Tablo Ripper - Automatically download new recordings

How is your Tablo connected to your network? Ethernet or WiFi?

1 Like

I’ll disagree on this one…ffmpeg pulls it off as quickly as the Tablo will send it, which is not 1.x…I get speeds similar to mentioned before…< 5 min’s for an hour show.

I also agree that it’s not likely the speed of his pc or his hard drive…so the only link in the chain that I can see is his connection to the Tablo…

1 Like

@cjcox,

I just started doing research on SurLaTablo, but at this point I’m at work, and supposed to be working, so I don’t know if this will run on Windows 10, or if it is Linux (or whatever flavor) based.

@CycleJ,
So that means that I would either have to manually delete the shows I’ve copied/ripped/whatever to my backup folder, or I would have to create a new backup folder to create a new backup of my current files stored on my Tablo external hard drive. That’s not a very good solution.

@tickko
Everything in my network is hard wired.

Best Regards,

Robert

I just cancelled my backup that started around 8:00 PM EST last night, and only has 17 .mp4 files ripped at 12:3 PM EST.

There has to be a better way to do this!

Best Regards,

Robert

It sure seems that the easiest thing for me to do would be to purchase a WD 4TB My Book Duo Desktop RAID External Hard Drive - USB 3.1 - WDBFBE0040JBK-NESN, from Amazon for $229, and set it up as RAID 0, and connect it to my Tablo, and then not worry about needing to backup my recordings.

Opinions?

This backing up with third party application sure seems not worth the trouble.

Best Regards,

Robert

To be fair, all the third party solutions you’ve discussed here are NOT designed for backup. They’re designed to move the video content to an alternative playback system, like Plex.

There is one script that was published specifically designed to back up the Tablo drive. It requires a Linux-like environment: Backup-tablo.sh - Backup all recorded shows from a Tablo

1 Like

SurLaTablo needs python (2 btw, not 3) and ffmpeg. I have an old howto video (Windows 7) at https://endlessnow.com/ten/SurLaTablo/Installation.mp4 It’s out of date… but still… might be useful.

I have tested SurLaTablo with Windows 10, MacOS (up to High Sierra at least) and of course, pretty much any Linux.

If all you want is a “backup in case of hard drive failure”, then RAID sounds good.

If you’re looking to re-home your recordings, you’ll want one of the many ripper options available. But I agree - it shouldn’t take an hour to rip a one-hour show. There’s something else going on that limits how quickly your Tablo is sending data to FFMPEG.

This isn’t really a “backup” process. I use capto with wrapto, which uses ffmpeg as well. I have a much slower PC, over a wired network.

Recording quality and length will have an impact, but generally about a 1.5 seconds to a minute ratio recording 5mbps. - 112 seconds for a 1h1m show…

yea, there’s a better way to to it - I hope you discover your issue! 3rd party apps rock!

Is there any way to upload files to the Tablo? I ripped a recording from PBS and edited out the pleas for money. Now I would like to transfer the edited version of the file back to the Tablo.

Nope. It doesn’t work like that. Tablo didn’t store the “recording” in one big file.

It transcode the data so it can stream it over the network.
[edit]
Then it uses the guide data to store information about recordings in it’s DB, so “pretending” you put it in a format tablo could use, it would have no way to know it’s there… to display it in the list of shows to play.

OK, thanks. Sorry for the dumb question!

1 Like

I recommend you install the Plex or Emby media server on your computer.

Yeah, I actually do have a Plex server. I was just curious if it could be done.

It’s not truly a dumb question, it’s been asked before. Lack of understanding doesn’t always equate to stoopid… so we provide what information is available, and share insight we’ve learned along the way :smiley:

1 Like

I downloaded it…I “selected” about 30 Jeopardy episodes. It ripped the most recent two, and now it doesn’t rip anything. It starts “initializing” then all the selected disappears from the selected list and nothing is ripped to the destination folder. Help!

I think the first thing @CycleJ will ask you to do is to enable logging on the configuration tab to see if a error message is being displayed.

If that doesn’t help, I’m sure @CycleJ will be able to provide additional help.

I did enable logging…nothing showed up as “error” Not sure if an error message is worded differently?

Did you make any other changes on the configuration tab, such as checking “Exclude series/episodes”?

If “Skip incomplete” is checked, is it possible that there is a problem with the other episodes?

1 Like

I unchecked “skip incomplete” just to be sure. made no other changes.