Tablo Quad vs Tablo 4-tuner?

So other than the ability to install your hard drive into the Quad, what other differences would there be between these two models? Do they provide the same interface? And more importantly, when will it be available?

Same interface. Out in April 2019.

New Tablo QUAD has a better amplified 1x4 splitter / tuner in it.

Huh, so given this, would seem best to hold off on purchasing until April. Not a very good marketing approach.
So other than having the ability to record up to 4 shows with the quad/4 tuner, is there a limit to how many devices can play back different recordings simultaneously? And if I had 4 recordings going on, does this mean that I can’t watch recordings?

You can watch any recordings locally even when all 4 tuners are recording. You can watch on 6 devices simultaneously. This will answer almost all of your questions:

https://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us

You could theoretically watch 6 different recorded shows on 6 different devices [assuming none of them are being viewed via Tablo Connect in a scenario that would require using a tuner to transcode them (remote quality set to anything but Full) reducing the number of tuners available to record from 4 to 3] while recording 4 live shows at the same time. Having said that, I’ve never actually tried that scenario to see if there is any noticeable performance impact.

Great thanks… I think I’m just a bit gun shy since my current Frontier box has odd limits that, for example, force me to switch to one of the two (limit) currently recording shows if I want to watch a 3rd channel. For the price I’m paying this is ridiculous.

One last thing. Not helpful to have a product not yet available as your leading ad banner product. It’s misleading.

When you hit learn more on the ad it clearly says: “The new product will ship in late March at an MSRP of $199.99 USD or $259.99 CAD.”

will our tablo 4 tuner get the commercial skip feature in an upgrade ?

Yes, it will.

" AND a new feature (coming soon) that will automatically skip commercials within recordings on all Tablo DVRs"

For those wanting to see a hands-on review of the new Tablo Quad see this YouTube video (from Cord Cutters News).

Interesting video for me, but I haven’t purchased the Quad yet and that will be my first Tablo.
No mention made of the improved connectivity which actually interests me more than watching someone use an app that is pretty much available on all of the Tablos (correct?). Gigabit ethernet on the Quad if I remember right and improved wifi? My house is wired ethernet. Patch panel in the basement and a 24 port gigabit switch so I just patch in whatever port I want live. My goal will be to have the Tablo on ethernet as well as the living room Roku Ultra (arriving tomorrow). Then I’ll move the current streaming stick+ to the bedroom TV (about 30 feet from the router) and try it on 5GHz wifi. I have 4 TVs total. 3 of them will be on antenna so we can watch live TV directly on the TV if we want. The guest room TV will get another streaming stick+ as will the Kitchen TV.
Nice video though. Very helpful in terms of seeing what this is going to look like and how it works.

Yeah, AFAIK same software interface regardless of Tablo model. Wired ethernet will give you the most stability, but many folks have great success with wireless too - it’s just that with wireless there’s always the chance of interference from other sources/neighbors/etc.