Tablo Exporter - Export Tablo Recordings

@crm1975 try something like this

ffmpeg -i http://whatevertheurlis -vcodec copy -acodec copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc  -crf 50 output.mp4

now you may need to adjust the crf from 50 down to a quality you are happy with, 22-23 is normal

@Jestep, thanks, I will give it a try, well as soon as this one gets done in 20 minutes or so.  Thanks

@beastman Standard DVD is MPEG 2 in a VOB wrapper.

This looks great…!! 

Often I just want to download a single show here or there and run it thru handbrake using my own preferred settings and this would seem to fit the bill … 

While there are other solutions folks have posted here (and those are amazingly full featured)… I really dont want or need an automated script that obsessively downloads every recording and convert it for me… Just a nice simple tool that you can pick and have it download a single (or perhaps a select few) recording directly in raw format (as it is on the tablo) is perfect…

(and also you are testing on OSX is great since thats my preferred OS … some of the other tools people have made don’t always work right)
1 Like
@beastman Standard DVD is MPEG 2 in a VOB wrapper.

Unless you got one of those media player kind that support playing various media files (like I do) then it will (in general) play an mp4 file on a standard data (non video) formatted CDR or DVDR

I burned a MP4 movie to a DVD but for some reason it didn't play in my parents DVD player.

sometimes those players require a VERY SPECIFIC format to the audio and video streams before they will accept and play the file… I know I struggle with the video headrests in our car … though it says “MP4” format it really only will play a very specific format of divx encoded media file.

Nice to see more people are working on exporting content.  I have a 1.5TB drive just about full and today I took it off the Tablo transfer the entire disk contents to my server.  Tablo has been very problematic with this nearly full drive, so I am trying some resets first before doing a full format of the drive.

Will this program you’re working on have a way to reach backup copies of the Tablo disk?  I can manually convert .TS files over to MP4, but it is a hassle.  The VLC method does not get full content, so that’s not usable for me.  Haven’t tried the other 2 Python conversions yet.  I’m on a Windows machine, and I am pretty sure both of them were created on Linux boxes.  Not that it can’t work, just that the process of setting up and working though the routines will be affected in Windows I’m sure.

Anyways, nice to see something else coming around.  I have spent hours looking on the internet for people that might have figured out a working and more simple method to get backups.  

-Rodger

SurLaTablo has been tested on both Windows and Mac.  While my development platform is Linux, it will work with the usual limitations of the OS that it resides upon.  Video on the SurLaTablo site exists showing Windows install of Python, ffmpeg and ccextractor and initial config.

@marjamar No, it relies on the same methods used by the Plex channel. But that is something I never though of before.

The plus with mine will be no install of ffmpeg needed, it is built in. 

Any eta for this?  I really like what cjcox has done with SurLaTablo (I’m an old command line guy myself) but really see the advantage of having a GUI interface.  I find myself going back to Tablo to see what “seasons” I’ve recorded and then back into Python command line to extract them with SurLaTablo for Plex.  Even though getting SurLaTablo up and running is fairly straightforward, it’s not for novices.  A GUI interface to extract shows from Tablo would open this capability up to the masses.

Any eta for this?  I really like what cjcox has done with SurLaTablo (I'm an old command line guy myself) but really see the advantage of having a GUI interface.  I find myself going back to Tablo to see what "seasons" I've recorded and then back into Python command line to extract them with SurLaTablo for Plex.  Even though getting SurLaTablo up and running is fairly straightforward, it's not for novices.  A GUI interface to extract shows from Tablo would open this capability up to the masses.

Could not agree more!

-Rodger

cjcox meet Jestep.   Jestep meet cjcox.  Maybe you can take the GUI benefits of what Jestep has created and use as a front end command line generator for SurLaTablo?  Looks like a marriage made in heaven to me!

No “gui” , however likely a web gui coming… stay tuned for work towards version 2.

Looking forward to it!!

Yes, I am a bit to busy to get back into command line at the moment.  It would be nice have html/javascripts do the bulk of the work.  While you’re at it, maybe consider a few of us use/have used MCEBuddy.  Maybe allow for it to work on the backside a bit to get rid of commercials and move finished mp4’s to proper PLEX directories.

Asking a bit much, but never hurts to ask, right?

-Rodger

Ok, I am going to put this out there… Remember it is very early, so some things may not work like expected. You must have the latest version of Java.

And before anyone says, “55MB?!!!”, it is large, but it is cross platform. I have tested in Mac and Windows would be nice to know if anyone can test in Linux, just too lazy to install right now.

http://jettsoft.com/products.html download Tablo Exporter and unzip to where ever you wish.

You should just need to double click the TabloExport.jar file. But if you run it command line using java -jar TabloExport.jar it will provide better detail for errors, etc...

Let me know any results you have or issues you find. 

I have a series of shows (Ascension is an example) where the season is Other and the episodes don’t have numbers.  Can the tool use the Episode title when creating the file as well as seasons and episodes?  Right now all the files would end up being named the same if I try to export all six episodes.

@luker, good catch, I will need to test that. I do add the number, but that will not work in the case you mention.

I liked that show… Wish it would go on

@luker, try downloading new version

Downloading…