Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

A follow-up for others, the Exclude sports functionality works great! The outstanding issue I had was a local permissions issue and once I resolved it everything worked as expected. Thanks for the assistance @CycleJ!

1 Like

Thanks for sticking with it and helping me find that bug! So obvious I couldn’t see it when staring right at it .

I am having issues with tablo ripper getting stuck & stops working. Any new updates coming?

That’s troubling, but I don’t have anything new in the pipeline. Maybe one of the recent tweaks broke something? If you could isolate an incident in your log file, that might help. Also, try downloading an older version to see if that helps.

When you say ‘getting stuck’, I assume you mean a rip hangs without completing? It’s supposed to timeout after a couple minutes if ffmpeg hangs, so I’d really like to see your log file.

It seems to be better on the 2.1.4 version

So, exactly where do you see it ‘hang’? Foreground? Background?

background…when it sticks there many ffpeg services running

I have to manually close them all to get it unstuck but that only works temperately

Then I suspect I know what’s going on. I’ll have a beta tomorrow.

Awesome! Thanks!

Seems to working after the update!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’ll promote it from beta.

Man this app is great. Thanks so much!

My main feature request would be to make it easier to transcode. Generally when I rip from my Tablo it’s to put the video on my phone, where full-quality 16g+ files are overkill, so I use Handbrake to scale it down to 720p first.

A way to automatically launch another process when a rip completes (and pass it the filename), and/or a way to customize the ffmpeg command (so I could skip a step and use that to transcode on the fly) would be amazing.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words :sunglasses:

TabloRipper’s default setting for FFMPEG “copy” your recordings (which is quick), but they’re easy to customize for your own purposes.

1. Edit your “C:\ProgramData\TabloRipper\Settings.xml” file using a text editor (Notepad works just fine).
  2. Modify this setting to your heart’s content:
    <FfmpegOptions>-codec copy -strict -2 -c:a aac -threads 0</FfmpegOptions>

Let me know how it goes!

PS: You might be interested in checking out MCEBuddy. It’ll monitor your TabloRipper output folder and automatically kick off a whole host of post-processing options (like removing commercials).

Aw snap, that’s perfect, I’ll put my transcode in there and skip Handbrake altogether. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’m thinking of getting a Tablo but here’s my problem. I get two channels OTA at home.

Let’s say I have a rental property that gets tons of channels OTA, just a few miles away. I’d love to set up a Tablo at the remote site and then just download those recordings to a local Plex server at home and not have to deal with the Tablo remote viewing option that people complain about.

According to previous remarks on this thread, Tablo Ripper is intended to work on the same network as the Tablo. If I’m on a separate network, does the refresh button work well enough to connect to the remote Tablo, or do I need to set up dynamic DNS on the remote router or use some other workaround? Or is this just doomed to fail? Has anyone set up something like this?

Let’s say you have a Tablo at site #1, and it has a local/internal static IP address that you assign with router #1. Next step is to forward port 8885 from the outside world to your internal Tablo IP address.

Then you install TabloRipper at site #2, and point it to the external IP address (or DNS name) of site #1.

TabloRipper should connect to your Tablo. But so can anyone else knowing that same connection info. There is no password!

Alternatively, you could set up TabloRipper at site #1, saving the output to your Plex server. Now you can watch from anywhere and anything using Plex (which is password protected).

Which sounds better to you? That’s why I’ve never bothered to test option #1. Not recommended.

Thanks for clarifying that. Actually, option 1 is more appealing to me because I’m not imposing on the tenant with lots of stuff – it would just be a Tablo + drive + small antenna. Once I add a separate box for TabloRipper + Plex, it starts getting messy. (Would need a keyboard, mouse and monitor for tweaking and debugging.) I’d rather transfer files overnight and not impose on the tenant’s upload bandwidth at other times.

Just how vulnerable is the Tablo to hacking? Can someone get in and take down the network with it? A prankster who schedules some recordings or deletes stuff is less of a worry.

If outside intrusion is a problem, I suppose I could set up a router to router VPN to make it look like the Tablo is on the same network to TabloRipper, yet still be closed to the outside world. I wonder if anyone has tried that.

The good news is, you let me know it is possible to use Tablo and TabloRipper for this purpose. Now I can work on putting it together.

##Important Note:

Starting with Tablo Version 2.2.11 beta 5, your old version of TabloRipper (1.x.x) will stop working. No worries, just download the latest version (all 2.x.x versions will continue working) and you’re good to go.

Thanks, CycleJ! Appreciate all your work on Tablo Ripper. Y’all haven’t heard much from me lately, but I still use it and find it valuable.

3 Likes

Can anyone tell me why I am getting a 401 unauthorized error message when trying to START the ripping? Tablo Ripper finds my Tablo without a problem but will not list out anything - all boxes are empty. I then click START and get the 401 unauthorized error message.

I am on Windows 10 64 bit running the latest version of Tablo Ripper.

Thanks