Tablo Crashing Daily

For the last week my Tablo seems to crash or disconnect at least once a day if not twice. It has done it while I’m watching it but most of the time it has crashed by the time I get home from work. The only way to get it back is to unplug it. Anybody else experiencing this?

Firmware is 2.2.40

It has been doing great up til recently. I have model: SPVR2-01-NA if that helps.

You might try giving more details on what you mean when you say it crashes. Without more specific details, the first thing I would recommend is to try a new power supply. Since your last post was 3 years ago, I’m assuming your Tablo is at least that old. Power supplies have been known to cause some types of crashes. Good luck.

That and hard drives. You might want to check that.

well I mean crashes like we are watching TV, recording or live, and then it comes up and says trying to connect to tablo. or when we aren’t watching it, Roku says it can’t connect. All lights are on and it looks fine, so only way to bring it back is to unplug it. I would say it is at least 7yrs old, lol. I am waiting for a new model that has wifi6. The next time it happens I will check the hard drive, but I doubt it is that.

I have the same model, and firmware with no issues.
The only thing that will crash my Tablo is trying to view, or record a weak channel.
I dropped all weak channels, and haven’t had an issue since.

Another possibility is the power adapter is flaking out.
Recommend getting a new one.
They’re cheap, and good to have a spare, even if it doesn’t solve your problem.

I have same problem. Tablo ethernet connection to Xfinity modem/router gateway. Ports configured using Tablo app to recommended manual port settings, 80 to 21926, 8887 to 21927, protocol tcp/udp, reserved ip address question: why is my device ip different what is posted here?) Remote access enabled and everything works fine for 24 hrs, then remote access lost. Call my sister where Tablo located, 1500 mi away, ask her to disable, then re-enable remote access using her iphone Tablo app. Message remote access enabled immediately appears and my remote connection is resumed. Have to do this everyday, getting old. Have seen suggestions to disable advance security feature on gateway, turn off udp protocol in favor of just tcp. Checked and public IP of Comcast not changing during problem, even though they are known to use dynamic ip’s. See many others here have same issue. Neither Comcast tech team nor Tablo support have been able to provide an answer.

Well it happened again last night. This time I rebooted the hard drive, and Tablo came back. So apparently my hard drive is on its way out? Western Digital is a good brand so this surprised me. I’ve had other hard drive last way longer.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am surprised a hard drive failure would cause the Tablo to crash. I can understand why recording would fail but not cause the Tablo itself to disconnect from remote access, which is my problem. Why would any hard drive failure cause the remote access to stop after evry 24hrs, almost like clock work? Possibly rebooting the hard drive causes the Tablo to reset itself and re-establish a remote connection? Last night I once again lost a remote connection to the Tablo ethernet connected to to the Xfinity router. Called my sister and had her disable remote access and then immediately re-enable it. Remote access was resumed immediately. This time I turned off UDP protocol and set only TCP. Will see if that makes any difference. I suspect the problem is the “Advanced Security” function which is activated by default on most new Xfinity routers. My hunch is it disconnects or otherwise interferes with the port traffic from the Tablo through the router since the Tablo is communicated with the Tablo server out of the country, in Canada. This would be automated each night through the Xfinity server. I wonder if Canadian users using Xfinity are seeing the same issue or not? Again this is just a hunch as I am not a trained tech, merely an inquisitive geek. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am surprised too, it shouldn’t make it not loadable, yes of course can’t record but at least let me watch live tv. I think I remember when I first bought it years ago that it required a hard drive to operate. You would think over time that they would at least update the firmware to allow live tv.

Maybe a weak power supply is not providing enough power for the hard drive during some operations.

Years ago I was using a Seagate USB drive with my Tablo, and it started getting really flaky (buffering, etc.). Swapped it out for an SSD thinking it was bad, but have been using the Seagate drive for at least 2 years on my PC with no issues. I didn’t think of it at the time, but I should have tried another power supply (this was with an OG 2-tuner Tablo).