Tablo RV On the Go!

Bottom line what I need as a Full Time RV traveler with NO access to Internet when we are in rural locations Boondocking or Dry Camping.

1. While I am in areas with adequate internet access I need the ability to record programs on all 4 tuners and save on my attached hard drives.
  2. While Boondocking or Dry Camping, WITHOUT internet access, I need the ability to access my pre-recorded programs with absolutely no re-recording and display these on my devices through Tablo Apps over my Router Wifi.
  3. Tablo absolutely needs to feed via Wifi to my onboard Router. Without Wifi feed a USB, Ethernet port or cable OUT to router would also work.
    Make These Happen! So the entire RV and traveling community that chooses to transport equipment with them can get the most bang for the buck.
    Thank Everyone In Advance For There Input to the Task at Hand, Record, Play with Core Equipment Mobile Router Only…
    PatTim JauntAbout.US

PS: According to the information at the following link > Tablo will not work without Internet Access < Tablo has a long way to go to be a “GoTo” TV resource for RV’ers, tail-gaters, or other similar uses. Someone will figure all this out at some point, I hope!
https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-faqs-do-i-need-internet-use-tablo-ota-dvr/

Tablo does all these already, assuming you’re using a streamer box that will run the Tablo app without internet access.

1 Like

Exactly what does that answer mean? I want to stream from the Tablo storage I attach to my Router and onto all devices without having to connect to the internet. Please be clear!

There are certain devices that require an internet connection in order to access the Tablo content. These days I think primarily when accessing it via a browser. If you have for example a Roku that you are using to access the Tablo content it does NOT require an active internet connection to view previously recorded content.

1 Like

A Roku is not a Router. When I talk router for an RV I am talking about WiFiRanger ACGO, Some Pepwave mobile routers, and possibly MoFi router. All of these units are examples of Mobile routers types. Typically they use a cell phone or dedicated hotspot as an internet source AND internet is not always available. The only constant is your RV internal router (wired or Wifi) network. This solution could also be used in your home with cell internet access. But, access to your recorded programs needs to work independently of internet and constantly over your RV internal network for access to your recorded programs for broadcast to various devices using the Tablo App for that devise. The solution is not more devices and more power use and more integration problems that other devices bring with them.

FlyingDriver,
Do all Tablo apps (Desktop, Laptop, Tablet, Cell Phone, etc. ) run independently of any internet (when internet is not available) connection when trying to access and watch your Tablo recorded content/programing over your private internal (intranet) network via customer owned router OR are other devices and software required to access and watch your Tablo recorded content?
Thanks FlyingDiriver or anyone with first hand experience using Tablo apps for similar purpose.

NO, to watch your free OTA recorded TV you’ll need to pay for internet access. Despite the box saying it’s required “To download guide data.” and “stream HDTV out-of-home.” it’s required for basic function.

There are work around, these aren’t what you asked for or about though. I’ve seen downloaders mentioned, no real first hand experience specifically with them. I have found I you can access playlist and use a media player, but it’s a pita figuring out which shows they are. I use smplayer.

Here ferris-tablo give a hint how to get a play list - you could watch your browsers network traffic just as well. (If you want to use the script, I replace avcon with ffmpeg)
if you know the IP it’s http:/[IP to your tablotv]:18080/pvr/ each of those number are a recorded show. in the end you’ll want http://[IP to your tablotv]:18080/pvr/6800/pl/playlist.m3u8 link to Open URL in smplayer.

Right, it’s not practical, but a last resort pita workaround if you’re in the desert I guess

The Tablo apps (except for web browser app) don’t need Internet to access the Tablo and play recorded content. Unfortunately, some streamer boxes won’t even run the Tablo app unless they have an Internet connection. I’m pretty sure the FireTVs are in this category. Nilex says the Roku boxes aren’t. I have not tested Android or AppleTV to know one way or the other. Or the various mobile device apps. If you post the specific clients you want to use, I’m sure someone on the forum will be able to tell you.

I probably shouldn’t say this on the Tablo forums, but in my opinion, the Tablo is not the right solution for people with a mobile lifestyle (or where they don’t have alway-on Internet access).

You would be better off with a USB attached OTA capture device connected to a small computer. Something that requires zero Internet access. This will require more effort to set-up than a Tablo.

