Tablo Quad/Roku Ultra freeze

Roku updated on 10/20/2022 to 11.5.0 build 4225-46, and since then I haven’t experienced any “lockups” while viewing recordings. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Same (similar) ptoblem here… and repeatable…

1. Play something, live TV, recording, just something
  2. pause the playback
  3. Wait until the Roku screen saver starts (not my default, just the flying purple “Roku” text
  4. press the back button on the remote (the one with the back arrow on the upper left of the remote ←
  5. the screen goes back to the last video frame from behind the paused screen
  6. hit the back button (again) to get out of this hang-up condition
  7. Bingo!! you got a winner!! black screen

The only escape from this is hitting the home button…

Latest Roku release, latest Tablo release…
Roku Premire+

1 Like

If I remember correctly the tablo roku app uses the roku video player that comes with the Roku OS. To me it seems that everything you are doing is interfacing directly with Roku software. If so why have you report the problem to Roku?

There is a topic I started there on the subject:

1 Like

Murphy’s Computer Law:
Peers Law: “The solution to a problem changes the nature of the problem.” - John Peers

Apparently OS 11.5.0 build 4225 changed the behavior of the problem, but I still get a black screen lockup when clicking the Back button after I finish watching a program. It seems to occur fairly consistently now.

1 Like

Roku software .4235 rolling out now.

The Software Version 11.5.0 Build 4235 has not helped with this problem. I continue to have these black screens. Another problem with Tablo that just started is my commercials do not skip anymore. I paid for that service!

It works with the Roku Media Player, playing from a DLNA server on my home network… the same steps as above… (presumably the Roku Media Player app uses the same core video display capability as the Tablo app uses, the play timeline graphic is identical)

Steps 1-4 above identically on the Roku and in step 5 the system works correctly…

1. Play an mp4 from a local streaming DLNA server
  2. pause the playback
  3. Wait until the Roku screen saver starts (the flying purple “Roku” text)
  4. press the back button on the remote ( ← )
  5. the screen goes back to the last video frame from behind the paused screen
  6. hit the back button (again)
  7. The Roku Media Player menu for “Resume”/“Play from beginning” appears
  8. The Roku Media Player app works normally

My simple conclusion is that:

1. It is likely true that the Tablo app uses the Roku media player functionality by calling some API somewhere…
  2. The Tablo does not handle the return from the Roku media player for some reason, and the Tablo does not correctly resume control of the Tablo app.

Who’s fault? Not sure… but Tablo and Roku need to figure it out…

I posted this on both the Tablo and Roku groups…

ROKU TV, OS 11.5:
I have a potential work-around to the freezing that occurs when I’m watching a recorded show and want to stop watching it and then delete it. First off, it doesn’t always freeze, but the steps when it does freeze are: watch a recorded show, while it is playing but hasn’t ended, I hit the BACK button. Then it freezes. I have to hit the HOME button to fully get out of the Tablo.

Last night, when I wanted to go back and forth between two shows that were recording at the same time (one was a world series game, the other was a football game), I was getting the freezing when I hit the BACK button while watching one show with the intent to switch to the other show. So instead, I hit the PAUSE button when I wanted to stop watching one show, then I hit the BACK button, and it never froze and I was able to watch the other show. I’d say I did this sequence at least 5 times and it didn’t freeze once. It isn’t a fully scientific proof that the workaround always works, but it does look promising.

Ideally I’d like Roku and/or Tablo to find and fix the problem, but if all it takes is for me to PAUSE prior to hitting BACK, it’s a pretty good workaround to prevent the freezing.

I’ll have to try that but if memory is serving me I think I tried the “Pause” then Back button and have seen it lock up this way as well. However most of the time I just hit the “Back” button initially then get the lockup.

Hi @BamaInArk and @MSR. Just out of curiosity, on occasions where you both have seen this freezing occur, did the Roku ever go to screensaver (say, while you had it paused to get up and go something before coming back) during the session? We may have identified an issue in that area.

If not, are you able to reproduce it reliably by simply starting a recording, and then shortly after backing out of it (with no pausing or screensaver occurring)?

Unsure about the Screensaver issue however I will say I can get the lockup/freeze issue by beginning to view a program and then decide to “Back” out and get the screen freeze issue. That actually just happened to me yesterday. Matter of fact the screen freeze happened to me several times this weekend doing the above. Reliably however maybe not. It is very random.

I will say I have never had the screen freeze while allowing the screensaver to come up during an extended “Pause”

I went ahead and started watching a recording, then I paused it, went away for about 15 minutes, came back and screensaver was displayed. I immediately hit the BACK button, and it did freeze!

I don’t typically do that during normal usage. I cannot reliably reproduce the freeze either. It doesn’t always happen. It seems to happen the most when I watch a recording to near the end of it and then hit the BACK button to stop watching it.

I have the same thing happening with my Tablo Quad.

If i am playing a recording, and it finishes and i click Back i get a blank/black screen.

Then i have to click on the home button and relaunch the tablotv app.

I am running Roku O/S 11.5.0 Build 4235-29 and TabloTV F/W 2.2.42.

1 Like

Any update with this issue? Seems to be getting worse for me. It doesn’t happen all the time but it’s happening probably 75% of the time now.

Another thing I am noticing is that after the blank screen occurs and hit the Home button and go back to the Tablo to delete the program the deletion process seems to be delayed quite a bit. I can leave it on this screen for an extended amount time waiting for the thumbnail for the program to disappear and takes quite a while. Sometimes I just exit this screen and eventually check the program an it eventually gets deleted. It’s almost like there is some software glitch occurring and having issues with the deletion process.

I have the exact same problem, and was hoping to find a solution here. My Tablo is not the Quad though. The Tablo screen doesn’t mention the hardware model, but I’ve had it since 2016. It’s a 2-tuner version using an USB-attached 1TB drive.

Tablo firmware: 2.2.42
Roku 4800X software 11.5.0 - build 4235

Same Here - Quad - 2.2.42; 11.5.0 build 4235

Have any of you tried disabling the screensaver to see if that helps?

My screensaver have been disabled for over a year on my Roku express 4k. Before the last firmware from Tablo and Roku, my Roku had some freeze. But no freeze since the last firmwares. Roku Express 4k OS 11.5.0 build 4235-CR. Tablo : 2.2.42.

The Roku screensaver has not caused a freeze for me yet. Mine is always backing out of a recorded program so I can delete it. Then i get the black blank screen and have to exit out and restart the Tablo app.