Tablo keeps disconnecting almost every day

Have you updated to the latest release 2.14? My Tablo4 is as solid as Gibraltar. But maybe it would be good to give the support line a ring.

Are you using a wireless or Ethernet(wired) connection? Tablo appears to work best when wired directly.

I have my Tablo with a wired connect to my ATT Router. I upgraded to the max bandwidth. Also my Apple TV remote loses connection every 2 minutes. I have to keep pairing. I am getting very frustrated. I will be contacting Tablo and Apple. I wonder if it is Bluetooth problem. Thank you for your suggestion.

OK I will. Mine used to be until this last couple of weeks. Thank you.

Sorry for my ignorance. How do I update the software?

I don’t know if you can upgrade the Tablo firmware via Apple TV, but you can do it using a computer.
Use a web browser to go to:
http://my.tablotv.com

It should automatically prompt you to upgrade the firmware, if an upgrade is available.

Definitely give us a shout. We can take a look from here to see what’s causing the disconnects.

Hi, I am so frustrated with Tablo. It keeps turning off. I have updated to the latest firmware 2.2.16. When the blue light turns off I unplug the unit, wait a minute then reconnect. The blue restart button seems to have no effect. Then I have to go thru the finding routine again. I keep it on a porcelain candle holder that provides airflow for the heat that is generated. I am using ATT broadband with a repeater, an iPad, an AppleTV 4. Please help me. Thank you.

I think 2.2.16 has been pretty stable for most of us. Sounds like it’s time to contact @TabloSupport for deeper troubleshooting.

@prhodesbajaj - Sorry to hear that! When you say the light turns off, does it blink? Or is it just totally off?

I would definitely recommend touching base with our support gurus so we can get you back up & running: https://www.tablotv.com/ask-tablo/

I have been having same problem for about a month. After contacting support etc. I finally purchased a 4 channel tablo. At first it worked great but is now experiencing the same problem. Every night my router loses the tablo. I am wore connected using streaming from Roku.

I had this same problem. I wanted so badly to cut the cord and save by NOT paying for a cable bill that kept increasing and becoming unaffordable. But I needed to have at least local news recorded. I bought a 4 channel Tablo and was using it with a basic Roku stick. We also got Netflix, and I made a Plex Media Server out of an old laptop. The Tablo worked OK for a bit, although a bit clunky and not very fast, at least until the first firmware update.

After that, I could not stay connected. I tried everything I could find to try online. Eventually it began to work again, after leaving the tablo unhooked all night. And that was after many reboots and resets and any other tricks I could find to try from online.

I also had my Tablo on top of a laptop cooling pad so I figured we were all set now. This first Roku we used was a Roku Streaming Stick 3500R.

My son says for anyone out there, forget this stick, and just go right to the next better Roku, even if you have to look for a deal on a used one like we did on eBay. This 1st stick is too slow and too clunky, just not worth it.

We recommend at least the Roku 3 Streaming Player 4230R with Enhanced Remote. This will make things much better.

And if you really want to make your Tablo not have any problems with staying connected, then get the newer Roku Ultra - HD and 4K UHD Streaming Media Player. I believe this one is the newer Roku ultra 4400R model. This one is a quad core and will push those Tablo programs right through, instead of disconnecting.

With the Roku 3, 4230R model things were much better until the 2nd firmware update. Again the Tablo would not stay connected after this 2nd firmware update. I tried all the same things, hours of searching online, many reboots and resets, and probably 2 days turned off before it began to work better again.

Then came the 3rd firmware update. And by this time we were in the middle of a very hot summer, and nothing seemed to work to get the Tablo back up this time. After all the normal resets, and reboots, and leaving it off for many nights, I was ready to throw this thing out the window, out of absolute frustration.

But being the hardhead that I am, that cannot stand it when things do not work instead, I decided to really find out what I could do to fix things, no matter what I had to do. The first thing I did was to buy an actual fan, to blow right on the Tablo. While I waited for the fan to come by mail, I moved everything off the Tablo hard drive using Tablo Ripper and onto a server drive. I then formatted this Tablo drive and started from scratch.

Believe it or not, after the fan came, and we had it running right over the Tablo, that did wonders. I now realized that those laptop coolers they sell really do not do much at all. With just the fan, my Tablo was back up and running. But I was not satisfied, I want to do more and make sure it never happens again.

So that was when I emptied my Tablo drive and started over. My son then saw how I kept loosing the remote, and suggested I try the new Roku Ultra with enhanced remote and remote finder. And we wanted to see what this new quad core Roku could do with this Tablo. So I found a deal and ordered it after selling our Simple useless Roku Sticks to help pay for it.

Wow, I am in heaven with the new remote. Tablo is now fast, and I have not had a single disconnect since the fan and the new Roku system, not to mention all the other benefits of this Roku. I don’t see very well anymore and I can set this new Roku to talk and read things to me that I have a hard time seeing. If at night I don’t want to disturb anyone I can use a headphone, or it will help me find my remote. And wow, it has a really cool fish tank screen saver or you can choose others.

Ok, and the very last thing I did, but hated to do, was to get rid of my old out dated router that was great in its time, the D-link Dir-655.

The new ones mostly now have both Dual Band 2.4 GHz, and 5 GHz or called AC, along with features that focus a beam (beam forming technology) to reach further and cover more of your home. Wow, now we can run a tablet all over the house, our wifi stopped dropping at times, and our speeds have nearly doubled. We have tried the newer tp-links AC1900, the netgears AC1900, and the D-link AC1900, all great technology out now.

We are now in Tablo and technology heaven. Not a single Tablo or wifi drop out! I hope this information will help others from wasting hours and even days trying to figure out how to stop the Tablo Disconnects like I did. Start with the normal things and if those do not work, don’t spend hours on it. Get a better Roku, a good fan, and if you have to try a newer model refurbished router you can get cheap like a TP-Link Archer C9 AC1900 on eBay. NewEgg has them refurbished for about $65 on eBay or maybe a used one cheaper. Do that if you really want to solve the problem. If you are using low processing devices then move up a bit and make things really better.

My favorite is the Netgear Nighthawk AC1900, model (R7000) Dual Band Smart Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with Open Source Support. I always hate trying to set up new router. But now they make it so much easier, on every model we tried. They even show you a map of all your devices and specific information on each device. Pretty neat! And if you want to have more settings like reservations of static IPs, and port forwarding, these settings are there too!

1 Like