Tablo Quad ATSC 3.0 questions

Hopefully with that redesign timeframe a new AC-4 licensed decoder solution via internet so we can get all of our ATSC 1.0 televisions back! crosses fingers Seems more like politics/money than an actual technical barrier. Share cost/ability onto premium subscribers or perhaps get a senator involved with the FCC? I’m rooting for TABLO since their interface and hardware is simply the best on the market. ATSC 3.0 audio upgrade - Page 10 - Silicondust

From what we understand of Dolby’s license requirements for AC-4, the decoding would need to be done on the viewing device and not elsewhere. That means we’ll need to wait for streaming devices and Smart TVs to catch up on their codecs.

1 Like

For us thinking ahead are there any streaming device you’ve found good compatibility with in the lab so far?

You mean the Dolby AC-4 police caught nickk using the cloud and he’s now in supermax?

1 Like

That’s exactly the politics discussion we need! Has anyone reached out to Dolby? I believe HDhomerun bypassed this step and is operating unofficially, but perhaps Dolby can amend such a policy.

When you are talking about a technology covered by a patent what does politics have to do with anything?

Dolby earns revenue by selling licenses. No revenue, no dolby and no new dolby technology.

1 Like

Trying to get clear about just one issue…it looks like this HDMI ATSC 3.0 DVR can only be used with one TV. Curious why your first ATSC 3.0 DVR doesn’t work like your classic model, putting the transduced TV signals on my home network where I can use them with any streaming box in my house? We have 3 TV’s, it isn’t practical for us to spend $900 on ATSC 3.0 DVR’s, so we’ll be waiting until there’s a model where one DVR can be used on multiple TV’s. From the looks of it, it’ll be a long wait.

Or am I interpreting this incorrectly…can one of these HDMI ATSC 3.0 DVR’s be used on more than one TV?

Thanks for explaining.

Unless something has changed Tablo is unwilling to commit to a streaming ATSC 3.0 DVR because of technical challenges. Compatibility with the new audio formats on streaming devices is extremely poor. Other companies are experiencing similar challenges.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.