P.S. I’m thoroughly jealous of your ability to go RVing full-time. I dream of taking a year or two and driving all over North America.

P.P.S. I thoroughly enjoy my Tablo and am considering getting a 4-tuner (I have a 2-tuner). It is very good at what it does.

2 Likes

We wouldn’t disagree with this.

While full-time RVing sounds super fun and awesome, it’s really not an environment that Tablo was designed for.

2 Likes

What device are you trying to watch theTablo on? As @TabloTV says and their FAQ also says they don’t recommend a Tablo without always on internet but if you are really determined others have made it work pretty well without “extra” equipment.

The absolute minimum requirements are a hard drive, Tablo, router, display, streaming device, and at least intermittent internet access.

Some of these devices might combination devices. For instance one Tablo model has the hard drive built in, a phone is a display and streaming device, a Roku TV is a display and streaming device, ect…

https://www.tablotv.com/blog/tablo-faqs-do-i-need-internet-use-tablo-ota-dvr/

The Roku uses the wifi provided by your router to connect to the tablo that is also on your routers wifi or hard wired to your router. No third party internet required.

Here’s a solution for RV campers and long-haul truckers: mydroidtv.com I’ve used it for a several years (since we were posted to S. Korea.) Programs are pushed down to your android device when a wifi connection is available, for playback when you want.

They only offer network primetime programs they can legally obtain through distribution channels, but they do have many of this season’s offerings. They DO NOT offer local programs, daytime programs or sports. They do, however, offer a large number of programs from previous seasons’ favorites, which you can select to have “pushed” to your android device. They also offer some programs from Showtime and TNT. (No HBO, because of licensing restrictions.)

They do not offer any support for IOS. Costs are reasonable and they offer monthly or lifetime subscriptions. Programs are pushed out in .MP4 files, and resolution is somewhere between 480p (full screen) and 720p.

Works well for us, and is a nice compliment to our “house-bound” Tablo.

You need a router where the DHCP server is still working or enabled at router boot when the WAN is unavailable.

But the original question didn’t include the need to record new programs. Why not buy an additional 8TB disk and rip all the desired programs to it. Then all you have to have is your preferred playback mechanism.

I pay allot for mobile data, I just don’t have data everywhere I go! Unfortunately! It’s not an acceptable product for serious use by the RV Motorcoach Crowd or Truckers. Unless of course, they want to spend wasted time with problematic work arounds. You would think that when a company allows you to download programs for your own use,they would also provide you with the opportunity to use the DATA when ever or where ever you want and if that’s in a place with no internet it should not be a problem. BA, HUMBUG Company. Sorry, major flaw…I pay alot for mobile data, I just don’t have it everywhere I go!
Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately you could live in a location where you internet goes down and it would be much like an RV. Your computer is still working, all your devices are working over your WiFi intranet, and you can’t watch your programs. Major flaw in the Tablo and Apps. That’s just my opinion. There are literally thousands appon thousands of people out there that deal with this every day.
Thanks everyone…

Why should I need to buy any extra equipment. This is just a Flaw, sorry that’s just the way I feel…I cant use a great product. I should be able to record at Grandmas place or Uncle Jacks or at the Mall If that is the Way I set my Tablo up. And, clearly I should be able to dispense anything I have put on my own hard drive attached to the Tablo any time any where I want with no internet. No Roko, no special boxes no workarounds. See my programs on Tablo hard drive, See all essential information and request and play the content over the Tablo App.

My Roku works fine with tablo when the WAN goes down. The issue is that most routers also take the DHCP server down when the WAN goes down. The DHCP server is required for initial IP address reservation and IP lease renewal.

If your DHCP server is still working with the WAN down it should work with Roku.

But since it’s your router device you have to figure out if the DHCP server is functional with WAN down or if the DHCP server is functional if the router is booted with the WAN down.

Is an independent Tablo App available for my Large desktop computer that I use as my All in one TV Computer. Or is my only option to use a browser to see Tablo Hard Drives programs?
Thanks!

Tablo seems perfect for the RV crowd and would be a perfect solution for many.

Like Tablo said it wasn’t made for RVing was made for in home use and streaming outside your home if you have wifi available or data.