Tablo Quad ATSC 3.0 questions

If I purchase a new Quad ATSC 3.0 Tablo, can I continue to use my current Tablo on my wifi network to stream recordings? Also, would I have to purchase an additional guide subscription or would both Tablos be able to use the one guid subscription? What I would do is put the new Tablo on my living room TV and still rely on my Roku devices to stream recordings from my current Tablo over wifi like I am doing now.

Thanks
Jim

Yep! But you won’t be able to access your ATSC 3.0 Tablo on other TVs in the home.

IF your Tablo subscription account was created prior to March 7th, 2019 you can work with support to add your new Tablo to your existing account. (More details here: Tablo News: Updates on Cloud DVR & Automatic Commercial Skip, Changes to TV Guide Subscription Accounts | Over The Air (OTA) DVR | Tablo)

IF your Tablo subscription account was created after those policy changes, each Tablo on your account will require its own subscription if you want to have subscription features on both.

You can still watch live TV and set manual recordings without one.

Thanks. I purchased my Tablo in 2015 and have had a guide subscription since then. Paid montly.

Jim

Then you’re all set. You’ll just need to touch base with support once you’ve got the new Tablo set up to get it added to your account.

Do you have any idea when they will be available?

No ETA yet… Still working away on some final items.

Another question. How is it that the HDHomrun flex 4k can stream ATSC 3.0 over the home network on their Roku app and Tablo can’t.

Jim

If you go to the hdhomerun forums and review nickk’s answers you might indirectly find the answer.

Of course tablo support might not want to spend their whole career answering questions about ac-4 audio. eac-3 5.1 is bad enough.

Pretty much.

Plus, the Tablo ATSC 3.0 QUAD HDMI is an officially licensed Dolby AC4 device and therefore can only provide playback of ATSC 3.0 content on officially licensed devices. Other companies as mentioned may have chosen an unlicensed approach.

I have the HDHomerun Flex 4K, and while it does stream video, the audio doesn’t work on ATSC 3.0 channels on my Roku devices. It does work most of the time on my FireTV devices (there are times when I am kicked back to the main menu when watching ATSC 3.0 channels). The XBox One and Windows PC work virtually all the time with the ATSC 3.0 channels.

The frustrating part of ownership is this - support fixes a problem today. Then the broadcaster makes a few changes, and guess what? Something breaks. Support takes a few days to fix it. Then it restarts again.

To be honest, it is nothing more than a “toy” right now. 100% of my recordings (stuff I really want to watch) are on my Tablo devices - because it works 99.9% of the time (nothing is perfect). So, reality is I spent $200 on a toy, that is neat and fun to play with, but I don’t rely on it for watching most of the time…

SiliconDust (maker of the HDHomerun) has always been one of the “first release” companies, and they have worked hard to make things work, and eventually it gets there. If you want something today, be prepared for bumps in the road. It may be 1-2 years of ownership before it works close to perfectly.

Tablo makes sure it works virtually all the time before it is released, and there are very few bugs.

4 Likes

Does that mean that Roku would have to license their device with Dolby AC4 before you could stream over it?

Yes and it would also have to support any DRM or HTML5 features that are also required for the new standard.

Since so much about ATSC 3.0 is still ‘in progress’ we’ll be focusing on a TV-connected experience so we can make sure that all of the features of NextGen TV work as they should.

I thougtht ac-4 sound is required by the standard since it’s the only supported audio format.

And DRM and HTML5 is optional. And that it’s the OTA broadcasters who decide to use or not use that part of the specification.

Just thought of another question. My main TV is on the opposite side of the house from my internet router/access point. It is not possible to connect a TV connected Tablo to the internet wired via ethernet. Will the new Tablo Quad be wifi capable to connect to my router for guide data?

Thanks
Jim

Yes, it will be wifi capable. Check out the following link for more information.

Have you considered allowing us to stream the ATSC 1.0 content?

Not at this time. We’re trying to ensure that whatever we provide works equally on both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 channels so there’s no guessing for the end user.

Tried searching this subject but didn’t come up with anything so…
Are there any new updates on the release of the Quad ATSC 3.0?

2 Likes

Not at the moment. We’re still working away on things and getting closer all the time. As always, we’d rather get this product ‘right’ than rushing something that’s not quite ready. And there are A LOT of new things to consider with ATSC 3.0.

As soon as we have some pertinent updates to share, we’ll make sure to email everyone who has a pre-order placed.

3 Likes

I might be wrong, but I saw somewhere the ATSC 3 model has to be “totally redesigned” and almost started as new, so a LONG way off. Not even this year or early 2023.