Tablo Plex Channel - Tablo Connect?

@DoveMan

1. Log in to the Netgear router and you can tell.
  2. Yes it would still work, it will just be a multiple NAT environment. This is a no no in networking but it happens all the time.

@theuser86

1) I’m unable to log into my Netgear router.  It doesn’t show up at all in my network.
2) What will you do with my IP addresses?    

@DoveMan

1. If the IP address of your modem/router is 192.168.1.1 then when you configured the Netgear you should have set the IP to 192.168.1.2. Basically have it on the same subnet as the modem so it’s still accessible.
  2. These are all internal IPs so I can’t do anything malicious with them. But it will let me know if you’re using a NAT behind a NAT which is why Tablo Connect cannot work.

My Tablo IP is 192.168.0.11 My Modem IP is 192.168.0.1  does that seem right? 

@DoveMan

Yes that does seem right. But I want to make sure the firewall is off on the Netgear as well.

Does 192.168.0.2 get you to the Netgear?

If his PC is connected to the router wont that be the Default Gateway address?

CMD
ipconfig

@roraniel I’m using the Netgear as a switch the Actiontec C1000A is my Modem / Router through CentryLink.

@theuser86 192.168.0.2 does not let me log into the netgear. 

I tried it again today at my out of network computer and it works on some of the Tablo recordings using the Plex Channel but doesn’t work on others.  It doesn’t work with live TV.  I’m going to work with Tablo techs and get the Tablo remote to work.  Thanks

I have been using my Simple TV to remote access recordings on my home network but it appears to have died, so I’m trying to set up my Tablo for remote access using Plex. I installed the Plex server and the Tablo plug-in. (Windows 7 - 64b - Lenovo Thinkpad T420 - 8 gigs of RAM. My router is ASUS RT-N56U. I am not great with the networking tech.)

To test everything I installed the Plex client on my Android phone and using my data plan, tried to access my Tablo. I created a separate id for it and friended it with the Plex server user id.

So mobile Plex does not see anything related to the Tablo. I don’t have any shared libraries - does that matter? I don’t want to pay for the premium version of Plex on the phone (since the friends and family I want to grant access probably won’t) or the desktop (until I know it will work) but I will pay for premium on the desktop if that will make it work.

I will say that I’m kind of bitter that I’m having to look at paying another $150 on top of my Tablo hardware/lifetime sub to get a feature that Simple TV had. Granted that’s about all it had going for it but it worked…

If there is a link to step by step instructions, I would appreciate that. I’m kind of floundering here. Thanks!

You can access the Tablo remotely without using Plex. The Tablo has a built in feature called Tablo Connect. You can access the Tablo and play Live TV and recordings on a smartphone, tablet, or Fire TV. Smartphones can be Android devices or iPhones. Tablets can be Android devices or iPads.

Read here:
http://support.tablotv.com/hc/en-us/articles/202200368-Chapter-6-Connecting-to-Tablo-Away-from-Home

I need non-paired access. My kid in Oregon isn’t going to mail me her phone, neither is my friend in Chicago… Even at work, we can’t bring in non-sanctioned devices to use on the network.

Editing to add, poking around in the Plex settings and came across this page:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200931138-Troubleshooting-myPlex-Server-connections

I’m assuming this will take awhile to setup, since it looks like I have the double NAT thing. So no easy or quick fix. I’ll need to set aside some time to work through it. I know Tablo has a lot of things on the to-do list but this is #1 to me.

I’m wondering if it might be easier to try and automate the 2 or 3 shows to download and share that way. Again, something that Tablo doesn’t make easy. (Although FYI to devs - if/when the API is available, I will pay for a solution that makes this whole process simple. I’m probably not the only one either.)

You are correct, if you are running a router behind a router (aka Double NAT) then yes you will have problems accessing your Plex Media Server remotely.

Note, if you were running Double NAT, you would have issues using Tablo Connect as well. Double NAT is a big no-no when it comes to networking.

You need to solve your networking issues first. If you can put your modem in bridge mode then you will remove the Double NAT. Your modem likely has a built-in router function which you need to disable, this is done by putting the modem in bridge mode.

We can try to help you do that, what is the make and model of your modem? And what is the make and model of your router?

Thanks for your kind offer to help but it will have to wait until I have time to work on it, which probably won’t be for a couple of weeks. I may take you up on it then.

Although the networking issue explains why I can’t watch my Tablo locally when my internet access goes out. (Thankfully not often.)

What am I missing here David?
I can’t get either the normal or the beta Plex channel to work from remote of my home network on iOS anything.
All other Plex content works perfectly.
The beta channel won’t even work internally on iOS (while the normal channel does).

I must be missing something because it sounds like it works for others.

My iOS Plex simply says An Unknown Error Occurred -12880.

thanks for your help.
Chris

Until Tablo releases their new API, development on the Tablo channel for Plex has stopped. This is an unofficial 3rd party plugin so you’ll have to wait until it’s fixed.

Why not just use Tablo Connect to access the Tablo remotely?

I understand that the makers of this plugin are waiting for the new API to come out, but would this explain why I only have access to live TV via the Plex channel? All the other items just say the folder is empty. Tried removing the channel and re-adding, but no luck. Also tried resetting it, but same story. Any suggestions?

Edit: After recording something I’ve found that these sections are for watching what you’ve recorded. This leads me to a question about the API access. Can you not code any of the features of the app (recording, schedule, etc) into a 3rd party app? I love that I can access my live TV, but like many others in these forums, I’d like better integration into Plex or Kodi. I already have 2x Cubox’s and a Raspberry Pi with Kodi and PleXBMC. So, either is a viable option for me. I know there’s Smart TV and Kodi apps in the works, so I hope those come sooner than later. Is the 2.2 firmware going to speed up Android/iDevice/Connect access? Currently the lag switching to any different areas (Live TV, Prime Time, etc) takes forever to load.

I have been using the Tablo channel on Plex with 3 Samsung SmartTVs and a Samsung DVD Player for the last 4 months. Worked perfectly. Until the latest Tablo Maint release 2.2.6. It has totally broken the Tablo App under Plex. Tablo is not interested in supporting it since it is third party. Is anyone supporting this?

I haven’t heard of a new release of the Plex plugin in months.

This topic seems to have more info (but no recent activity on the software):

If a computer was on both networks then you could use a static route.