Tablo Roku App (4th Gen) Update (v. 0.8.300 & v. 0.8.401)

Same here crashes about every 5 minutes, reboots and repower of everything doesn’t help. I’ve requested to return Tablo as it is unwatchable now and support is apparently non-existent. I would like to revise my positive review of this product.

I am hoping that Tablo comes up with an update to fix this crashing issue. I hate not being able to watch network TV with my Roku Ultra

Wow what happened to my Tablo 4th gen. We purchased ours in September and have been enjoying mostly trouble free viewing for 2.5 months. Well some issues but nothing earth shattering. In the last few days and especially today the following started happening. We are using a Roku Ultra 4660X Version 12.5.0 Build 4178-46. Tablo app is Version 8.3. Tablo firmware is 2.2.47.

• When opening, it sometimes takes very long to start. I usually give up waiting then back out and try again.
  • Today it started giving us the “register and setup” screen when opening. We can back out and after a few more tries it may or may not open normally.
  • Many episodes say they are still recording when they are clearly done. In order to delete these we have to select “stop recording”. But that does not always work the first time. After multiple tries we can finally delete them.
  • Sometimes when we try to delete an episode the delete button is showing available but is unresponsive.
  • Sometimes we have to exit Tablo and restart to clear or fix the above issues.
  • Today my wife tried to get Tablo to work again by exiting and restarting. It would not restart. Took many many tries of various methods to get it to restart successfully.
  • We very seldom watch live TV. Yesterday I started a show and watched for 5 minutes or so and it worked fine. Left the room and came back about 5 minutes later and Roku was on the home screen so it crashed when I was gone. This has been reported by many people already.

Watching recordings never crash. So as long as we watch recordings we can view what we want. I think there’s more but I’ll stop it here because now the Tablo will NOT open at all. It gets stuck on the opening screen with the spinning circle. We tried at least 10 times to get it to start with no success.

1 Like

Just ran an update and it appears the app went back to Version .8 Build 100.

I’ve seen the register menu once and I just said I already had an account. How much of this is being caused by the app phoning home or app artifacts still running in the back ground. Mine clears up if I reboot the roku. I’m still trying to get it to stop making partial recordings and segmented recordings from FAST channels. Of course every once in a while I try to schedule a FAST recording and it never makes it the scheduled list.

Both my 4200 and 4660 just went back in time through the worm hole.

Einstein was right. It was just an illusion that we thought we were on release 8.3

I’m half-tempted to just mail you guys the extra “sticks” I don’t use. I’ve upgraded my house too many times and this cache of TV attachments just lies around collecting dust! (Although, I suppose it wouldn’t help get rid of the two Rokus quite yet…)

Has anyone tried casting to their TV? What about AirPlay to the Rokus? Yeah, not the best option, but maybe a temporary solution to get by…

(And yes, I understand the ridiculousness of them NOT having a supported AppleTV app as well as the fact that the Rokus only use AirPlay…)

I’m going to suggest this and try this at the same time:
Hitting REC on a show you’d like to watch live, waiting a few seconds, then going to that recording and hitting Play/Pause from the remote… like a timeshift loop.

Okay, here goes nothing, considering: A) I don’t use my Roku much OR watch a lot of live TV; B) I haven’t even tested my Roku to see if it crashes at ALL on live viewing…

That could explain why when we tried Tablo again about 20 minutes after posting here it worked just fine like it did before 8.3.

Aww crap! It did it automatically! Well, guess we’ll try more experiments another day.

Hang on Arhc…I’m having the same crashing issues…especially after the .8.300 update – but did you see what just happened? We’re back in time now to .8.100 and my issues are much improved. This means the Tablo crew is really working on this and trying hard to make things better each day. I LOVE that improvements and fixes can be made on the fly – and clearly this is what’s happening. Can’t wait for the next update. I know it’s gonna be BIG!

That is exactly what just happened. When the next update is ready to go, it’s gonna be BIG. Go Tablo Go!!!

I have a Roku tv, Roku Ultra, and two other Roku 4k sticks, all previously worked and on every one new updated app for Tablo crashes. Apple iPad app works perfectly no problem. I have restarted and deleted apps on all devices, please fix soon, clearly a Roku app problem.

And now it appears to be working, either the streaming gods or Tablo responding, thanks for the quick fix

1 Like

It looks like the new version of the Tablo app on Roku was backed out either by Tablo or Roku. The channel list is no longer sorted and the settings in the app no longer shows the version number (how do you find out the version number now?).

probably the star button on the roku remote.

Select the app and then click the * button. This will give the version and build.

Yes, that worked.

That worked.

Mine seems to be working now too /12/10/2023.

Hi all, thank you for your patience. Over the weekend, we successfully managed to roll back the Roku application to its previous version.

The majority of Rokus should no longer experience the crash after streaming live TV, but some Rokus (typically older units with lower memory) may still see this crash. We are investigating options for these units now.