (people watching, recording, being fussy?) and causing that. That’s also the reason for the “max” concurrent exports (and warning).

If nothing else, once I add export logging, dealing with “exported” files/records after the fact will be possible in some manner.

The full/real v0.2.2 is out now.

Aside from the screwy “complete when not complete” situation, the last few issues mentioned are fixed.

And I updated the “Browse Recordings” areas.

(with .beta4 I saw release notes, not here, just FYI)

In the Search tab (episode view) I click on the scroll for information. It never clears on it own… 5 at a time

gets better:

I click on the details for any recording… and they’re still there

When I clear them out…
My tablo still isn’t 229 -image -

Just “went for it” concurrent exports max’d out and it puked-out

Despite the No log notation, a log is created – ending for each (chronologically)…

[2020-07-06 07:01:33.082] [info] ffmpegPathReal : /opt/TabloTools/resources/node_modules/ffmpeg-static-electron-jdp/bin/linux/x64/ffmpeg

[2020-07-06 07:01:33.086] [info] ffmpegPathReal : /opt/TabloTools/resources/node_modules/ffmpeg-static-electron-jdp/bin/linux/x64/ffmpeg

[2020-07-06 07:01:33.088] [info] ffmpegPathReal : /opt/TabloTools/resources/node_modules/ffmpeg-static-electron-jdp/bin/linux/x64/ffmpeg

[2020-07-06 07:01:33.969] [info] ffmpegPathReal : /opt/TabloTools/resources/node_modules/ffmpeg-static-electron-jdp/bin/linux/x64/ffmpeg
[2020-07-06 07:01:34.027] [warn] An error occurred: Error: Error: Request failed with status code 503
[2020-07-06 07:01:34.039] [warn] An error occurred: Error: Error: Request failed with status code 503
[2020-07-06 07:01:34.044] [warn] An error occurred: Error: Error: Request failed with status code 503
[2020-07-06 07:01:34.202] [warn] An error occurred: Error: Error: Request failed with status code 503

[2020-07-06 07:01:33.090] [info] ffmpegPathReal : /opt/TabloTools/resources/node_modules/ffmpeg-static-electron-jdp/bin/linux/x64/ffmpeg
[2020-07-06 07:01:33.957] [warn] An error occurred: Error: Error: Request failed with status code 503

Changing setting to single export, only change -success! (Well, first had to go to another screen to clear the “failed bars”, then back to export page) There is/was no issue exporting 5 recording one-at-a-time. Each had a unique filename template (not saved).

((on a side note, the log filename, doesn’t follow the export naming conventions 334527-Lucy Worsley's Royal Myths & Secrets-2020-07-06_11-06-24.log < ugh >, one-of-those-things I suppose))

I didn’t delete these (just testing, I still have plans for exporting) I did click [- Clear all] thinking the page/list would clear… but the page doesn’t change. I guess it does clear all the :heavy_check_mark:'d shows.

“Added faded cover image backgrounds when available” Is a nice, eye-candy polished, touch :).

1 Like

I see the scroll info staying open until the scroll is clicked again (toggle on/off) as a feature not a bug. Allows one to take as long as desired to read the info and to have more than one open to compare if/where that’s relevant in a search. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

A feature shouldn’t “over shadow” a window opening on top. The bubble now have no reference where they are from, and I can’t see what I just opened.
This feature opens so I can’t open another one below it - presuming I want multiple scrolls open.

If it stays “always on top”, it’s more of an annoyance than a feature for many users… as it impends function.

If it is to allow multiple scrolls to be opened, it would be more featureific if they opened in a way as not to cover other scrolls.

Back to “always on top”, try scrolling the window contents, while scrolls are staying opened -

Now the feature is rendering to search filters unusable.

Sorry, that may be more than $0.02

1 Like

Looks like a great program that is undergoing some rapid development.
Below is a couple of observations, I will let you decide if they are issues.
Thanks for the work, looks good.

Version 0.2.1

Observation
Tablo Tools does not check to see if the filename exists. It simply overwrites the file instead of creating a new file with the appropriate (#) in the filename.

Observation
Tablo Tools incorrectly names my local late news on export.

The files have a season 0 and episode 0 but their titles are actually dates
20200703_0300
20200702_0300
20200701_0300
On export, each of the files is given the same name
TV\News 6 at 1100p\Season 00\News 6 at 1100p - s00e00.mp4
You may want to consider adding the Title to the filename along with parsing it when the season and episode is zero. See Tablo Ripper example below:

Tablo Ripper, a similar program, adds the title to the filename and seems to parse it when the season and episode is zero. This is what Tablo Ripper exported the file as
News 6 at 1100p - s2020e0702 - 2020-07-02 230000.mp4
Tablo Ripper also creates a temp file for the export then moves it to the final directory after completion. This maybe the way to check for the filename before overwriting it.

Rapid development

Some, may be fixed, or “in the works”. v0.2.2 has gone through alpha and several beta revisions since v0.2.1

I click on the scroll for information. It never clears on it own

It’s always been that way - they clear when you click them again. I can potentially revisit that

My tablo still isn’t 229

Gah. It’s fixed in the next release. When that was mentioned before, I took it as asking about the screenshot and never looked to see that I had, in fact, hardcoded my IP. Whoops.

