Tablo suddenly giving "error: unknown error"

My 4 tuner Tablo has the latest firmware installed. Suddenly out of no where,. When I try to play a channel I get “error: unknown error”.
It will not play live TV or any recordings. It doesn’t work from Roku, firetv or PC.
Eventually after a few minutes it will bounce out to the search screen and not be able to find the tablo. If I restart the tablo I can connect to it briefly and get the same errors and eventually it falls off the network. All my other apps work.

Could there be a worst error message?
“error: unknown error” that is ridiculous.
Any ideas? I’m getting pissed I can’t watch TV.
Please help.
Thanks

(humor ahead)

Maybe it should say “error: This is an error we would like to get to know better.”

In all seriousness, my favorite are IBM error messages which are like:

“Error: A325 has occurred”

So… you look that up in the very large error manual and it reads:

“A325: Error A325 has occurred”

Lol, it’s definitely frustrating.

So I may have figured the issue out. I did notice that after deleting a few recordings recently, it would still show the icon with a number 1 like I had an unwatched video. When clicking on it, there are no recordings. It’s been acting a little weird and the display seems off from the internal database.
For the hell of it I unplugged the external hard drive and restarted the Tablo. It seems to be able to play live TV. I will experiment with the hard drive today.
Maybe it’s dying. It’s less than 3 years old, and only ever been used for the tablo.

Would nice to get some type of hard drive error in the future, not “error: unknown error”!!!

@Bmwpowr - Yep, that’s a pretty lame error message. Sorry :frowning:

The best way to get back up and running faster (and for us to figure out what the error actually IS so we can make a better message), is to drop a note to our support team so they can take a look at your Tablo: www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo

Just wanted to post an update.
I bought a new hard drive and it did fix the problem.
Sucks that the seagate drive I had only lasted 2 years, but I bought a replacement and all is working again.
Hopefully the error message is updated and it will make trouble shooting this issue in the future easier for someone.

That’s why I don’t buy Seagate any more — they seem to fail in a year or two.

My 2TB portable been running hot and straight for 4 yrs on Tablo

I had the 1TB seagate, I replaced it with the approved 2TB. Hopefully it lasts longer. :slight_smile: