Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

I am receiving the following error when trying to run the executable “This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor.”

I am on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine.

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

The standard version is 64-bit only (for performance), but if you’re stuck on 32-bit Windows, you’re stuck.

I’ve uploaded a 32-bit build of the current version to the “experimental” folder (use the same download link, you’ll see it). I can’t promise to keep the 32-bit version updated unless it turns out to be wildly popular.

But give it a go, and let me know what you think.

How about adding a button that will take you to the my.tablotv.com link? Great work on this software, it is very useful!

3 Likes

Awesome! I’ll check it out tonight!

@jasonehuber
Simple and obvious, yet didn’t occur to me. Check out version 1.0.8.

2 Likes

Many thanks @CycleJ for this great app. I just dowloaded it today and ripped a movie I had already recorded on my Tablo and it worked perfectly !!! :smile:

4 Likes

Works perfect! Thank you so much!!!

First off, Fantastic App. Just upgraded and trying it out.

I have a question about a possible feature.
Is there any way to set a max file size? (I am sure it is currently based on the quality of the Tablo recording which I have set at 1080p and is dependent on the station quality). But would it be possible to put in a general maximum file size per hour of recording? Most things I store locally I try to keep in the range of about 1 GB per hour. to try and balance quality and file size (I use my local stored movies on the TV only 20% of the time, otherwise, tablets, laptops and phones). So right now I am getting some 1 hour shows at about 800mb and some as high as 4gb or more.

and last, is there an option to donate for your work?

First off, you’re not the first person to notice the wide range of bitrates encoded in Tablo recordings. Output files sizes are all over the place. While I like the default option to rip lossless copies, it’s really quick, and lets you adjust the results using post-processing (MCEBuddy, HandBrake, etc.), it’s not for everyone.

I’ve been trying different ways to alter the ffmpeg ripping options to achieve “customization”. My first thought was to allow you to create your own “ffmpeg.cmd” file, and prefer it to running “ffmpeg.exe”. You’d have complete control, but explaining what the parameters are and how they work could get tedious for some of the “non-command prompt” users.

Another thought is to just have a place to enter ffmpeg options for “advanced” users. At the moment, I’m running ffmpeg with these options:

ffmpeg -y -i input.url -codec copy -strict -2 -c:a aac -threads 0 output.mp4

But, if you google your suggestion, you get alternatives like these:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Limiting%20the%20output%20bitrate

Allowing users to fine tune the rip seems better than adding obscure options to select from a menu of canned solutions. I’m not sure a short list of options would address everyone’s requirements.

So I’m blatantly soliciting thoughts/suggestions.What would be an easy way to get there from here?

PS: Thanks for the kind words - that’s payment/motivation enough. It’s free - enjoy!

CycleJ - love the software, it is fabulous! I really appreciate all of your hard work on this.

I usually rip shows from the Tablo just to get them ultimately loaded to my Ipad. The resolution of DVD video is usually 720*480, and this resolution looks pretty good on the Ipad and only takes 800mb to 1.2gb for a two hour movie. It is a nice compromise resolution between quality and file size (since my Ipad only has 64gb of storage).

How about a drop-down box with four or five choices for resolution, allowing the user to decide what their target device should be? If it is Plex, take the full resolution, if the Ipad, something like 720*480. I bet you could cover 90% of the devices out their with just a handful of choices.

Please take this suggestion as a positive suggestion that could make a great piece of software even better. I know that I can just reconvert the output of the current Table Ripper to an Ipad friendly resolution. But, at the end of the day, I am lazy and would love to do it all within Tablo Ripper in one easy step!

If you change your mind about accepting donations, please send me a PM with your email address. Tablo Ripper has greatly increased the utility of my investment in my Tablo hardware!

Thanks for the reply, combining your responce and northlandtablo’s, maybe it might be easier to have a drop down box for resolution choice that then simply creates a properly set up ffmpeg.cmd file in the proper directory. Then all you program is realy doing is a gui drop box and a file copy into the same location as the ffmpeg.exe file.

Thats assuming i am understanding the ease of the change in ffmpeg. A few options are probably plenty for most people. Those that want more are probably capable of coming up with a way to do it.

How about the best of both worlds. A gui drop down box for a few standard configurations that notifies a ffmpeg.cmd file and instructions to how to find the ffmpeg.cmd file if they want to fine tune. If they mess up the command ffmpeg.cmd file while fine tuning by hand they can just reset one of the presets from the gui drop down selection to get a working file again.

Ok, I hear what you’re saying: canned options are easiest. And I agree. But it’s hard for me to guess what set of options is “best” for any given individual. How about this - find a set of options that work for you, and if you think they’ll be useful for others, send them to me. I’ll add them to a combo box to share with everyone.

How? Well, it’s not all that hard to do:

1. Check the “verbose debugging option”, select a recording, and hit “start selected”
  2. In the command prompt window, look for the “input” line. It’ll look like this:
    Input #0, hls,applehttp, from ‘http://192.168.0.99:18080/pvr/50217/pl/playlist.m3u8’:
  3. Open a command prompt window in the folder containing FFMPEG.EXE and run FFMPEG using your own set of options. Google is your friend, there’s plenty of options for FFMPEG. Try them all!

To get you jump started, here’s the command line TabloRipper runs for that particular URL (your URL will be different, that’s why you need to look at the command prompt window):

ffmpeg.exe -y -i http://192.168.0.99:18080/pvr/50217/pl/playlist.m3u8 -codec copy -strict -2 -c:a aac -threads 0 "C:\Users\Public\Videos\Tablo\Zoo - s01e10 - Emotional Contagion.mp4"

The part I’d really appreciate you submitting to me is:
-codec copy -strict -2 -c:a aac -threads 0

With whatever FFMPEG options you want to see as a preset.

Let me know if you get stuck, I’ll be happy to help.

Since I am moving to a new hard drive, I am using this to copy about half my recordings over to my PC (I don’t need the other half).

I am very impressed so far, though it does take a while to copy about half a TB over. Thanks for this tool!

1 Like

I use tablo2go and have been happy with it’s default settings they use of -y -i sourcefilename -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc -c copy new filename
I do run a script on each file before I store it on my NAS to chop off the recording from the front (normally a few seconds) and the back (anywhere from a couple of minutes to a lot of time for live recordings). I just leave the commercials in place though.

Got the new tablo update installed a bit ago. Seems now TabloRipper isn’t ripping. I’ll be looking more into this, but thought I post just in case there is a problem between them.

-Rodger

Only the background service is affected apparently. I was able to manually rip fine.

After the 2.2.2 firmware update rebooted on my quad, I wasn’t able to “see” any recordings for several hours using the usual http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:18080/plex/rec_ids URL (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your internal tablo IP address). Didn’t work in a browser, didn’t work in TabloRipper. Weird!

But after resetting my Tablo, or maybe it was just that I waited long enough, the recording list started working again. Perhaps it took some time to rebuild? I dunno. But until your Tablo reports the current recording list, there’s no way either foreground or background ripping works correctly.

I haven’t tried contacting support because although the issue started the moment the firmware update completed, it vanished quickly.

Anyone else (in addition to @marjamar) notice something similar?

Haven’t gotten the notice to update my Tablo firmware yet, but I’ll give this a try as soon as I do and see how Tablo Ripper responds.

Seems reverting back to v.1_0_5 has fixed the background service OK. I think I will leave well enough alone for now.

-Rodger