Just “went for it” concurrent exports max’d out and it puked-out

Sure. As much as I jokingly added “yolo” in that concurrent warning message, it’s not just a joke. Honestly I’m kind of happy to see it reported them failed after hearing of the the faulty success issue #68

Despite the No log notation

That button is always referring to the ffmpeg releated log from the export, not what you can go dig out that’s not necessarily meant to be surfaced. The hope is that I can take backend errors reports and do something useful with them… though that still may simply be “this failed”.

the log filename, doesn’t follow the export naming

I’d completely forgotten I added those. I’m not going to change that, at least not to match custom user formats. When I layer in export logging the filename should be even more moot since I’ll surface that info it has and more in-app (you’ll still have debug settings :slight_smile: ).

ok, I guess I never dug in that much… or clicked through or thought it was a “alpha/beta” thing. Even if multiple is “as designed” the always-on-top is an issue :frowning:

…and a few lines up you coded http://${host} :laughing:

since ffmeg didn’t succeed, it’s presumed there’s no log. But ffmpeg failed with warn generally that’s not a fatal error - well it didn’t create an output file. Actually the first one didn’t even create a warn so it’s unclear what the fail actually is… other than “more than one”

I kind of had realistic explanations about log filenames. On another screwy note. You append time to filename and first line says with it starts
324122-Star Trek-2020-07-06_11-01-33.log

[2020-07-06 07:01:33.965] [info] start processVideo 2020-07-06T11:01:33.965Z

all in UTC while the actual logging is local TZ

1 Like

Thanks for giving it a whirl and posting feedback! In reverse order…

Tablo Tools incorrectly names my local late news on export.

As @djk44883 mentioned, this is fully addressed in v0.2.2 which was released last night and I’m guessing you missed since I just updated the website. The default filename should work out-of-the-box now, but you can also specify templates or just rename at the time of export. Post back if you have questions or problems.

Tablo Tools does not check to see if the filename exists

Yeah. The best 0.2.1 did was show you that it would be overwrriten. 0.2.2, as per above, will let you change the file name. The plan (soon? next?) is to add some export controls for that. Feel free to add any thoughts to that you’d like.

Happy to report that edited naming templates on my machine is saving pretty instantly. Same with a new template now. Still, important to add ability to delete obsolete/undesired templates.

I second the point about some episodes needing names where there isn’t clear season/episode numbering (like the news example). As you probably know, the Plex template for television programs would be:

{{episodePath}}/{{showTitle}}/Season {{seasonNum}}/{{showTitle}} - {{episodeNum}} - {{title}}

In an ideal world, if the {{title}} is null, the final dash would auto-delete so the file isn’t named with a hanging dash+space. As you know, some programs don’t have names but only season/episode numbers. The writing over an exported episode file with a new one is a real issue, even if it’s just that the previously exported program was re-recorded on the Tablo for some reason - should offer the overwrite/rename option, I think.

My own personal peeve, I wish I could change the hardcoded lowercase s00e00 to capital S00E00, to fit with my library. (I realize this is personal preference.)

Looking very good.

I agree with the others that this is working as expected. It’s a toggle in my mind. I have to intentionally toggle it on, so I don’t want it to automatically collapse after some period of time. Since it’s a toggle, if I want it off, I need to toggle it off.

I added deleting and somehow lost it, so I’ll make sure I put it back.

For things like the news, the default template does this for the actual filename and replaces the blank episode number with the date:

{{showTitle}} - {{episodeOrDate}}

(it wasn’t like that in some first betas)

You can see just dropping the episode number would cause a bunch of dupe names/overwritten file, which I can’t deal with automatically yet (but will soon).

The template language (Handlebars) will let you manipulate the variables in lots of ways.
For example, the uppercase want is quickly solved by using this in your template:

{{uppercase episodeOrDate}}

Obviously I need to figure out how/where to document more easy to use things like that…

Thanks for that uppercase tutorial! (One of life’s ironies that {{Uppercase… doesn’t work.)

1 Like

ok, but when a user scrolls the screen and they follow along - they should go under the search filter(?)

If I click on on a details [i] of an episode - if that doesn’t mean I want them off - they shouldn’t be on top of the pop-up (?)

They are in random locations - at the end of episode titles, and random lengths. The can overlap the recording below, the scroll icon below (so I have to click them in order) and possibly each other.

Open a couple [scroll] screens of the scroll bubbles. Notice a double scroll bar (maybe you need to open a few deeper). Now scroll the right-most

They not only scroll over the filter settings, the don’t scroll under “the bottom” and extend the “page”.

That’s not how I’d expect it to be. I’d almost expect to see a small description of each episode just by looking at the screen I guess (never really thought much about it, or care too much). s00e00 helps me keep track of things. Episode title is nice, if I wanted to know, this is same hassle with tablo’s UI have to “drill down” to find any thing.

A feature — for the above, there’s plenty of room for most of that text. What doesn’t fit, the dreaded ellipses truncation and that could be a clickable to the rest - now I could see that being featureific - it’s there, useful information - no user action needed. It’s not intrusive, doesn’t mess up the viewport,

I never really noticed them much until they got in the way, and discovered they were a feature, I don’t see it.

Not to discount all the work @jesse has put into this. I know he had a working program, then suddenly it grew and grew and now it’s an amazing beast. As for user features - he has gone over the top with adding and polishing tablo-tools since he announced it here with v0.1.x

I’m not criticizing the application, just debating feature / annoyance / bug / enhancment

I don’t keep enough recorded things long term to run into issues like that, which is why I didn’t voice anything other than my agreement about the display/don’t display situation (nothing about the placement, just whether or not it’s displaying the details) correctly functioning as a toggle.

1 Like

Generally neither do I, likely why I never really noticed it either. Episode descriptions are usually “not important” since we export most of our recordings, unless there’s an export show.desc to go with it.

I do appericate he’s focusing on the naming template, the UI is largely functional.