Tablo Plex Channel - Tablo Connect?

why when i go through the webui to watch something is it opening a new tab with and address like this?

tablo://channel/eyJhcnQiOiAiaHR0cDovLzczLjE2LjE2Ny4xNzI6MTgwODAvc3RyZWFtL3RodW1iP2lkPTE4MzcwNiIsICJvYmplY3RJRCI6IDU4LCAicHJpdmF0ZV9pcCI6ICI3My4xNi4xNjcuMTcyIiwgInJlbGVhc2VZZWFyIjogMCwgImR1cmF0aW9uIjogMTgwMDAwMCwgImlkIjogIjU4IiwgImVwaXNvZGVOdW1iZXIiOiAwLCAic2VyaWVzVGh1bWIiOiAiaHR0cDovLzczLjE2LjE2Ny4xNzI6MTgwODAvc3RyZWFtL3RodW1iP2lkPTE4MzcwNCIsICJ0aXRsZSI6ICJQaXBwaSBMb25nc3RvY2tpbmciLCAiY2FsbFNpZ24iOiAicXVibyIsICJjaGFubmVsTnVtYmVyTWFqb3IiOiA2OCwgInR5cGUiOiAiU2VyaWVzIiwgInNlYXNvbk51bWJlciI6IDAsICJkZXNjcmlwdGlvbiI6ICJQaXBwaSBqb2lucyBDYXB0YWluIExvbmdzdG9ja2luZyBvbiBhIGpvdXJuZXkgdG8gYSByZW1vdGUgTm9ydGhlcm4gQ29tbXVuaXR5IHRvIGRlbGl2ZXIgc3VwcGxpZXMuIiwgInNjaGVkdWxlIjogeyJzdGF0ZSI6ICJub25lIn0sICJvcmlnaW5hbEFpckRhdGUiOiAiMTk5OC0wNy0wNCIsICJjaGFubmVsTnVtYmVyTWlub3IiOiAyLCAiYWlyRGF0ZSI6ICIyMDE0LTEyLTE1VDIyOjMwWiIsICJjYXN0IjogWyJNZWxpc3NhIEFsdHJvIiwgIlJpY2hhcmQgQmluc2xleSIsICJOb2FoIFJlaWQiLCAiT2xpdmlhIEdhcnJhdHQiLCAiTGVuIENhcmxzb24iLCAiV2F5bmUgUm9ic29uIiwgIlJpY2sgSm9uZXMiLCAiUGhpbGlwIFdpbGxpYW1zIiwgIkNocmlzIFdpZ2dpbnMiLCAiQmVuZWRpY3QgQ2FtcGJlbGwiLCAiSmlsbCBGcmFwcGllciIsICJLYXJlbiBCZXJuc3RlaW4iLCAiUmF5IExhbmRyeSJdLCAiZGlyZWN0b3JzIjogW10sICJjaGFubmVsTnVtYmVyIjogIjY4LTIiLCAiZXBUaXRsZSI6ICJQaXBwaSBHb2VzIFVwIE5vcnRoIiwgIm9yZGVyIjogMzN9

any ideas?

I would like to access my Tablo remotely from another network with a PC.  I have my Plex set up so I am able to access it and I just added the Tablo channel to my Plex.  Do I need to do anything else to get it to work?  Do I need to do something with the IP Override in settings?  Thanks.

@DoveMan

Is the computer hosting your Plex Media Server on the same local network as your Tablo?

Or is your PMS trying to connect to a remote atablo?

My Plex Server is on the same network as my Tablo.  I’m going to test it out today.

@DoveMan

If it’s on the same network then you don’t need to use the IP Override feature. Tablo plugin in Plex will find the Tablo automatically.

What you need to do is configure Plex Media Server for remote use. This has nothing to do with the Tablo. If you can access all the media on your PMS remotely then you can access the Tablo channel. Go to the Plex website for help with this, you will need to forward ports on the router to the computer hosting the PMS.

However, why not just use the my.tablotv.com website in the Chrome browser on this remote PC? If it’s a laptop, just bring it home and pair it on your local network. If it’s a desktop, then you can pair the PC using a VPN client on the Remote Desktop. Run a VPN server on your router or a computer that is connected locally.

