Tablo keeps restarting - about to send it back

Brand new Tablo 2 tuner - install was smooth - everything is hardwired on 1Gbps
Latest firmware update and watching live TV via a ROKU 4 - no issues - till it start to reconnect.
First I thought it was the app however I now noticed that my Tablo keeps rebooting without any reason.
It does do that spontanous - sometimes after a few minutes sometimes longer
About to send the thing back - lemon??

It may just be getting too hot. Try to place it on its side, using a cooling mat, or place it in a cooler place. Overheating is usually the #1 cause for reboots.

It probably isn’t defective, but it is more sensitive to heat than it really should be.

you kidding me right - I would call that a design error

1 Like

A fan would make it too loud, so they are limited to what they can do cooling it.

I used to have reboot problems in the very beginning, but after putting it on its side over two years ago, I have had most one reboot.

I’ve seen Tablo reboot when tuning to a channel that’s no longer broadcasting, or a channel with a weak signal that’s dropped out. Seemed to pop up with the latest Tablo firmware, so I deleted the offending channels and haven’t seen the problem since.

I am a bit disappointed by the tuner - had a HDHomeRun device and all signals came in hard (full strength) whereas the Tablo gives me only a 3 for those channels. As a result the Tablo sees less channels as a whole - guess I need to drop more $$ to add a booster??

Is your antenna already amplified?

Sorry that’s what I meant - probably need to get an amplifier - really disapointed in having to do that given that all the HDHomeRun read the signals hard as well do my TV’s - this is getting an expensive little project

Ordered the pre-amp - got the thing on it’s side - stay tuned

The Tablo has an internal splitter, which might be enough signal loss in your setup to require a pre-amp or possibly a distribution amp.
How many splitters are in-line to your antenna connection and how long the coax run is, and even the quality of your coax terminations (compression fittings vs. crimped), can have a pretty profound effect on tuning.

The Antenna Clearstream 4V goes directly into my Tablo - 15ft cable (even replaced it) - I just added the Winegard LNA200 pre-amp in between and it only has gotten worse - even less channels now - I am confused - rechecked all connections in between - verified each coax independant. - no splitters -

Gerben1m
The Antenna Clearstream 4V goes directly into my Tablo - 15ft cable (even replaced it) - I just added the Winegard LNA200 pre-amp in between and it only has gotten worse - even less channels now - I am confused - rechecked all connections in between - verified each coax independant. - no splitters -

The Clearstream 4V is a great antenna, very strong signals usually. How far are you from the broadcast towers? You could be overpowering the Tablo tuners with the preamp.

You could try a signal attentuator to see if that helps. Or just try throwing a splitter before the Tablo to see if it helps.

Yea that’s what I was thinking - I am just outside the 285 in Atlanta - broadcast towers are about 15 miles out - I will play with it some more - at least the “Misses” must have channels are coming in hard also without the pre-amp - it’s channel 2, 5 and 11 that has issues - I can view them but the moment I try to record them Tablo tells me the signal isn’t strong enough.

Try a splitter before the Tablo - maybe it’ll help?

Are those possibly VHF channels in your area?
A quick google on my part shows channel 11 is digital VHF 10 (Station WXIA). If that is your channel 11, you may need to add a true VHF antenna to the mix. I have no experience with the 4V antenna’s VHF prowess, but I do know that VHF is trickier to receive than my UHF stations.

1 Like

I have a Clearstream 4V and the only stations I have problems with are the VHF stations. UHF channels from a lot farther away than the VHF channels are picked up perfectly.

The 4V has a combiner which combines the UHF and VHF antennas. This issue is likely because the VHF antenna is tiny in comparison to the UHF antenna.

I only use the UHF - I am actual bypassing VHF all together - my issue still remains the same - channels come in clear - they are all full green now - but the tablo keeps loosing connectivity with either FireTV or my IPad or Roku - all is hardwired, but the IPad obviously. rebooting itself or I get an error all of a sudden telling me Playback error - it’s all random. Tablo asked me to ensure my harddrive is powered, which I did. No changes. Removed the harddrive - same shit

I am 17 miles from the towers in Charlotte and had to remove my pre-amp. I was overpowering the tuners in the Tablo.

If you added the preamp and lost channels. Remove it. It’s most likely overpowering the Tablo tuners.

VHF channels are difficult to receive. Have you contacted the antenna vendor to see what they say? You may need to direct a portion of the antenna a different direction in order to receive those channels. I don’t know if you can do that with your antenna or not.

For abc in Philly is a real bear to get and sometimes I need to adjust the antenna to correct signal issues. But I also know the slightest change in the weather can impact the signal as well.

Also, try a pair of rabbit ears hooked directly to the tv and see if you are able to pick up those channels. If you can, you may want to combine antennas.

Where is the antenna mounted, attic or roof? If not on the roof, you may want to consider it. Any hills or trees in the way? Any materials if in the attic that could disrupt your signals?