Tablo Crashing Daily

I blacklisted some AWS servers one time and knocked out my Tablo. :rofl: There were some other thing hosted there I was trying to block at the time.

Perhaps your assumption the advanced security features were causing an issue is correct but your assumption of how they work is incorrect. I haven’t had that problem in relationship to Tablo or my current router but I have had to disable similar “security” features in the past to make services work.

Am I the only one that sees a higher then usual percentage of complaints involve Comcast? I don’t just mean Tablo Connect but anything that involves accessing a device from outside the home network. It’s possible they just have a big market share and also a bigger share of issues I suppose. Setup often seems more difficult and less reliable. Purely an unscientific survey of support threads on the internet. I used to see it regularly when I spent a lot of time with VOIP.

So back on topic, lol, it wasn’t my power supply, so I guess I’ll look for a new hard drive. Funny, It didn’t crash for almost a week, changed the power supply and it crashed within 24hrs.

I have also heard a lot of Comcast issues, not just with tablo. So not sure how much help I can give you. I also don’t remote to mine either.

Once again, lost remote access. Have direct ethernet connection to router, and have tried everything posted here I could find on restoring remote access. Only thing that seems to work is dis-enabling remote access and than immediately re-enabling it. Of course, this must be done by someone on the LAN where the Tablo is located. I am far away. Ready to give up on Tablo for remote access, which is the only reason I have it.

maybe it is the router, I had one that it would work fine and then just lose internet. I blamed my internet company. Turns out that router had a bug and needed a firmware upgrade. Hasn’t happened since. Might try to upgrade the firmware.

I don’t know how to initiate a firmware upgrade for my Comcast Supplied router which is made by Technicolor. I think my best option is to buy my own and give Comcast their modem/router back. I have given up trying to get help from Comcast Technical Support. They says things like " check to see if you have a good wireless signal to your device" after I tell them it is directly connected via ethernet. Then " try a new ethernet cable" after I tell them I have remotely checked the wired connection to the device and it is excellent. Also try rebooting the router, after I tell them I have done that multiple times. They then tell me it appears that my modem is operating properly from their end and there is nothing they can do. It is clear that they are just reading answers off a script and are not listening to what I say. After I press them further I am told a “upper level supervisor” was supposed to call after I was issued a ticket number, but of course they didn’t. Perhaps the most frustrating thing is the difficulty in getting through their automated voice menu. It just wants to reset your modem, send you text messages, and refer you to a website. All this obviously designed to save them money by restricting calls to people they have to pay.

2 Likes

As a technical user I would strongly advise you to get your own router, where YOU have control (assuming your ISP allows that). Once you get your own router you can easily manually setup “fixed” ports, LAN IP fixed for Tablo, and even DDNS for free. DDNS means your remote vpn connection can ALWAYS find your home network if the ISP changes IP’s and such. Setting a VPN on your router is quite easy to do. This allows you to fetch “remote connect” anytime you want without having to drive family at home crazy!

If your internet connection is fast enough on both ends (especially upload speed from LAN) you can always connect to home via VPN and literally watch your Tablo “locally” without ever needing remote connect. Remember the VPN puts you on LAN so watching through it is NOT remote connect ----- in essence you are inside your home on the local network as far as Tablo is concerned. You will need a higher end router that contains a processor with enough “power” to process encrypted data flow through the VPN tunnel. Just a thought.

1 Like

Thank you and all the others here who have posted valuable advice. Sounds like it’s time for me to buy a new router and set it up per your suggestions. No more calls to Comcast !

YES! :arrow_upper_right: :arrow_up: THIS :arrow_up: :arrow_upper_left:

Referring to the original issue here. I have the same problem. Every couple days or so my Tablo seems to lose connection to my Roku. Right in the middle of watching something. I try over and over to re-connect and sometimes it will finally work. If I power the Roku off and back on it will usually re-connect. Everything is on WIFI. Roku Streaming stick. 2 tuner Tablo.

Very annoying.

Replaced power supply as recommended. Didn’t help.

Don’t know your setup, but maybe try setting your WiFi to a different frequency channel, maybe you’re experiencing some random interference.

Some years ago I had a network printer that was literally 3 ft from the access point, and every few days I would find the printer disconnected. The router was auto selecting a different channel for Wi-Fi, and the printer was not smart enough to auto reconnect. Finally had to hardwire it.

For some reason I couldn’t find this thread earlier so I started a new one.

If I unplug the hard drive I don’t seem to have any problems. So I replaced the hard drive. That didn’t help. The only thing that seems to solve the problem is to leave the hard drive unplugged from the Tablo. So don’t think it is a WIFI issue.

What model of Tablo do you have? Is your hard drive internal or external? If external, when you replaced your hard drive did you also replace the cable from the Tablo to the hard drive? If you have an older 4 tuner model there are two USB ports and you could try the other USB port.

I got this discussion going in another thread. Maybe better to stop on this one and just use that.

It’s a dual lite, external. and yes new cable also.

What is name of other thread?

Roku Connection Dropping

https://community.tablotv.com/t/roku-connection-dropping/30339/4

My Tablo is constantly crashing as well. It is getting progressively worse. I have been trying for weeks to get it resolved but the Tablo support team is inept at best. I don’t know what to do! I have done everything they said including “We recommend adjusting the lease time from your network side as a next step.”, changing the power supply, changing the ethernet cable, updating the firmware and all of the other resets and reboots over and over. Sometimes now it will connect for a few minutes and disconnect. Today it will not connect at all. Keep in mind that it worked flawlessly for nine months and nothing at all in our house has changed or stopped working. We now can’t watch anything at all because we can’t connect and Tablo support insists there is nothing wrong at all HELP!!!

What type of device are you trying to access the Tablo from? Roku,PC, etc. What does your network setup look like?

I have a Roku. I am connecting wirelessly through an Arris Surfboard SBG7400AC2 router to all of the devices in our home which work flawlessly. I have set the DCHP for 7 days and it worked for a few hours. Now I can’t find the Tablo to connect at all.

Have you tried the Tablo website? http://my.tablotv.com/ to see if external sites can connect?