Tablo Longevity

So far so good. It hasn’t failed to record or split a show. And I am using a Seagate 4tb hard drive. It was the drive I was using with my old tablo. I used a 2tb western digital before I got the 4tb Seagate both drive worked fine for me. I would like to know if anyone has used a 8 tb Seagate drive from Amazon. Also do you think if you got a hard drive with it’s own power supply if the tablo would run a little cooler. Just asking mine is real warm but my old one was just as warm

Get a $10 laptop fan from Amazon and it will run cool. Been working fine with 2TB seagate usb portable drive for 3.6 yrs now. No problems.

I think that’s not a bad idea. The power delivered by a USB 2.0 port is fairly low and may not be sufficient to power the hard drive. Win-win I think.

Purchased first tablo in Jan.2017. Within 5 to 6 months began having tuning issues, which took about 4 months to fix. Tablo was running hot, and tuner went from receiving 20 plus channels to just 5 or 6. The people at tablo insisted the problem was on my end. I changed everything there after from new cable with new connectors, new antenna, booster, amp, filter… no tuning improvement. Finally I had a Tech on the phone with me to remotely analyze the changes on my end were not showing the results he expected, that is when they gave in to send me a new unit.
New unit has been running well. Still slow as dial up with syncing! and tablo is worthless with Chromecast. It seems to work well with Apple tv2.
Anyway,I like the idea of the product, but I am not impressed with the performance and tech support. There is lots of room for improvement.

Of course a month after posting to this thread about longevity my orignal tablo 4 tuner ethernet port finally bit the dust and no amount of CPR with tablosupport could resurrect it (even to fallback to use wifi was doa). They did offer a small discount to replace from their site, but I could still find it cheaper on Amazon.

I just wish in 2018 that I wasn’t buying 2014 hardware, and that a new and improved revision would have been out by now.

2 Likes