I have not been able to get my Tablo working with the remote access so I decided to use my Plex to do this.  I tried to access my Tablo with my Plex from a remote computer this morning, it sees all my recorded shows but will not play them.  I am able to watch shows from my Plex library but not the Tablo shows.  I am accessing through Chrome from a remote desktop.  I get a message “There was a problem playing this item”.  Any thought?     

@DoveMan

Let’s get Tablo Connect working. Plex playback can be problematic. Can you get Plex to play recordings when connected locally at home?

1. What is the brand and model of the modem you have?
  2. What is the brand and model of the router you have?

@theuser86

When I’m at home Plex works with The Tablo recordings.  FYI I am not at home right now. 

1. Actiontec C1000A is my Modem / Router through CentryLink.
2. I also have a Netgear N600 router i’m using as a switch to expand my wired connections.  I have (2) Roku 3, a Tablo and two desk top PC all wired with one spare my son uses to wire his lap top when he is gaming.   

@DoveMan

The real question here is the Netgear router properly configured as a switch. Is the DHCP server on the Netgear disabled?

What is the IP address of the modem? And what is the IP address of the Tablo?

So yes, when you get home you can troubleshoot with answers to the above.

@theuser86

I set up the Netgear like 12 months ago to be a switch and I remember needing to disable something but I don’t remember what.  My home network works great so I’m guessing it was the DHCP server I disabled.  

1) How do I check to see if the DHCP server is disabled? 
2) Would my home network work if it wasn’t already disabled?
3) I will get back to you on the IP adresses. 

@DoveMan

1. Log in to the Netgear router and you can tell.
  2. Yes it would still work, it will just be a multiple NAT environment. This is a no no in networking but it happens all the time.

@theuser86

1) I’m unable to log into my Netgear router.  It doesn’t show up at all in my network.
2) What will you do with my IP addresses?    

@DoveMan

1. If the IP address of your modem/router is 192.168.1.1 then when you configured the Netgear you should have set the IP to 192.168.1.2. Basically have it on the same subnet as the modem so it’s still accessible.
  2. These are all internal IPs so I can’t do anything malicious with them. But it will let me know if you’re using a NAT behind a NAT which is why Tablo Connect cannot work.

My Tablo IP is 192.168.0.11 My Modem IP is 192.168.0.1  does that seem right? 

@DoveMan

Yes that does seem right. But I want to make sure the firewall is off on the Netgear as well.

Does 192.168.0.2 get you to the Netgear?

If his PC is connected to the router wont that be the Default Gateway address?

CMD
ipconfig

@roraniel I’m using the Netgear as a switch the Actiontec C1000A is my Modem / Router through CentryLink.

@theuser86 192.168.0.2 does not let me log into the netgear. 

I tried it again today at my out of network computer and it works on some of the Tablo recordings using the Plex Channel but doesn’t work on others.  It doesn’t work with live TV.  I’m going to work with Tablo techs and get the Tablo remote to work.  Thanks

I have been using my Simple TV to remote access recordings on my home network but it appears to have died, so I’m trying to set up my Tablo for remote access using Plex. I installed the Plex server and the Tablo plug-in. (Windows 7 - 64b - Lenovo Thinkpad T420 - 8 gigs of RAM. My router is ASUS RT-N56U. I am not great with the networking tech.)

To test everything I installed the Plex client on my Android phone and using my data plan, tried to access my Tablo. I created a separate id for it and friended it with the Plex server user id.

So mobile Plex does not see anything related to the Tablo. I don’t have any shared libraries - does that matter? I don’t want to pay for the premium version of Plex on the phone (since the friends and family I want to grant access probably won’t) or the desktop (until I know it will work) but I will pay for premium on the desktop if that will make it work.

I will say that I’m kind of bitter that I’m having to look at paying another $150 on top of my Tablo hardware/lifetime sub to get a feature that Simple TV had. Granted that’s about all it had going for it but it worked…

If there is a link to step by step instructions, I would appreciate that. I’m kind of floundering here. Thanks!

You can access the Tablo remotely without using Plex. The Tablo has a built in feature called Tablo Connect. You can access the Tablo and play Live TV and recordings on a smartphone, tablet, or Fire TV. Smartphones can be Android devices or iPhones. Tablets can be Android devices or iPads.

Read here:
http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/202200368-Chapter-6-Connecting-to-Tablo-Away-from-Home